Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Forester Automatic
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has an 04 FXT and she has been having turning issues for years.

I have finally had enough and am looking for the root of it all. She has aftermarket Perrin front and rear sway bars. The endlinks seem to look stock as well?

Basically the problem is when she has the wheel at full lock, the car clunks/jolts/grinds until you turn the wheel about 3/4 of a revolution out of the full lock.

I am going to get new endlinks, but is the problem deeper rooted? I am hoping it is just the old endlinks have gone bad.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 4EAT
65 Posts
I would recommend Kartboy Endlinks, I have the Perrin F&R Sway Bars with Perrin Endlinks and they are noisy.... the other issue might be that the sway bar bushings just need to be greased again.

If she has stock endlinks, I'm surprised she hasn't broken them already...... another issue is to make sure the rear sway bar hasn't "flipped upside down"

Good luck! Let us know what helps!

·
Registered
MY05 Forester 2.5 XT 5MT
2,737 Posts
Here's hoping it isn't a CV joint........

Droplinks/Endlinks are simple enough to change yourself.

·
Registered
2003 Forester Automatic
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think it is a CV? I've never had CV issues before, but from what I understand you hear the clunking all the time. This sound only appears when at full lock. For what its worth the sway bar near the endlinks looks like it rubs on something as well, some of the red paint has been rubbed off and the exposed metal is slightly rusted (beach town woes, rust on everything exposed).

·
Registered
2003 Forester Automatic
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Her boots look perfectly fine, and it only has 125k on it. Is there a reason for the fail? Or could it just be that the CVs are probably as old as the car and its time for replacement?

·
Administrator
15,361 Posts
For what its worth the sway bar near the endlinks looks like it rubs on something as well, some of the red paint has been rubbed off
Check this out first. CV joints, unless really worn, can sometimes only make a noise when turning. Also if driven slowly in a straight line they may make a "click, click" sound (windows open in an enclosed car park is a good place for this test).

·
Registered
2001 Forester
1,607 Posts
To prove it is not the end links, turn steering to lock and look underneath to see if anything is touching.

The CV axle joints are probably worn out, grease is dry inside the boots. 125,000 miles is considered long for front CV axles. I have replaced the front CV axles on my 2001 at least 3 times. My 2001 now has 215,000 miles.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Forester XT AT
85 Posts
I would also check the end linker...mine wore out and every time i make a left turn on to an uneven pavement it makes a clunk noise. The dealership thought it was my suspension and replaced them all under warranty but even after the replacement it still made that noise and ended up being the end linker. I had around 90k miles when it noticed the sound.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts