Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Forrester
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '98 Forester started fine this morning (3 year old battery). I drove to pick up a friend. Sat in the snow for about 15 minutes listening to radio with car off. Tried to start it and nothing. Take the key out and put back in several times and sometimes the interior lights would come on and sometimes nothing.

Had to get out of the road and popped the clutch and it started right up with full power. Was hoping the battery was uncharged, but after driving another 15 minutes I turned it off and tried to see if it would start. Again...nothing. While I was driving there was no indication that I was low on power, but the electric locks wont even work now, though they make a sad sound. Windows have no power while it is off.

Is this a problem that might be obvious to solve?

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
sounds like loose or corroded battery connection(s)

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
My '98 Forester started fine this morning (3 year old battery). I drove to pick up a friend. Sat in the snow for about 15 minutes listening to radio with car off. Tried to start it and nothing. Take the key out and put back in several times and sometimes the interior lights would come on and sometimes nothing.

Had to get out of the road and popped the clutch and it started right up with full power. Was hoping the battery was uncharged, but after driving another 15 minutes I turned it off and tried to see if it would start. Again...nothing. While I was driving there was no indication that I was low on power, but the electric locks wont even work now, though they make a sad sound. Windows have no power while it is off.

Is this a problem that might be obvious to solve?

Thanks for reading.
The battery probably hadn't charged up. Once the car is running it can power just about everything using just the alternator. The battery is probably pretty dead now, once they're fully discharged they'll never fully hold a charge again.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
39,524 Posts
^^ I agree. The battery needs to be replaced. In addition, there may be other issues, as in the battery not fully charging. I'd start with a new battery & go from there. :wink:

Bobby...

My MODding Journal

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
cheaper batteries can certainly go bad in 3 years.

but you really think it would be so discharged starting once and listening to radio for 15 minutes that it wouldn't crank the car? or that it wouldn't have recharged enough driving to pick up friend to turn the motor over? sounds like some other issue. i think the other electrical problems (lights, etc.) point to a bad connection somewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts