Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '09 non turbo automatic Forester was getting over 26 mpg average until 4 weeks ago. It dropped to around 21 and sometimes less. We had cold weather long before this occurred and my driving habits have not changed. I checked tire pressures, replaced air filter, bought gas at other stations and this week used cruise control on a 250 mile trip and still only get 21mpg. The dealer says winter fuel gets less milage and to pump the tires to 35 psi. Never had this problem with winter fuels before and 35 psi on a sub freezing day is a horrible ride. Any other ideas? I had installed a rooftop ski rack around the time this began but there is no way that could cause this much loss - especially at slower speeds. The car has 19,000 miles on it and had no problem last winter.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
The roof rack combined with winter fuel could make that much of a difference. On my XT winter fuel alone drops me from around 24 to 20 mpg highway.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I hope you're right. I don't recall this bad milage last winter but I did not have the rack on. Even city driving is lower and I can't imagine the rack making any differance at 35 mph. I did however notice even worse milage with 2 snowboards on the rack. I'm glad I didn't get the front lip spoiler - it may have made matters worse.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,589 Posts
I have been extremely careful in my driving and I am down from 26 to 21 on my NA. Wasn't near this bad last year. I'm tempted to think it might be the Autolite Plats. This summer I am going back to OEM .

·
Registered
2009 Forester
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Maybe they are just giving us crappier gas this year. I'm looking for some non-ethanol to see if that helps.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sometimes I see zero-e premium. The main reason I didn't buy an XT was so I didn't have to buy premium. I also saw a pump with 100% gas with a sign stating it was for snowmobiles and small engines. Need to check that out.

·
Registered
2015 Forester X 6MT 6-Gear Manual
1,373 Posts
My wifes gas mileage dropped from 29 to 25. Then all on her own she started using premium and the mileage is back up to 29! ( I am also topping off her oil that was dealer installed driveclean 5w30 with some leftover 5w30 QS HP syn - doubt that helped.)
My Yaris mileage is at a terrible 33mpg - its NEVER been that bad! Switched from Shell to Mobil last week - seems betterer given slower the rate of the gauge drop - will know for sure with a fillup tomorrow. Its NEVER been under 38! So ADC dont fret the autolite plugs just yet.

·
Registered
2005 Forester 2.5X LEV II
67 Posts
I started having a drop in mpg right after a local dealer did the oneway fuel valve recall.
I noticed a differance with the Winter fuel last year but notthis bad.
I wonder if the oil companies are diluting the fuel to make more profit.
Oil Companies are a Greedy Bunch.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The pumps say "up to 10% ethanol". We really don't know exactly how diluted our gas is. Maybe this year that amount is nearer the 10% than it used to be.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza, 2003 Bugeye Sport, 2010 Base, 2014 Base, 2015 Premium, 2017 Limited, 2020 Touring
1,020 Posts
I started having a drop in mpg right after a local dealer did the oneway fuel valve recall.
I noticed a differance with the Winter fuel last year but notthis bad.
I wonder if the oil companies are diluting the fuel to make more profit.
Oil Companies are a Greedy Bunch.
Yes they are diluting it, with more alcohol. Alcohol is much much cheaper for them to buy than gasoline, so the more they can dilute the gas with alcohol, the more profit. Some unscrupulous dealers have been caught, but apparently not enough.

Why do you think they are promoting a percentage increase of alcohol in gasoline from 10% to 15% or more?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts