Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
08 Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been wanting to lower my fxt, but im not sure which route to go..swift springs or coilovers...any siggestions?

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
what are your plans w/ the car and how low do you want to go? coilovers will give you adjustability but be a waste on a DD and most likely be too stiff for the street. a good strut spring combo is what id recommend.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
I'd recommmend either Swifts, or WRX/STi struts/springs if you're looking for a decent drop while retaining daily-driveablility.

Swifts will be 1-1½" lower, and WRX/STi suspension will be about 2-3½" lower (depending on springs)

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
With springs, it all depends on the dampers you want to use, pick a strut and build around that. With coilovers there are some choices, you'd want to do your homework regarding springs rates and damper quality.

Stan

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT
109 Posts
suggestion

FourorTwo has a good point and it also depends on what part of Jersey your in. If you do any traveling into NYC, the pothole capital of america, I suggest swift springs (cheaper option). If you plan on participating in some form of motorsports I would go coilovers or a good strut spring combo. 08 sti front lip height awareness is key, the forester has a long nose that gets easier to scrape the lower you go.

·
Registered
08 Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i still want a nice DD..im just looking to lessen the body roll..as of right now coilovers are out of my budget..anyone know where i can get my hands on wrx struts?

thn for the advice guys

·
Registered
08 Forester XT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sofa i learned my lesson with the front lip already..the snow storm robbed my lip :X

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
instead of finding used impreza struts, id buy brand new impreza kyb gr2s for a little more money. you can find these anywhere from vendors to ebay.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S 5MT
820 Posts
Swift springs + KYB GR-2 struts + 20mm RSB + good tires = as sporty as city streets will allow.

·
Registered
2007 Forester Sport XT 5MT
737 Posts
I'm running the STi pinks with the stock struts (dealer installed them on the car before purchase). They do a decent job of getting some of the air out of the wheelwells - about the same as the Swifts I'm told. I do like the linear rate springs as to the Swift's rear variable rate. I'm also running a big RSB (Perrin) and rear subframe lockout bolts that really improve the response (Whiteline).
I'm pretty happy with the ride height as I hate to feel contained. I don't slow for dips, potholes, or speedbumps - I can climb medians and park all the way up on parking stops and chin over most curbs.
I like the look of a lower setup and suspect a lower center would help cornering - but if you are braking early to power out hard, it's not as big a deal, and the higher center of gravity tends to give me a more progressive feel as the back end rotates out.
While I have replacement wheels, and the tires are 225/55R17 - the diameter measures exactly the same as the stockers.

El Sid

1 - 10 of 10 Posts