Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
06 XT
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tinted plastic thingy that goes in front of the sun roof. Are these worth getting? I imagine it help make it quieter when driving with the sunroof open.

- Peter

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
First, I love your technical terminology.
That's how my wife explains things than need to be fixed.
Therefore, I know exactly what you're talking about.

The sunroof deflector does help push the air up & over, reducing turbulance slightly (when sunroof is open).
It also helps keep the relentless Florida sun off my eyes if I want to keep it cracked open a bit.
Some folks don't like the way it looks, but the functionality overrides that IMHO.

·
Registered
06 XT
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew what it was called but for some reason the words wouldn't come to me this morning :)

Does it make any extra noise at speed?

·
scarred from battle
730 Posts
I had one on my VW, and it was a really nice addition. I'll second all of Boca Yid's comments.

It should not add to road noise when the sunroof is closed, and it will keep everything much much quieter with the roof open when you are at speed. I could drive with the roof fully open at 70mph without any problems.

Granted, the VW's aerodynamic profile is a little different from the forester, and it didn't have the monster moonroof, but I imagine it'll be about the same.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,204 Posts
I like mine for the same reasons. Look for these on eBay.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
No additional noise.
At least none that I can hear over the whistling made by the roof rack!

·
Registered
2006 Forester 2.5X
63 Posts
We have one on our Honda Accord. Makes a big difference in the wind and noise. Bonus... The wife's hair does not get all messed up.

20 years ago when cruising down the freeway in my 78 Celica, I crossed paths with a swarm of bees migrating across the freeway. A ton of them got sucked in through the sunroof. Even with the little pop-up air dam, they still got sucked in. I wish I had the big deflector then! Needless to say, it took me a half an hour to get all those guys out of the back of the car. The state patrol trooper who stopped also had quite the laugh.:p

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
polaris said:
We have one on our Honda Accord. Makes a big difference in the wind and noise. Bonus... The wife's hair does not get all messed up.

20 years ago when cruising down the freeway in my 78 Celica, I crossed paths with a swarm of bees migrating across the freeway. A ton of them got sucked in through the sunroof. Even with the little pop-up air dam, they still got sucked in. I wish I had the big deflector then! Needless to say, it took me a half an hour to get all those guys out of the back of the car. The state patrol trooper who stopped also had quite the laugh.:p
That is funny!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just added the moonroof air deflector and took off the roof rack cross bars. Enormous difference! Can now hear music, books on tape, etc., on the highway with the moonroof open...

·
Registered
2007 Outback 4AT
106 Posts
jsr said:
Just added the moonroof air deflector and took off the roof rack cross bars. Enormous difference! Can now hear music, books on tape, etc., on the highway with the moonroof open...
The last time we test-drove a Forester with a moonroof, we found it as, if not more, noisy at highway speeds than opening the windows. This was a real turn off and we decided that the moonroof would not be one of our priorities. But this report is more good news. (We would be particularly interested in being able to open the roof just a couple of inches for top ventilation, without the sun shining in, as Boca Yid noted.)

jsr: Was this the Forester/Subaru OEM deflector, or an aftermarket unit? Also, what model/year Forester do you have?

Others: If you live in snow-country and have the deflector, in winter does it tend to collect snow or ice in the space between the deflector and the moonroof where it appears it might be difficult to get out? (I'm thinking especially that snow caught underneath might melt due to cabin heat, or sun and end up as ice in that area.)

·
Premium Member
2007 Sport XT
1,130 Posts
Put the Subaru one on my wife's FXT a week ago. It's as ugly as sin, does nothing to prevent the buffeting when the sunroof is fully open, and doesn't seem to reduce drafts or noise significantly with the sunroof partly open.

With respect to noise, the wife's FXT doesn't have the cross bars on the roof, so there's no noise from them to take into consideration.

We have three votes (out of four) to remove it, and one wavering. The wife asked if any holes had to be drilled to put it on, so is clearly thinking along the lines of it disappearing again. We'll give it a try in the rain (if it ever gets around to raining here again) and see if it allows the roof to be open a bit, but currently it is looking like $80 of Subaru bucks down the pan. At least it wasn't real money!

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
Well, yes & no.
No, it doesn't do anything for wind noise or rain use (since the sunroof goes down & back, you would end up with water pouring in from the roof liner).
Yes, it allows you to keep the sunroof open a bit on those brutally sunny days.
Ugly? I'm not sure. Certainly not pretty, but it grows on you.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,204 Posts
Ugly is a personal point of view. From my viewpoint, I don't find it at all offensive. It's useful during inclement weather, allowing the roof to be open just a little bit for ventilation without rain or snow getting inside. Remember snow, Subajew?

Buffeting is an unfortunate consequence of the physics of the situation--volume of the car, size of the opening, speed, stuff like that. Sometimes a minor alteration to the physics such as opening a window can make it go away.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
With a full Yakima rack, my scoop definitely diverts the wind over the top. When we had our roof open on the freeway, I felt like my eardrums were going to implode. I think they make a Forester specific, due to our large opening, but well worth it. One of the few things I actually bought at the dealership...easy install as well.

·
Premium Member
2007 Sport XT
1,130 Posts
Well, yes & no.
No, it doesn't do anything for wind noise or rain use (since the sunroof goes down & back, you would end up with water pouring in from the roof liner).
Yes, it allows you to keep the sunroof open a bit on those brutally sunny days.
Ugly? I'm not sure. Certainly not pretty, but it grows on you.
Well, I wouldn't want it open in heavy rain any more than I'd want the windows open (some people drive around with the windows open in heavy rain though, and I'm sure that can't be particularly good for the area behind the windows!)

In light rain, or mist, or when the "rain" is more spray coming up from other cars, then having the roof open a bit helps keep the windows clear, especially if the sun's breaking through. It has rained the last couple of days here, and the deflector does seem to be of some benefit. Raindrops on the glass roof don't move around much in light rain - certainly not streaming back down the hole at the rear of the roof - and when you're stopped in traffic, the deflector does prevent rain coming in.

As for the appearance, when the Forester has roof bars, then they do tend to balance it out a bit. However the Sport models in the US do not have the roof bars, and the Forester's extremely tall deflector just protrudes at the front like a giant wart.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts