Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, last two days- reversing from start up. First time- I stalled three times however this time I ready and immediately dipped the clutch to avoid stalling.

Select reverse and let the clutch out- car revs drop right down then recover and swing down again (I've already dipped clutch to save from stalling)- happened again today and this time the engine light came on. The car didnt stall and set off fine with no power loss, power-dip etc.

Other points:
1. The car hasn't overheated.
2. No squeels
3. No loss of any fluids
4. The car pulls fine in any gear.

Could it be the *exhaust emissions sensor or air-sensor throwing a fault code?

Maybe needs the sensor cleaning and resetting?

At somepoint reading this topic you are thinking 'you have to go down to a 'subaru dealer'....which leads to my next question- they are 25miles away. Do you think its 'safe' hypothetically to drive that far with the engine light on?!

(non-turbo manual petrol)

·
Registered
1998 Forester
213 Posts
I can't really help without knowing what code is set. In the U.S. it is safe to drive with the light on unless it is flashing.

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't really help without knowing what code is set. In the U.S. it is safe to drive with the light on unless it is flashing.
When you say what code is set- what do you mean?

Worsecase, Im worry it could be a oil pump (if thats possible?). idle control valve- not a biggie etc.

·
Registered
2004 2.0 X
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When the check engine light comes on it will set a trouble code in the engine control module (computer).
How do you read this as a consumer though? Only the dealership/garage can read this using a PC?

·
Registered
04 Forester X, MT
1,039 Posts
In the states many parts stores will read the code free with a code reader.

Otherwise you could buy your own code reader. Here it it would pay for itself if it saved you 2 or 3 trips to a garage to pay a diagnostic fee (depending on garage fee and how fancy a reader you purchased).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts