Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering what type of suspension mods are available in the us

i have a 00 forester and was looking to gain more ground clearance
did a search on the forum and saw a couple of links, subaextreme and renick?
i noticed that subaextreme is in austrailia.... does anyone have experience ordering their product from the us? i'm located in california, so also wondering if lifting the car would violate any state regulations??
the renick kit, at 800 dollars, seems a bit expensive....

never thought about lowering the forester until this page.... seems like lowering the car takes the off road capabilities out of the picture.... but i guess people can autocross their forester when it's lowered??

thanks for all the help

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
From what I head, from member name = Dicknose SubaXtreme will/ is going out of business, not sure if they have any leftover stock

Primitive I'm pretty sure makes a lift kit also

You would probally be well off starting by getting some underbody protection/skid/sump guards

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

where would i go about getting the undercarriage protection?
is there a website for primitive??

i see you're from wisconsin? what part of wisconsin?

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Subaxtreme lift kits are gone!

Best bet if you are interested in going offroad is to pop your head over to
www.offroadsubarus.com
You have to register, but its got a good bunch of knowledgable people. Its mostly Foresters and mostly aussies, but a few of your fellow Americans hang out there. Have a look around, there should be enough stuff to get you started.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
foresterfan said:
where would i go about getting the undercarriage protection?
is there a website for primitive??

i see you're from wisconsin? what part of wisconsin?
West-Central

here are some goodies

http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skid.htm

you could probally also contact Roo on the board about inquires about purchasing some

You can buy the subaru rear-diff protector from www.subarugenuineparts.com for around 52 bucks

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

i also read on this board that upping the tire size one would some ground clearance.... wondering if anyone did it and if it changed the handling characteristics.... would be no good if i clear the rocks but can't maneuver the truck in the wind....

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm out in california now, but spent 3 years in madison,
west central wisconsin... that's like lacrosse, eau claire area??

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
foresterfan said:
i'm out in california now, but spent 3 years in madison,
west central wisconsin... that's like lacrosse, eau claire area??
Right on :-o

I always find myself going back and fourth deciding on lowering/raising the foz.. but I've narrowed it down to

Stock

Or

Small lower (1.5-2.5 inches)

I've taken my car down on some trails, over small fallen down trees.. rocks.. etc. I find that I woudln't feel comfortable driving on the street with a lift kit

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm... the lack of lift kits in the states either mean the forester is high off enough for most situations, or that the sump guards protect really well...

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
Or

Very small demand.. which is my guess

98% of the foresters I see are driven by "older" women..

I made one mad the other day when I floored it at a red light (other foz was in the lane next to me)

Next red light = Unbelieveable glare.. the type that says "I'd k1ll you if I could"

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
I dont think the lift kits will make the car that much more unstable for general driving.
I run slightly oversized tyres (1/2 inch) and it handles better on them than the geos since they are better rubber! And I do push my XT fairly hard on the road (my geos lasted about 20,000km - 14k miles)
I dont know about fitting massively oversized - its illegal here. Heck my 1/2 inch over are illegal!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, the reason why i'm 'all of a sudden' into getting ground clearance is because i ran over a rock with my audi urs4 the other day and it tore up the undercarriage..... and out here in the boonies of california, i can expect to see more rocks (size of a junior football) so just want to make sure that my forester will be able to handle it....

maybe i'll try lowering the car slightly but put on slightly larger tires?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
I think a skidplate is your best bet to protect the underbody. Primitive does not offer a lift kit, but from personal experience I can say that their skidplate and rear diff protector kick butt. My FXT is even lowered by an inch or so, and that hasn't kept us off some of the gnarlier roads here in NorCal. We ran the Magellan Adventure Rally in the NV/AZ desert last December (think 50-80 mph on rocky washboard/gravel) and even traversed the King Mountain Range in Humboldt County on a 4WD trail. Unless you're doing some serious bouldering, you can get away without the use of a lift kit, IMHO.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, i live out near the construction laden deserts.... which mean in addition to the unpaved roads, i have to worry about road builders leaving rocks in the middle of the street... blech...

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
You can get a Scorpion or Hi-lift body lift (both from Australia), but it won't give you an more clearance for your engine, transmission, headers, catalytic converters.

AlliedArmament.com is working on a lift, but even though it is on their web site, it isn't available yet.

And if I didn't already have a SubaXtreme sumpguard, I'd make one out of Stainless Steel that would be the same in concept as this one:
http://alliedarmament.homestead.com/SkidPlate.html

I'm investigating the use of Outback struts, to determine if they will fit and provide more tire clearance and perhaps some lift:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/forums/showthread.php?t=2723

·
Registered
2003 Forester XS Manual
194 Posts
Bummer about SubaXtreme going down the flusher...I like the idea of a very mild lift like their 40mm (1.5").

·
Administrator
15,376 Posts
Yes, not good. I'm glad mine was fully equipped with SubaXtreme gear before this happened. (lift, front & rear bars, sump guard). Maybe it will become a collectors item :-D

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yep.... i like the idea of a mild lift as well...
4" seems a bit extreme for me...

for some reason i keep thinking that besides the diff guard, there were other subaru protection option accessories available.... or maybe i was just thinking about the front bumper guard? (like the nudge bar?)

please correct me if i'm wrong...

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
foresterfan said:
yep.... i like the idea of a mild lift as well...
4" seems a bit extreme for me...

for some reason i keep thinking that besides the diff guard, there were other subaru protection option accessories available.... or maybe i was just thinking about the front bumper guard? (like the nudge bar?)

please correct me if i'm wrong...
The only subaru "off road" protection that I know of is the diff guard..

They sell a "brush guard" which is pretty much (and is) only cosmetic plastic

Edit: Now I remember going to our local subaru dealership and asking them about an undercarage skid guard, and all I recieved were funny looks and a blunt "nope"

1 - 20 of 23 Posts