Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for my 'senior moment' rant !

Are we now incapable of assuming responsibility for our actions and their consequences ? Has everything become --"someone else's fault and they must PAY for it " ???
Let me take the recent snowfall/ice as an example. I keep reading about some Joe Bloggs or other who slipped and is going to sue his local council. Wife tells me of an actual ongoing court case where a council gritted a path, man walks down and falls over, man is actually (yes , really ) sueing the council because he says 'I wasn't as careful in walking because the path had been gritted ! ?????" Council Solicitor says they would have a 'stronger' case if the path had NOT been gritted ! I ask you... what are we coming to ?
We have become 'compensation' obsessed to such a point that the genuine failure of responsibility, real incompetence etc just becomes buried in the trivia !
And don't even mention conkers !

AAAGGGHHHH !

Brian

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,436 Posts
totally agree ......nobody will be able to move out of there house soon . It will get worse as time goes on especially with the new generation of kids coming through who have virtually no responsibilty at all and think they can do as they please , which infact they can as it happens ......A friend of mine is a teacher and he got 'told off' by the head teacher for 'shouting too loudly' at the poor little creatures , ah bless . It was turned into his fault, not the kids for messing about ...what sort of message does this send out to them ??another teacher at his school got the sack for telling a pupil to f-off ...the kid had damged his car and told him to his face that his wife was a whore and was going to stab her if he saw her in the street ....he got sacked and the parents and boy sent an apology .....if you think this is an inner London run down school then think again....its a well to do private school in Hertfordshire !! DO YOU WHAT EVER YOU WANT AND SOMEONE ELSE WILL PAY

·
Registered
120 Posts
The Media love the elf & saftey tales, remember most accidents happen in the home....
Nowhere is safe , mind out for the meteor heading our way.

The solution > reduce fuel price by 25% for Subaru only drivers, enjoy the whoosh.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT
542 Posts
Kind of like my neighbor calling city council because the lights from the high school field are bothering him.
My wife's interpretation: The light probably interferes with his binoculars (he is on the HOA board and spies on the neighborhood)
City council suggestion: Get some drapes for the windows.

·
Registered
2007 Outback Manual
575 Posts
The car park at work is a mess with frozen slush. It's very difficult to walk on and very slippery, but they wont clear it or even grit is as if anyone falls the company is liable. As it stands it's a natural hazard so there is no claim against the company if someone falls. Shame we have to think like this rather than do the common sense thing and make it easier for staff to walk across.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
is it sue itis or is it lack of common sense itis.

You'd think it should be the other way round, clear your own path or will sue your arse!

Mind you when we had the first bout of snow I salted the road which leads up to the back of our houses all I was doing was the corner as its lethal being at the bottom of a slope. One of the work shy fopps at who live on the hill comes out and starts giving me grief because I hadnt salted all the way up - to her house. I cant repeat my reply on here word for word but it was basically "get of your fat unemployed backside and do your own" which was met with a V sign and storming off! Since then I havent bothered as I can get my car up and down with no problem, but nobody else can!

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
963 Posts
And a Happy New Year to you, Grumpy Grandpa Lacey :raspberry:

Can we assume that you've not seen your granddaughter lately :icon_sad:

·
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it's not just me then ! That's a relief.
It just seems so stupid that ordinary common sense is no long applicable, 'we've done our best but can't guarantee every spot of ice is gritted,.. take care !'
At the start of winter I called into local DIY store and bought a couple of bags of road salt so our own garden path is safe for us to use, neighbours want to know why the council aren't out gritting their OWN path !! I ask you !

Ah well....rant over ( until the next one )

Cheers

Brian

·
..now Maidstone
MY14 Audi SQ5 8AT
2,398 Posts
is it sue itis or is it lack of common sense itis.

You'd think it should be the other way round, clear your own path or will sue your arse!

Mind you when we had the first bout of snow I salted the road which leads up to the back of our houses all I was doing was the corner as its lethal being at the bottom of a slope. One of the work shy fopps at who live on the hill comes out and starts giving me grief because I hadnt salted all the way up - to her house. I cant repeat my reply on here word for word but it was basically "get of your fat unemployed backside and do your own" which was met with a V sign and storming off! Since then I havent bothered as I can get my car up and down with no problem, but nobody else can!
I hear you Mike.... I am the only person who has cleared a path in the road, and now people just assume they can come down and turn around on my drive as its clear....gggrrrrrr

·
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And a Happy New Year to you, Grumpy Grandpa Lacey :raspberry:

Can we assume that you've not seen your granddaughter lately :icon_sad:
Not since just after Xmas :biggrin: But Grandson No2 will be staying with us from Feb as Daughter starts a new job in Northampton and moves back in with us until she sells the house in Todmoreden or partner succeeds in getting a transfer and they can then rent . No2 is 15months old , just walking and into everything....should be fun :biggrin:

Cheers

Brian

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,485 Posts
totally agree ......nobody will be able to move out of there house soon . It will get worse as time goes on especially with the new generation of kids coming through who have virtually no responsibilty at all and think they can do as they please , which infact they can as it happens ......A friend of mine is a teacher and he got 'told off' by the head teacher for 'shouting too loudly' at the poor little creatures , ah bless . It was turned into his fault, not the kids for messing about ...what sort of message does this send out to them ??another teacher at his school got the sack for telling a pupil to f-off ...the kid had damged his car and told him to his face that his wife was a whore and was going to stab her if he saw her in the street ....he got sacked and the parents and boy sent an apology .....if you think this is an inner London run down school then think again....its a well to do private school in Hertfordshire !! DO YOU WHAT EVER YOU WANT AND SOMEONE ELSE WILL PAY
This is absolutely insane! I would "understand" if it happens in a private school since the head would want to keep his customer (see parents) happy (private is not necessarily better it all comes down to the responsibility of the teacher as a person) but the sad thing is it happens in public schools as well! I have a friend who is a teacher too (in Greece) and he has told me that the level of education is so much worse compared with 15-20 years ago :chair: :icon_frown:
Pupils cannot even put their thoughts down on a paper and despite the ridiculous marks they are still passing on to the next class...
UK is not the only country where this happens...

·
Registered
1997 T/tb
511 Posts
I had to go look it up... V sign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the US you would just get a finger
And in France you'd get a Bras D'Honneur

These are the only friendly gestures I have received over the years. :biggrin::biggrin:
The V sign is typically English.

we used to stick up the V fingers at the French when we were at war with them many years ago. These fingers are used to pull back bow strings of a bow and arrow.

the French used to capture the English and chop these 2 fingers off to stop us pulling the bow string.

So the English waved these two fingers at the french to signify " I Still Have Mine"

Useless information.... im full of it!:shrug:

·
Registered
2005 forester sti 6MT
373 Posts
your are not on your own with these sentiments

sadly - there is a whole new breed of person in the UK who are determined to live off others by any means they can other than working /earning an income - this often involves seeking ways to obtain compensation for what we would deem as their own incompetence/fecklessness.

Sure they are being encouraged by the legal profession as they will take their cut too and they have even less scruples/morals.

This has in part, led to the creation of a generation of self-centred and uncaring people who have no time or consideration for anyone but themselves ( the 'Me generation') and to a deepening level of resentment amongst the generation before them who can remember when people weren't so ignorant and uncaring - the grumpies like ourselves ( or at least a fair proportion here).

I am not sure how this is all going to end - since the expected change in government is likely to exacerbate and not cure this division. I would predict the advent of more and more gated communities and an ever increasing gulf between the haves and have-nots.

Since our criminal justice system has all but been dismantled entirely in the last decade, I also fear an increasing level of lawlessness amongst the less privileged - which is sure to be our number one issue going forwards. I also sense an increasing lack of willingness on the part of those who are working to fund those who have no intention of doing so or who have made themselves unemployable via their past actions ( e.g. I work for a major employer in the north west who carries out deep background searches on any new potential employee - in the current generation seeking work, it is leading to immediate exclusion of about 25% of the applicants since that is how many are previous offenders or who have some other impediment to them being trustworthy enough to employ)

I often wonder where all this will end and to what sort of a world I am bringing up my 3 children.

I don't mean to depress folks further - but it does seem this is about to get a lot worse as the next generation to leave school are being brought up on a diet of 'get rich quick' style reality TV - in which the mistaken belief is that anyone can do whatever they want in life and there is no need to have to work to get there. The sad reality is far removed from that - as so many school and college leavers are currently finding out the hard way.

We are also storing up a pensions and healthcare nightmare - where more than half the population is not able to or is too irresponsible to make provision for themselves in future - and I really can't see the current generation wanting to pay punitive taxes in their later years in order to pay for the benefits needed by those reaching retirement age and having no way to support themselves.

Not that this is much better elsewhere in Europe - I have had this reported to me from colleagues in Italy, France and other European countries who describe similarly unruly/lawless younger generations and the erosion of what we used to call the community.

sorry to be so morose - must be all the recent traumas I have had to endure over the cold spell - or maybe its S.A.D.

I did clear my paths in spite of the above - in the vain hope that others in the street would follow suit - ha ha - more fool me!

Paul W

·
New Member Greeter
2011 Octavia vRS DSG
2,403 Posts
It's madness isn't it? Don't know what others' supermarket car parks are like but the one that we go to is a skating rink because they refuse to grit it for fear of being sued.

Councils not gritting pavements is a disgrace and all I hope is that it's the 'sue everyone and anyone I'm a litigation mad solicitor' that falls and breaks a bone or ten.

I've cleared the from our front door to the gate and from the gate to the drivers door of my Foz and, whilst my neighbours are all fine people a lot of them either work from home, have retired early or are just so well off they don't work and as far as I'm concerned if they want to make it easier for themselves they must put the work in. The lane to the house is coated in inches of packed snow, no problem for the Foz or, funnily enough the next door neighours Rav4 but everyone else is stuffed, as far I am concerned if they want to make it passable for themselves they need to get out there with their spades and clear some of it.

·
Premium Member
98 JDM Stb Manual
3,788 Posts
The V sign is typically English.

we used to stick up the V fingers at the French when we were at war with them many years ago. These fingers are used to pull back bow strings of a bow and arrow.

the French used to capture the English and chop these 2 fingers off to stop us pulling the bow string.

So the English waved these two fingers at the french to signify " I Still Have Mine"

Useless information.... im full of it!:shrug:
Urban Myth number 73

There are no records of the V sign earlier than the Victorian era, and as most people know it as V for victory

Its a good story though

I am in education and there is a certain minority who just expect everything on a plate. The vast majority however are just kids trying to fit into a scary world. I am glad I am not 16 - 18.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
I have three neighbours who are all on the sausage roll and two of them, a couple, have been there since we've lived here which is 10 years and have never worked, its the same one who complained because I hadnt put enough grit near there house. He has a brand new car, albeit a korean shlte box but new none the less and last year they had a massive conservatory built on the back of their house. Now how can he afford that?

I must be doing something wrong cos I work every hour I can and I can just about afford to pay my tax bill, let alone have a huge conservatory built.

I also have to say all three have the attitude of "Why should I work, I get paid to be unemployed"

On Brians original point I personally think it should be the other way round, if you dont clear your path you're liable. The pavements would soon be cleared then if it was your responsibility - but what would probably happen is insurance would go through the roof with claims. Why do people think its someone elses responsibility to do everything for them?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts