Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I ordered my gauge bezel from Brad he also made me a OEM headunit vinyl layover. I put my Prosport gauges in last night and paint my center consol along with applying the Headunit layover as well. He is my little write up, I took as many pics as I could so if Brad sells more of these others can follow a little easier. Firstly let me say that the whole headunit covering took me about 30 minutes however I have been doing vinyl graphics on cars and electronics for several years. This is a project that takes a little time and caution but in the end it looks great. So here it goes :)

Tools:
-#2 Phillips head screw driver
-Plastic interior panel removal tool (tiny flatblade screw driver works too)
-Exacto with fresh blade or Box cutter with new blade
-Credit card or similiar tool to smooth our bubble in vinyl
-PATIENCE!!!!

This is what it looked like last night

Step one, I chose to cut out one section at a time. This is when your new blade comes in handy!!!

Apply the section you cut out from left to right or vice versa , then use your exacto or blade of your choice to carefully peel the vinyl away from the clear protective layer.

Do the same for the rest of the sections

On the last layer cut out the knob holes and the "Eject" button holes BEFORE applying. I didnt and this made it rather difficult to line everything up. Once you cut them out line it up and smooth out the air bubbles with a Credit card or a small ruler.

I painted my center console with Rustoleum for Plastics gloss black.

Just after popping the panels back on

All done

·
Registered
2008 Forester XT
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Of course when I got done it dawned on me that i HADNT ordered the Hazard button and A/C knob vinyls............:icon_cry: oh well. guess I have to now

·
Registered
07 2.5 Sports XT
12 Posts
Ken1010,

How is the rustoleum and gloss black paint holding up? Im pretty sure I want to do something similar, but I am just looking for feedback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts