Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Automatic
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a set of sti Type-C 17x7 wheels for my dedicated summer wheels and am now looking for tires. I have historically run Conti Extreme Contacts for my all season tires, and will likely be putting DWS onto my stockers for winter as I don't really get snow locally. As I have never had dedicated summer tires before, I am somewhat at a loss for what tires to get, or even where to start looking... I have gone through Tirerack pretty extensively, but am still pretty spun on good summer tires.

any suggestions? I realize I am looking at 400$-600$ for tires.

Thanks!
-mark

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,458 Posts
I'm in the Bay Area as well and I've been running BF Goodrich G-Force Sport summer tires year-round for several years now. Very capable, excellent treadwear characteristics, and affordable.

Tirerack linky

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
386 Posts
Man, tires are always so subjective. Sounds like you're Conti through and through. Why not just go with the SportContacts?

I'm a Michelin/Goodyear man myself, resolved to get super tread-life and an M+S tire. Keep life simple-- since I'm only doing lite off-roading and hitting the Sierra in the winter.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Considering your budget, I'd look at Kumho SPTs. Very good tire for the price, $104 each in 225/45/17.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Game for an install session. I've got WRX take-off's, sti rear sway, sti rack, and a bunch of other stuff to install. I also need to go back to semi-stock for my smog and registration, then it's back to the 3" exhaust.

I'm not necessarily conti only, I've just had good results with them. Just looking for a good grippy 17x225/45 for my summer tires.

·
Administrator
29,458 Posts
I'd be interested in this too.
Yes, please come on out... we need an SH Forester urgently to test-fit some license plate brackets! There might be a free bracket in it for you if you're interested. :wink:

I'll post in the Pacific forum and see if we can get a gathering going soon.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Follow up on this topic. It looks like I will be getting the Continental Extreme Contact DW tires. I went and measured my wheels, and they are actually 17x7.5 That would put me onto a 235/45x17, correct?

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
How many miles have you been getting out of them? How's the road noise on the highway?

I'm in the Bay Area as well and I've been running BF Goodrich G-Force Sport summer tires year-round for several years now. Very capable, excellent treadwear characteristics, and affordable.

Tirerack linky

·
Administrator
29,458 Posts
How many miles have you been getting out of them? How's the road noise on the highway?
I have 40k miles on my current set - that's the highest mileage I've ever gotten out of a set of tires on this car. They're getting low on tread now, but still are far from bald. Noise is not bad at all, at least from what I can tell (I don't really "get" the notion of tire noise - the Foz is not exactly a quiet vehicle, and if there is any noise, it's probably drowned out by the exhaust and my bad rear wheel bearings).

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
40K is pretty damn good for summer tires. I do get the tire noise, it only would be an issue on long highway slogs for me. The forester makes tons of noise and I like to reduce it whenever possible!

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
Follow up on this topic. It looks like I will be getting the Continental Extreme Contact DW tires. I went and measured my wheels, and they are actually 17x7.5 That would put me onto a 235/45x17, correct?
Just a note, I believe the DW is pretty much the same as the old contisport 1's. Imo not as good of a summer tire as the DWS is an all season.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts