Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious,

Can factory 16" alloys on a 2002 Forester Sport (honeycomb style alloys) be swapped with the factory 5 spoke alloys (same tire size & everything) without any problems? (IE: 'plug & play' if you will without any modifications, offset's etc)? Please advise. :think: :) :bigok:

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Don't see why not. I'm running factory WRX alloys at the moment. The offset is slightly higher, but i've had zero clearance issues. As long as it's an OEM wheel, and it's a 5x100 wheel, it'll bolt right up without any problems.

There are some here who will tell you that it's not a great idea to run a higher offset wheels will stress the wheel bearings and lead to premature failure... i'm just not part of that school of thought. I've had zero problems.

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blitzoid said:
Don't see why not. I'm running factory WRX alloys at the moment. The offset is slightly higher, but i've had zero clearance issues. As long as it's an OEM wheel, and it's a 5x100 wheel, it'll bolt right up without any problems.

There are some here who will tell you that it's not a great idea to run a higher offset wheels will stress the wheel bearings and lead to premature failure... i'm just not part of that school of thought. I've had zero problems.
Thanks for your reply.....yup the both set's of alloys are factory.....I will post links.....

I am looking into this vehicle & want to take these rims off....(I do not like the look of these 'honeycomb' wheels personally & are pain to clean)

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=1415369&adid=5095541

& replace them (on the Grey 2002 Forester 'S' Sport I posted above) with these 5 spoke factory alloys....

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=1415369&adid=4485631

What do you think? :wtfeyes :)

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
If you want some extra $ for your old wheels I'm looking for a set to
mount summer tires on..

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
Lexusfreak said:
Thanks for your reply.....yup the both set's of alloys are factory.....I will post links.....

I am looking into this vehicle & want to take these rims off....(I do not like the look of these 'honeycomb' wheels personally & are pain to clean)

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=1415369&adid=5095541

& replace them (on the Grey 2002 Forester 'S' Sport I posted above) with these 5 spoke factory alloys....

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=1415369&adid=4485631

What do you think? :wtfeyes :)
Didn't realize both were factory forester wheels. In that case, the offsets should be identical, so you will have zero issues.

personsally, i was never a huge fan of the five-spoke design you have pictured. I thought the one used in the 2003-2005 XS was appreciably better, from an aesthetic standpoint. The soft, rounded, fat five spoke makes the wheels appear extra small, in my opinion, a visual queue which is doubly reinforced by the size of the tires found on foresters.

On my SF, which has 16" WRX wheels with tires in the OEM size, I have the tire effect (the 16" wheels look much smaller on an SF than they do on a WRX, since the tire is appreciably taller) but because of the thin, tapered spoke design of the wheels, the wheels themselves appear rather large, for 16s. The mesh wheels you have right now are similar - they appear large for 16s.

Now, all that aside - as this is being done for functional reasons on your part, and not aesthetic, I think you should get whichever wheels work the best for you. As long as they are OEM wheels from either a forester, an outback (NOT a legacy) or a Baja, the offset will be identical, and you'll have no fitment issues whatsoever.

Cheers.

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
SenorSubie said:
And impreza
Impreza wheels will fit (I am running WRX wheels, after all), but the offsets are higher. Same with the legacy wheels.

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
blitzoid said:
Didn't realize both were factory forester wheels. In that case, the offsets should be identical, so you will have zero issues.

personsally, i was never a huge fan of the five-spoke design you have pictured. I thought the one used in the 2003-2005 XS was appreciably better, from an aesthetic standpoint. The soft, rounded, fat five spoke makes the wheels appear extra small, in my opinion, a visual queue which is doubly reinforced by the size of the tires found on foresters.

On my SF, which has 16" WRX wheels with tires in the OEM size, I have the tire effect (the 16" wheels look much smaller on an SF than they do on a WRX, since the tire is appreciably taller) but because of the thin, tapered spoke design of the wheels, the wheels themselves appear rather large, for 16s. The mesh wheels you have right now are similar - they appear large for 16s.

Now, all that aside - as this is being done for functional reasons on your part, and not aesthetic, I think you should get whichever wheels work the best for you. As long as they are OEM wheels from either a forester, an outback (NOT a legacy) or a Baja, the offset will be identical, and you'll have no fitment issues whatsoever.

Cheers.
I am considering the wheel swap (if the dealership agrees to it that is) simply because I like the styling better.....they are easier to clean & because I will have zero issues with offset etc (thanks for clearing that up for me too) by staying factory.

I am going to ask that they simply switch the wheels on the two cars so I won't have an extra set unfortunately. :sad: I'll let you know what they say. I appreciate the replies everyone. :)

My only concern is.......do I give up my 2001 Lexus ES 300 for this car? (I know were not comparing apples to apples here) I am so hooked on the AWD I can't even begin to explain it......what I really want is a 2006 OB H6 VDC......but not in a position financially right now......the Forester I can do & they should be giving me a chunk of change back to boot! Any thoughts?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
If you don't really care about the luxury aspects, I think the forester is a great choice.

If you'd rather have something a little more upmarket, the 2005 or 2006 outback or outback XT is a sound choice as well. I assume you want the ground clearance, otherwise i'd suggest you look at a legacy too...

The 3.0/VDC combo is great, but since you're obviously willing to go without VDC, and don't mind the power level of the N/A engine... why not go for the far nicer (IMO) interior of the latest redition of the legacy? Or have you considered an outback with the H6, but without VDC?

Also - at least here... a used outback 3.0R sedan can be had with relatively low miles for about $22,000... how much are you spending on this forester??

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
blitzoid said:
If you don't really care about the luxury aspects, I think the forester is a great choice.

If you'd rather have something a little more upmarket, the 2005 or 2006 outback or outback XT is a sound choice as well. I assume you want the ground clearance, otherwise i'd suggest you look at a legacy too...

The 3.0/VDC combo is great, but since you're obviously willing to go without VDC, and don't mind the power level of the N/A engine... why not go for the far nicer (IMO) interior of the latest redition of the legacy? Or have you considered an outback with the H6, but without VDC?

Also - at least here... a used outback 3.0R sedan can be had with relatively low miles for about $22,000... how much are you spending on this forester??
I've considered all the above.......I'm trying to avoid getting into a situation where we have 2 car payments again (Lexus is paid for) so this would be a transaction where the offer would be my Lexus & the dealership would cut me a check.....my guess is $2,500 or there abouts.
I will know more this weekend when I have a closer look at the Forester & see if I really want to do this. :think:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts