Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2001 s automatic and would like a slightly more aggressive but still comfortable suspension setup. Which springs and struts would be a direct drop in and stiffen/slightly lower the car? as of right now i have a wrx 20mm rear sway and a fstb. i would like the easiest to swap from stock setup. thanks

·
I Heart Beer
2000 Forester L
714 Posts
how much do you wanna drop the car, if you go with wrx wagon springs and struts (takeoffs) then you'll only be dropping like 2 inches i think, but you can also go with impreza stuff that will drop you a bit more. and then there are some aftermarket springs that quite a few have on here, i believe tien h-techs are popular but somewhat hard to acquire if i remember correctly

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts
You wanna drop some coin there are some real nice options for our rides. You want inexpensive, and great for what you are looking for. Do a set of JDM STi springs with your struts. It make a well balanced and great performing set up. For a bit more cash you could do the STi springs and struts. For even more money you can get a nice set of coilovers. Just remember when you start doing this stuff you seriously want to consider a new RSB, beefier endlinks, tophats, and other bits. It's a vicious cycle and a bit overwhelming at first. However spending some time reading through the archives will help you out substancially...

·
Registered
434 Posts
The Wraith said:
You wanna drop some coin there are some real nice options for our rides. You want inexpensive, and great for what you are looking for. Do a set of JDM STi springs with your struts. It make a well balanced and great performing set up. For a bit more cash you could do the STi springs and struts.
I have never seen these for the SF model Forester. Where do you find them?

·
Mr. April 2008, Image Master
2005 X
1,325 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
MY00Forest said:
don't think you can, but the sg suspension can be adapted to fit i think
didn't tre do it
here she be, part of it at least
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?t=1344
and another
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?t=1607
Bolts right in!

sschmelcke, for what you are asking I think SG JDM Forester STi springs used with SG struts or WRX Wagon takeoffs will be a good setup IMHO. Either will swap right in. You just need to be creative with brake line brackets and mounts. I installed my takeoffs with SG JDM F-STi springs onto Scooby2's 1998 Forester and he digs it.

Either setup has it pros and cons.

SG JDM Forester STi springs with stock SG struts
Pro:
Good for daily driver, moddest ride height drop, and improvement in handling over stock, comfortable ride
Con: Still enough body roll to scare ya

WRX Wagon Takeoffs 02-03 or 04-05
Pro:
Good for daily driver, less body roll than setup mentioned above due to reduction in strut travel and lower center of gravity, 05 have inverted struts (big plus!)
Con: Can cause severe rear end sag under load due to lower spring rates, a tad less comfortable than setup mentioned above

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring CVT
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so it sounds like jdm springs it is....any good places to buy them? do i need to use the sg struts or can i go with a nice set of kyb's for an sf

·
Asphalt Surfers Unlimited
2004 Forester XT
742 Posts
Tein also makes springs that fit the SF... and KYB makes a stock replacement GR2 strut that would pair nicely.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
sschmelcke said:
so it sounds like jdm springs it is....any good places to buy them? do i need to use the sg struts or can i go with a nice set of kyb's for an sf
https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69&products_id=637

Contact Subiegal if you have questions. She is the Internet Sales Manager there and that quite frankly is the best price for new on planet earth right now unless you can find the JDM F-STi springs used. I recommend using the Forester GR2 struts for 2003+ model. You may also have to source strut mounts because the rear F-STi springs will not work with your 2001 rear strut mounts. Or you can source for used 2003+ suspension takeoffs on here and use the struts and strut mounts. Just bribe a member to upgrade to coilovers or something. :)

I believe jbleee has a set sitting in his garage. ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts