Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4eat
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, my sunroof decided to break today, the motor and everything is shot and im looking at around 500 for the whole new setup. it wasn't OEM, the original owners put one in aftermarket, so it was leaking inside anyway. so, i was wondering if anyone has heard of any delete kits to cover up an existing sunroof hole with carbon fiber or something, instead of having to weld in some new metal and painting and everything. it would just end up being more expensive.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
You, my friend, are up a creek. Your best bet is to contact the mfg of the sunroof and buy another, or find one with a larger footprint than the one you have. Good luck.

·
Registered
2008 LL Bean (4EAT)
4,784 Posts
... my sunroof decided to break today, the motor and everything is shot and im looking at around 500 for the whole new setup. it wasn't OEM, the original owners put one in aftermarket, so it was leaking inside anyway. so, i was wondering if anyone has heard of any delete kits to cover up an existing sunroof hole with carbon fiber or something, instead of having to weld in some new metal and painting and everything. it would just end up being more expensive.
So the aftermarket moonroof in your 2004 XT lasted 6 years and can be repaired or replaced for $500. You are fortunate that you don't have the OEM moonroof which often lasts fewer years and costs twice as much to repair.

As for the leaking, if your motorized sliding moonroof is like the Webasto units in our Buick and Scion, or the OEM moonroof in our Forester, it has a perimeter gutter leading to drains in each corner, which may have become clogged with dirt or debris, or even become disconnected.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4eat
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if i had the OEM roof id be better off, the tech in the bay next to me replaced one yesterday :icon_mad: so id have anything i need to switch it over. including a new headliner if i wanted. but for now, i took down my headliner and sorted things out between the broken brackets in the rails of the roof and got it to just shut and seal. i dont have the extra money right now for it, but eventually ill get it moving again :lol: thanks for the input though guys!

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
That plug looks cool. My moonroof is cracked badly so I may be looking for something like this in the future.

Stan

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4eat
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not 100% but id say glass, rails, motor and everything would probably be around 40lbs? maybe 50 but i could be completely wrong. also take into mind extra wiring for it.. im pretty bad with weight judging though so who knows ahaha.

and thanks for the link gdawrx. ill definitely look to them if i ever decide to fully delete mine, since i got it sitting flush at least now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts