Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 99 forester S that's wrecked but motor and trans are good, motor w/ partial rebuild and trans w/ recent service performed. I also have an 02 forester L w/ a bad motor. Since the 99 only has 114,000 on it whereas the 02 has 320,000 on it I was wondering if I could completely swap motor and trans out of the 99 and put in the 02? As I look at them side by side I think I'll probably have to take the intake off of the 02 and use it on the 99 motor (as well as the water pump). Am I right so far? I have not been able to look into the trans as of yet and if I change that out I'm thinking of changing the axels and brake systems (Okay basically the driveline). LOL--- Is all of this possible or should I stick w/ just motor? Any thought or expertise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
Intake will be different. I think trans will be close. 99-01 is generally a direct swap. 02 may have different speed sensor. You might be able to swap that part. Axles and all that should be the same.

·
Registered
2002 Forester L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I hope all goes well. My daughters boyfriend had just bought the 99 and they were stopped waiting for a car to turn left on a single lane road and smack a 16 yr old got them in the rearend and pushed him into the Jeep in front of him and really crushed the frontend. The 16 yr old said he was cleaning his windshield because he couldn't see----it's tough enough when you are driving into the sunset, let alone cleaning the windshield too. i'll let ya know if the trans is a go or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts