Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Come Spring, I will need a new Summer tire. I have dedicated winters so M+S is not needed.

I will be keeping the stock wheels so 16" is it.

I would like to keep with the 215/60/R16, but am up for reasons for a change.

Wet and dry traction are important. Light off road (aka the road to the cottage is gravel and dirt) and some spirited driving required.

thanks again.

Steve
 
J

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Check out the tire in the link below and navigate the pages on the tire to view the price, warranty, etc., ranking of the tire compared to similar tires, and reviews of the tire. I've done quite a bit of research on tires and I'm going to use this tire to replace the stock GEO's on my wife's 03 Forester this spring when the snow tires come off. The price is great and it has a 70,000 mi. warranty and excellent traction rating and traction reviews.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Touring+A/S+795
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
tire rack rated the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS pretty high. It might be rated #1. I bought those last fall and have not been disappointed one bit. They are strictly summer and used them twice for autoxing. what a change the car feels.
 

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
Joined
·
7,251 Posts
Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval 225-60-16
This is one of my favorites.
Call Luke @ The TireRack for details.
$89.00 each
 

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
Joined
·
3,970 Posts
I put a set of the new Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads on my wife's Forester (215 60 16) & my 2001 Lexus ES 300. This is without a doubt the best tire for poor weather traction I have ever owned......it makes the Forester unstoppable in snow & ice to go along with it's fantastic AWD system. They came in first overall in a recent CR test of some 18 premium all season tires....no need for winter rubber with theis one imo & an 80,000 mile warranty to boot! :wink:

Here is some more info:

www.goodyearassurance.com

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+TripleTred (for this, check out the coloured chart & click on reviews, then Subaru to see what fellow owners have to say. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Lexusfreak said:
I put a set of the new Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads on my wife's Forester (215 60 16) & my 2001 Lexus ES 300. This is without a doubt the best tire for poor weather traction I have ever owned......it makes the Forester unstoppable in snow & ice to go along with it's fantastic AWD system. They came in first overall in a recent CR test of some 18 premium all season tires....no need for winter rubber with theis one imo & an 80,000 mile warranty to boot! :wink:

Here is some more info:

www.goodyearassurance.com

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+TripleTred (for this, check out the coloured chart & click on reviews, then Subaru to see what fellow owners have to say. :D

Goodyears tripple come in a H rated 215-60-16?

Or is it ok to use the T rated tire?
 

·
I am the KING
looking for SF5
Joined
·
870 Posts
Im a big fan of Yokohoma/Advan

But the NeoGeo gets great reviews and when I was sellinig parts I had ALOT OF PEOPLE BUY THEM.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
zee lee said:
Goodyears tripple come in a H rated 215-60-16?

Or is it ok to use the T rated tire?
The 215/60R16 is a 94T but the 225/60R16 is a 97H.
Better load, better speed.
I've got them and they've been great.
 

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT
Joined
·
189 Posts
I just went through a set of KDW 225/55/16- fantastic tire, wet and dry. But they only lasted 10months. Price, $600

I have 1500 miles on a new set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, 225/55/16. A very cush ride, great handling, but not quite the performer like the BFGs. I was told that I should get 10,000-15,000 more miles.Price, $890

I was told that the thread ct, or something like that was 400 for the Mich v. 300 for the BFG KDW.
 

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
Joined
·
3,970 Posts
RemyJ said:
zee lee said:
Goodyears tripple come in a H rated 215-60-16?

Or is it ok to use the T rated tire?
The 215/60R16 is a 94T but the 225/60R16 is a 97H.
Better load, better speed.
I've got them and they've been great.
Correct! I have the H speed rated for my Lexus (205 60 16), the T speed is all my wife needs for her non turbo 2003 XS. :wink:
 

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
Joined
·
4,129 Posts
sdca'04fxt said:
I was told that the thread ct, or something like that was 400 for the Mich v. 300 for the BFG KDW.
They're tires not sheets! :lol: The numbers you are refering to are durometer or hardness ratings. Not the most exact science as there's no set standard for this rating. It's a somewhat accurate way to compare tires but there are a lot of other factors invovled, namely the monkey behind the wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Lexusfreak said:
I put a set of the new Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads on my wife's Forester (215 60 16) & my 2001 Lexus ES 300. This is without a doubt the best tire for poor weather traction I have ever owned......it makes the Forester unstoppable in snow & ice to go along with it's fantastic AWD system. They came in first overall in a recent CR test of some 18 premium all season tires....no need for winter rubber with theis one imo & an 80,000 mile warranty to boot! :wink:
I wouldn't use the word "upstoppable" because one would like to be able to come to a stop when braking in snow or slippery conditions. :wink:

I just put on a set of the same Goodyears also. Still waiting for the snow to come. The treads are pretty aggressive looking. I noticed I stop a lot earlier now when braking. Also, the ABS doesn't kick in when I brake over bumpy roads. This is not a performance tire, which is fine for me since I don't drive aggressively or too fast. I've read reviews from tirerack where folks with rear-wheel drive love that they are actually able to drive their cars in the snow, so that says a lot in my book and should make these tires an even better addition to our AWD Forester.
 

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
Joined
·
3,970 Posts
hunts said:
I wouldn't use the word "upstoppable" because one would like to be able to come to a stop when braking in snow or slippery conditions. :wink:

I just put on a set of the same Goodyears also. Still waiting for the snow to come. The treads are pretty aggressive looking. I noticed I stop a lot earlier now when braking. Also, the ABS doesn't kick in when I brake over bumpy roads. This is not a performance tire, which is fine for me since I don't drive aggressively or too fast. I've read reviews from tirerack where folks with rear-wheel drive love that they are actually able to drive their cars in the snow, so that says a lot in my book and should make these tires an even better addition to our AWD Forester.
lol, 'unstoppable' in the term I used, ment that you won't get stuck :wink: not that you couldn't stop. The vast majority of Subi owners who have the TT no matter which model speak VERY highly of them & both my wife & I concur.
 

·
Registered
06 xt ltd
Joined
·
25 Posts
SenorSubie said:
Traction T/A :)
SenorS,
I'm looking at Traction T/A's for my 06 XT. Did they firm up the steering feel at all ? The Geo's that came with the car are ugly, did you go with the H or V
rated ? Any comments gratefully accepted.
 

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring HTCVT
Joined
·
943 Posts
Topping this, as I'd also like to know about the steering feel of the Traction T/A's, as well as the Goodyear TTs, compared to the Geos.

As much as I hate the thought of dropping $400 for new tires with only 7000 miles on my Geos, but as I get more comfortable with the XT I can really feel the limits of the Geos and it will only get worse by the day.

My compromise will be finding a tire that handles better than the Geo on wet and dry pavement, while still allowing me to do some light (even moderate, ideally) off-roading.

In addition to the tires I mentioned above what about the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S? Expensive, but if they would best fill my needs I might be willing to cough up the extra $$$.
 

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
Joined
·
317 Posts
Doug said:
Topping this, as I'd also like to know about the steering feel of the Traction T/A's, as well as the Goodyear TTs, compared to the Geos.

As much as I hate the thought of dropping $400 for new tires with only 7000 miles on my Geos, after a Cobb Stage 1 upgrade I can really feel the limits of the Geos and it will only get worse by the day.

My compromise will be finding a tire that handles better than the Geo on wet and dry pavement, while still allowing me to do some light (even moderate, ideally) off-roading.

In addition to the tires I mentioned above what about the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S? Expensive, but if they would best fill my needs I might be willing to cough up the extra $$$.
I'm literally replacing my Traction A/T's this weekend... I've had em on for 45k and this past weekend in the snow it was getting a little hairy... they are practically bald on the edges, heh.

Overall, I have to say I have been EXTREMELY PLEASED with these tires. When they were brand new I could take my car in 8" of powder without chains consistently. In the dirt they handle like a dream... they'll grab just about anything. On the road they perform very nice... not quite as nice as a low profile michelin for example, but they are firm in the corners and even BETTER in the rain. They were awesome on the track too.. nice and sticky, quick steering response, overall a great balance between on and off road performance. Given the way I (and I'm assuming most of you) drive, they didnt last the 60k they are supposed to, but hey... thats the cost of having fun.

I just did a bunch of comparison this past week looking for an even nicer tire, but after going over everything, these tires are definatly the best bang for the buck. Costco carries the A/Ts in 215/60 and only wants $108 a tire, including lifetime balance/rotation. Any other tire that promises better performance is well over $150.

I'm getting my new set installed tomorrow... I highly recommend this tire unless you want to spend the big bucks on something nice, like a michelin MXV4 S8 :wink:
 

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
Joined
·
2,076 Posts
Lispisgone said:
Overall, I have to say I have been EXTREMELY PLEASED with these tires. When they were brand new I could take my car in 8" of powder without chains consistently. In the dirt they handle like a dream... they'll grab just about anything. On the road they perform very nice... not quite as nice as a low profile michelin for example, but they are firm in the corners and even BETTER in the rain. They were awesome on the track too.. nice and sticky, quick steering response, overall a great balance between on and off road performance. Given the way I (and I'm assuming most of you) drive, they didnt last the 60k they are supposed to, but hey... thats the cost of having fun.

I just did a bunch of comparison this past week looking for an even nicer tire, but after going over everything, these tires are definatly the best bang for the buck. Costco carries the A/Ts in 215/60 and only wants $108 a tire, including lifetime balance/rotation. Any other tire that promises better performance is well over $150.

I'm getting my new set installed tomorrow... I highly recommend this tire unless you want to spend the big bucks on something nice, like a michelin MXV4 S8 :wink:
I couldn't have said it better!

I put the T/A's on after only about 2,000 miles on the squeelers. IMHO you would be hard pressed to find a better all around tire for the money. They are excellent on wet and dry, and while obviously not as good in the snow as a dedicated snow tire, they do very well in it.
 

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
Joined
·
35 Posts
I loved the Traction T/A's - had the H rated on my FXT, way stiffer sidewalls than the Geo's & better traction under all driving conditions. Prior to that I had Falken 512's, which were ok from a traction standpoint (not as good as the T/A's though) but still had very soft sidewalls.

Now I'm back to driving on crappy tires again, my new OBXT has the lovely RE-92A's - can't wait until they wear out...
 

·
Registered
2006 Forester
Joined
·
174 Posts
I had Traction T/As on my Accord and they were nice. This time, I was down to the Avon 550s and the Michelin Exaltos. I have read some reviews that the 550s flat spot overnight and then are fine after a few miles. While this may not seem odd to others, that may be enough to make me lean towards the Exaltos. I am going to look at two more, one by Pirelli(Nero Zero or something like that) and one by Yokohama (Avid TRZ?). I'll keep an eye on reviews and talk to some local tire shops before I decide.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top