Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Auto
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got wrx wagon take offs with sti front springs. I was talk to my buddy thats a take at the dealer and he said there was alot of stuff I need to look into. Like taller ball joints, roll center kit, end links, removing the spacers. Also I have noticed whenever I have my wheels turned all the way to one side like when I back out of my draiveway. The steering wheels shakes and it rough and goes away as I get the tires straight. Any ideas what this could be. Also I plan on getting 04 sti struts and some sort of lowering spring to go just a bit lower.

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5i 6spd
593 Posts
Your friend is wrong.
You will not need taller ball joints, or a roll center kit, or no spacers to remove.
I would NOT put WRX springs over FXT struts though. Your struts would not last long at all.
You should replace the springs and the struts at the same time. And get like 3/8 saggy butt spacers to help even it out.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,436 Posts
A roll center kit sure helps with handling when you're that low.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT Auto
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did u not read man... I have full wrx wagon take offs. I just put sti front springs on the wrx struts.

QUOTE=Project Draven;2400426]Your friend is wrong.
You will not need taller ball joints, or a roll center kit, or no spacers to remove.
I would NOT put WRX springs over FXT struts though. Your struts would not last long at all.
You should replace the springs and the struts at the same time. And get like 3/8 saggy butt spacers to help even it out.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,752 Posts
Your friend is wrong. You will not need taller ball joints, or a roll center kit, or no spacers to remove. I would NOT put WRX springs over FXT struts though. Your struts would not last long at all. You should replace the springs and the struts at the same time. And get like 3/8 saggy butt spacers to help even it out.
+1 on everything in this post. Match your struts to your springs - FXT struts to FXT springs, WRX wagon struts to WRX wagon springs. If you don't do this, the struts will have a short life and will not properly dampen the springs. The springs set the vehicle height and how it handles - the struts make the springs behave properly.

The 3/8" (or 1/2" + longer studs) saggy butt spacers are primarily for visual effect. The wheel-well clearance on SUVs (including the Forester) is substantial - part of the SUV 'thing'. When you lower the Forester, the clearance in the rear appears to be less than the front, giving the vehicle the odd appearance of sloping to the rear, as if you were carrying a load of bricks - not attractive. Saggy butt spacers correct this optics issue.

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5i 6spd
593 Posts
I must of been pretty tired. (i was not drinking last night, I swear!!)
I mistook what you typed as that you only had front wrx wagon struts with sti springs and rear FXT struts with WRX wagon springs. My bad!
I personally have never lowered my car with front STI springs and wrx wagon rears.
I have been lowered on WRX sedan suspension before and I think the car handled well and actually felt pretty good on the road.

·
Registered
2012 XT Touring 4EAT
3,752 Posts
I must of been pretty tired. (i was not drinking last night, I swear!!)
Sir, they all say that. Now, could you extend both hands? Now, bring your right hand around and touch your nose. No, sir, that's your ear.

I mistook what you typed as that you only had front wrx wagon struts with sti springs and rear FXT struts with WRX wagon springs. My bad! I personally have never lowered my car with front STI springs and wrx wagon rears.
Sir, could you walk down this street marking, one foot in front of the other.

I have been lowered on WRX sedan suspension before and I think the car handled well and actually felt pretty good on the road.
+1. I have WRX wagon springs and struts and Project Draven is exactly right - the car handles well and feels good on the road. The WRX suspension takes the harsh edge off of the Forester's original suspension. Basically, it turns a stiff SUV into a not-as-stiff wagon. It's probably not useful if you plan to go off-roading. But, it handles the highways and by-ways just fine.

·
Registered
2006 XT Limited 4EAT
4,793 Posts
But I dont want the car to steering and handle to poopty
Then I would recommend you run a matching set of front and rear springs with struts with proper dampening. The front-rear spring rate balance is jacked up running STi springs in the front and WRX springs in the rear.

·
Registered
05MY Second SG6 4EAT > JDM 5MT
5,684 Posts
if he's wanting lower, all the stock options are out. aftermarket will be the only way to go. match some struts & springs combo or go coilovers.

(AutoGuide App, ugh!)

·
Registered
2006 XT Limited 4EAT
4,793 Posts
if he's wanting lower, all the stock options are out. aftermarket will be the only way to go. match some struts & springs combo or go coilovers.
What's wrong with the WRX or STi setups for lowering? All I'm saying is he needs to match his setup. WRX struts with WRX springs or STI struts with STi springs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts