Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have an 04 Forester STI, Am I right in thinking there is a factory sub in the boot, (LHS of the car). Mine has an aftermarket Stereo, and the woofer isn't working, I assume it hasn't been wired into the new head unit, does anyone what wires are for the sub? I assume it is active and has a fuse, does anyone know where this is?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
279 Posts
search pinout for the forester and locate the sub wires, and do the same for the aftermarket radio.

whats the aftermarket headunit? brand and model?

·
Registered
2003 2.5 X 10 speed :)
18 Posts
Stock headunit has a built in amplifier for the sub in the back. You need an aftermarket HU with an amp or get an amp to power the rear speaker. You might be able to tie into the Left Rear speaker to get some sound out of it but no promises if it will work well.

I have no idea on wiring since I didn't have a sub in my X model and mine has no OEM wiring for it as far as I know. I snatched one out of a pick and pull for $5 and I'm planning on putting a 8" or 10" instead of the 6x9" and using an amp to drive it.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
66 Posts
There is a good chance the factory Sub is designed to be "driven" by the head unit (amp is part is the head unit). Most aftermarket Head Units rely on an external amp for the sub. Best option is to replace the factory Sub with a "powered Sub". You will need to run separate power to the Sub'a AMP. Most "Powered" Subs use the head unit signal to turn the Sub/amp on and off in addition to providing the music signal so the amp doesn't stay on when the head unit/car is off.

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,936 Posts
@chris-red that so called subwoofer located on the left side of the cargo area is nothing more than a 6"x9" speaker. The factory/OEM head unit had a builtin amplifier to power that subwoofer.

When an aftermarket head unit is installed, you loose that subwoofer. Some member have powered that subwoofer with a add on single channel amplifier.

In my opinion, that cargo mounted speaker... subwoofer was worthless! We installed a Kenwood powered subwoofer in both our Foresters, here's a link to my Member Journal write up. :wink:

Audio upgrade - Part 3

Also...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the head unit installed now, it does have a RCA Sub output. But I can't work out where the sub connector is, there is a little 2 pin plug looks vaguely like a Tamiya connector but smaller with a white/blue yellow/black, is that it?

Is there a wiring diagram for it?

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,936 Posts
Subwoofer driver means it can drive... feed a signal (low level) to a subwoofer "amplifier". Powered subwoofers can be feed with this signal. The subwoofer amplifier then connects (high level - speaker level) to the subwoofer. That aftermarket head unit can't directly power a subwoofer, as it doesn't have a built in subwoofer amplifier like the factory/OEM head unit.
Is there a wiring diagram for it?
Take a look at this post in my Member Journal. :wink:

Again...
For the best forum experience, we recommend completing your "Public Profile". Specifically, the "About Me" section (Edit Your Details). This displays every time you make a post on the forum. This will provide information members may need to reply to your forum posts. You can edit this field via the "User Control Panel", aka, "User CP.

If you're using a mobile device, you may need to use a laptop or desktop computer to see all the user tools.
Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts