Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have Supertones, took apart the front end and everything has a solid connection. Replaced the relay, didn't fix, the fuse is good too. Tomorrow I plan to hook up a voltmeter and have someone press the steering wheel to see if there is power to the horn (I was alone when I took it apart the first time), but has anyone else had this problem and can give me another idea? I hope it isn't the switch or wiring in the steering wheel.

After I posted this I did some more brainstorming and jumped the battery to the horn and it sounded. Then I thought that the relay I bought may have been bad so I was gonna switch it with another with the same part number and when I was wiggling it out, the horn started sounding. I was doing this at midnight so decided to give up until this morning. This morning it worked. 30 min later out and about, it didn't work. I think it is a loose wire in the fuse box, but still, welcome any other thoughts.

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring CVT
20 Posts
Definitely sounds like a bad connection somewhere. It could be a bad connection in the wiring harness near the relay that got jostled when you were removing the relay.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
took it to the dealer yesterday and paid $70 for them to tell me that the supertones overload the stock relay.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Premium
37 Posts
took it to the dealer yesterday and paid $70 for them to tell me that the supertones overload the stock relay.
I was under the assumption you had already used the included Hella relay (though you can use any Bosch style relay). The horn should work on stock wiring but it may be intermittent and you will definitely blow the fuse if you hold it down for X amount of seconds. I would check your ground from the Hella horns with stock wiring first, you should hear it working.

My recommendation, however, would be to either make your own or buy a wiring harness (Grimspeed, Subimods, etc.) and wire the horns to the relay using the stock wiring to trigger the relay.

Take a look at this thread:

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f85/hella-horn-install-relay-fuse-559649/

·
Registered
2019 Touring
226 Posts
My motorcycle, like many came, with a weak horn that was very simular to the horn in my new Forester. When I replaced the motorcycle's horn, I wired it directly to my battery with it's own relay and used the wire from the horn to trigger the relay. I plan to do the same when I replace my Forester's horn.

Using the Forester's wiring and relay might work, but will be intermittent if the replacement horn(s) draws more voltage than the Forester is designed to use.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ugh! Not Solved!

I don't get it. When I start the car in the morning the horn works fine. After I start driving it doesn't work. I am thinking my next step is to remove and bypass the stock relay. I have already put so much time and money into troubleshooting this. Any thoughts?

For a few weeks, I disconnected the Hella horns and plugged in the stock horn in front of the tire and the result was the same.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
226 Posts
I thought you replaced the original relay that came with your car.

I would make sure that you are using a good relay, wired directly to the battery and check your ground. The only original wire should be the one to trigger the relay and that goes to your horn.

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@danornan I did this yesterday and replaced all wires and cleaned existing connections. I just got back and think I have it figured out. Horn works when I turn the steering wheel 1 full rotation left. Doesn't work when I am straight or turned right. It is wiring somewhere in the steering column.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,821 Posts
I did this yesterday and replaced all wires and cleaned existing connections. I just got back and think I have it figured out. Horn works when I turn the steering wheel 1 full rotation left. Doesn't work when I am straight or turned right. It is wiring somewhere in the steering column.
Sounds like the steering wheel "roll connector" (clock spring) could be faulty? Still... unusual for such a new vehicle... :confused:

I'm going to change the "SOLVED!" to "Updated!" on your thread title. Note that member's can't edit the thread title, once the thread is published... goes live. :wink:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2015 Forester CVT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Boom - just got back from a local shop- It's the clock spring. He couldn't get a price cause the supplier he uses is closed on Sunday, but he said he has replaced 12 in the last 6 months and they are anywhere from $100-600, plus 1-hour labor. Thankfully I have an extended warranty that will cover that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts