Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- I’m new to this forum.
Purchased a 98 forester S with bad EJ25 DOHC motor (spun rod bearing). It would start/run, but ofcoarse with much noise so I decided to replace engine block with identical found in junk yard- same year, L version. Re-sealed engine with new gaskets, double checked timing, replaced plugs, wires. With the exception of the engine block from the junk yard, I used everything off the original engine that I knew started/ran. After swap NO START. Double checked timing, cleaned MAF, checked fuel lines, ground wires, fuses, re-connected engine wire harness snuggly. It is getting fuel.
It cranks and cranks, but no start. Will check codes, but in the meantime.. any brilliant ideas/leads?

·
Registered
1999 Forester
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
...ok, I checked for spark- which is good. Checked timing belt if it skipped: it's dead on. Re-connected all wires, replaced crank position sensor with one I knew worked and cam position sensor. I can smell fuel- possibly it's flooding the engine?
Could it be compression?

·
Registered
1998 Legacy Outback Automatic
5 Posts
Im having the exact same problem with my Outback its a 1998 but i bought one of them japan low milage motors i have spark i have fuel but it will not start i have thriple checked all wires and hoses it wont even start if i spray starting fluid inside the intake manifold i am completly baffled Please help

·
Premium Member
2008 Forester X Premium 5MT
8,073 Posts
Use your intake, wiring harness and sensors. Also check the timing belt drive gear and cam gears, they have the triggers for the cam sensor and crank sensor. If they are different then yours originals = no start

·
Registered
5 Posts
Use your intake, wiring harness and sensors. Also check the timing belt drive gear and cam gears, they have the triggers for the cam sensor and crank sensor. If they are different then yours originals = no start
Thanks for the information i did use the original intake due to smog here in California and all the sensors as well I'm not new to the car world but i have never ran into an issue like this one the car has spark and it has fuel but no ignition so I'm going to pull the timing cover off to look at the gears to make sure every thing is kosher and double check timing thanks for the advice i needed it to point me in the right direction

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok so all parts swapped over from original motor and still wont start i have double and triple checked everything i have fuel and spark but still wont start any ideals

·
Registered
5 Posts
Okay so I ended up pulling the motor out of my outback to double check everything and replace the timing belt as well but when I brought all the timing marks to where they belong the piston is half way back in the cylinder and all the valves are closed leading me to think that the crank is not lined up but the marks show it is any ideals where the piston should be in relation to cam timing thanks again guys

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts
With the timing marks lined up(all 3 at the 12 O'clock position), the engine is in what is called a "service position", pistons at about mid travel in the bores. The service position allows you to do jobs like the timing belt or remove the heads with out valve to piston contact.

There has to be some thing that was missed.

·
Registered
2010 Legacy GT LTD 6 spd
974 Posts
Are you absolutely sure you reconnected the fuel lines to the proper pipes on the engine if you cross two of them up it will not allow fuel to the injectors. I know I did this, Jgrote luckily was there to point out the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yes when i disconnected the fuel lines in such a way i could only put them back to gather the right way and they spark plugs have fuel smell on them... how do i get the timing out of the service postion to check proper timing

·
Premium Member
8,073 Posts
^^ I am not following you.

The ignition timing is not adjustable. If the timing belt is installed correctly with all the marks for the cam pulleys and crank at the 12 O'clock position the ignition timing will be correct.

As long as the belt is installed correctly as mentioned above the cam timing will be correct and therefore the ignition timing will be correct.

The ignition timing is controlled by the ECU picking up the signals from the crank sensor(reads off the crank triggers on the timing belt drive gear) and the cam sensor(reads off the triggers on the back of the cam pulley).

If you have used your original(to your vehicle) timing belt drive gear on the crank and drivers side cam pulley, the ignition timing will be right.

Can you post a picture/s of how you have it timed?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts