Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I put on my Subtle light duty skid plate. "Light duty" is kind of an understatement though. This thing is tough, and I especially love how it fits the contour of the the undercarriage, even up to the front lip. I'd say there's about a half inch of clearance between the plate and my fumoto oil drain valve.
Here's a couple pics

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
So you're going to have to take that thing off every time you change oil?
That seems a bit of a PITA.

Looks good though.
If they made one with an oil access hatch, I'd be all over it.

·
Premium Member
2004 FSTI automatic
2,643 Posts
Nice!! I love mine, and the fact that it serves the purpose of adding an aerodynamic aspect to the underbody.

Of course clearing the fumoto and STI lower arm bar, is a plus too...

Props to Subtle-Solutions, and looking forward to future products...:biggrin:

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,869 Posts
Looks great, do you have a link/ info on where you got it?

Thanks,
UP N MTNS
Oil changes shouldn't be that bad. There are only 4 bolts instead of 6-7 plastic ones. Plus, I like how it will enable me to check my exhaust manifold bolts to see if they have backed out at all, since I hear they back out often when another manifold is put in.

·
Registered
05 Forester XT Mt
197 Posts
My next thought about this item is aerodynamic aspect to the underbody to reduce air drag, which plagues the forester. I have been doing some research about air motion in underbody paneling. I read that this was cut on water jet and done in cad. Are the sides stepped back like that for a reason or is it just to clear moving objects. The STI lower arm bar if you were to use the 3/16 5052 and extended the skid to the mounting location would/could make for an even greater brace with just the skid plate. The next thought is what about a skid plate/aerodynamic underbody panel which utilized a lot of the empty voids between the body and lower object in the car to a rear air diffuser. This would need to be out 1/8 for its size one 4x8 sheet would be enough I think to make some thing to help aerodynamics and wind flow for under the car and maybe produce a little down force? It would have to be about four to five different shapes, which would be removable as it's own independent panel. It would be a cool add on but I think that the benefits would be worth it; this would be a lot of time with a water jet and cad to make some that worked with all the moving parts under the car. Maybe I need to go to bed and just deal with the flying brick theory.

·
Registered
2008 Forester Sport
1,427 Posts
Sweet man, just sweet.......how much do you think it weighs? I want one :biggrin:

I would assume taking off 4 of these bolts would be less effort then taking off all the stock pop-rivits to get in the stock access hatch. I despise those things

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The plate is an 1/8" in thickness and it weighs approx. 18 lbs.

^^^oh and that's his website.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,961 Posts
The plate is an 1/8" in thickness and it weighs approx. 18 lbs.

^^^oh and that's his website.
Website says 1/8" is 28 lbs. That's quite a bit of added weight, especially to the front.
I really like the piece, but you should always consider the weight/benefit ratio of anything you add to the car.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXT MT Cobb Stage 2
858 Posts
Website says 1/8" is 28 lbs. That's quite a bit of added weight, especially to the front.
I really like the piece. You should always consider the weight/benefit ratio of anything you add to the car though.
28 lbs is for a 48" x 48" sheet, not the skid plate itself.

Weight Comparison (raw sheet form):

* The following should help explain the weight difference between (.090" - 3/16") thick 5052 Aluminum.

* These sizes are for comparions purposes only. They do not reflect the actual weights of the CNC water jet skid/aero plates.

Qty = 1 48" x 48" piece of .090" (3/32") Thick 5052 grade Aluminum weighs => 20.8 LBS

Qty = 1 48" x 48" piece of .125" (1/8") Thick 5052 grade Aluminum weighs => 28.8 LBS

Qty = 1 48" x 48" piece of .1875" (3/16") Thick 5052 grade Aluminum weighs => 43.36 LBS

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.