Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 Forester Limited spent the night in the garage, with the driver's window down and the sunroof open. In the morning I headed off to work. As I entered the freeway, I closed the window (no problem) and tried to close the sunroof -- nothing. Multiple tries on the switch over a period of ten minutes or so, both to open and to close, produced no response at all. Ugh.

I parked at work and shut down. A few minutes later I came back to the car to check the fuses, the only remedy I could think of that didn't involve a trip to the dealer. Just for kicks I started the car and gave the sunroof another try, and it closed right up. A good result, but now I'm left worried about the next time it decides not to work. So......

1) Does anyone have any insight to what may have happened here?

2) The sunroof on my old '06 Forester had a hand-crank backup for just such an occasion (which I never had to use in 13 years), but that appears to have been ditched by the time we get to the 2019 models. Does anyone know differently? What the bleep does a person do when this happens?

3) Advice that I intend to honor from here on: Don't park with the sunroof open, even if it is otherwise safe to do so.

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
21 Posts
@melben3 There is apparently a spot for a 4mm hex to be inserted to manually move the sunroof. You have to remove the map light assembly and eyesight sensors to get to it though. And if you use the manual function you have to reset the positions on the sunroof.... but really if you get to that point you probably have bigger issues.

As for why it would not move... I can't help there. Could be the switch, a relay, or the open/closed position switch... or just a fluke.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts