Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
09 Forester
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 Forester with the stock wheels/tires.

Looking for some good year round tires, which are definitely able to handle some snow / mud. So a bit aggressive I guess.

Dad was recommending the Firestone Destination A/T's, but I'm not sure if the available sizes will fit the wheels well.

I'm fairly uninformed when it comes to tires, so excuse any newbie mistakes.

Best,
Robert

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

For truly all-weather I would go with Nokian WR's. One if not the only one rated "all weather". It will be able to handle mud and snow easily. I had them on my Outback.

They are not the cheap choice just the best.

·
Registered
2014 FXT CVT
370 Posts
I would steer you towards two set of tires for summer and winter but if you must have all seasons then yes Nokian WRG2's are the best. They are expensive but you really do get what you pay for with tires.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Wow, I just looked up the Nokian WR G2 tires. They're even classified as Low Rolling Resistance. Something very rare in a truck/SUV rated tire, which the WR G2 is. Low Rolling Resistance helps fuel economy slightly. This to me is a huge plus for this tire, because while you can get some truck/SUV rated tires that are good in snow or off-road they sometimes have a high rolling resistance as compared to allseason tires. The Nokian is the first Severe Snow Service rated tire that is also an all-season (or 4 season as they call it) and is considered Low Rolling Resistance.

How is treadwear/life on these tires? I may have to put a set on my '09! They appear to kick some major butt, but I wonder about tread longevity.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,830 Posts
Here's one place.

Nokian WR G2 SUV Tires at Discount Prices - Free Shipping!

I just googled using search term "Buy Nokian Tires" and this was one of the hits. Oddly, Tirerack does not carry them, nor does forum vendor Discount Tire Direct.

If you're on a budget, check out Firestone/Bridgestone WinterForce tires. They cost about half what the Nokians cost. They are Severe Snow Service rated as well as carrying some sort of Mud rating, too. But I've heard they are loud on the road/asphalt @ highway speeds due to the meaty tread.

·
Premium Member
2015 Highlander AWD XLE 6AT
4,259 Posts
Check the Nokian dealer locator tool: Dealer locator

215/65-16 for the 16" wheel on the base model

225/55-17 for the 17" wheel on the Premium and XT
Might be worth double-checking what's really available from Nokian. I did not find either of these sizes on their website listings for the WR, and I did not find the 215/65R16 for the WRG2.

:confused:

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,786 Posts
Check the Nokian dealer locator tool: Dealer locator

Might be worth double-checking what's really available from Nokian. I did not find either of these sizes on their website listings for the WR, and I did not find the 215/65R16 for the WRG2.

:confused:

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
The sizes are there for the WR and WRG2 "SUV" tires. You're looking at the car tire sizes.

These tires look intriguing, but are quite expensive, and with my luck, I would destroy a tire when it was partially worn and have to buy a new set...

George

·
Registered
2009 forester touring AT
49 Posts
09 Forester with the stock wheels/tires.

Looking for some good year round tires, which are definitely able to handle some snow / mud. So a bit aggressive I guess.

Dad was recommending the Firestone Destination A/T's, but I'm not sure if the available sizes will fit the wheels well.

I'm fairly uninformed when it comes to tires, so excuse any newbie mistakes.

Best,
Robert
A/T stand for "All terrain" but this does not include black ice or hard pack snow. A/T tires are usually cheaper because thy do not have low temperature rubber compound has the Nokian WR have.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts