Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot has been posted about these on the suspension forum but I just bunged a set on so I thought I'd post here.

It's like someone ironed the road. I didn't expect they'd make this much difference but I'm going to mark these as a 'must have' if you've got some suspension mods. Reason I say that is I don't think the stock suspension can put enough forces into the car to cause the inner wings to deflect but put some big wheels and roll bars etc on and it can.

I did the passenger side first and it had me cussing. Fortunately I had a little stubby ratchet or I'd still be trying to tighten the bolts up now. I couldn't get a ratchet head spanner between the bolt and the body of the brace. For some reason the second one just fell on in about 5 minutes. :shrug:

Anyway the steering is more weighty, the back feels more connected to the front, potholes are still there but less so, the steering doesn't get 'confused' when giving it a bootful out of slippery roundabouts and car seems quieter. In fact even the brake pedal feels more positive. Blasting down the back road home which was gnarly, wet, muddy, puddles all down the side and broken edges here and there the steering wheel was barely twitching. I usually have to correct a lot going down there at any kind of speed.

It could be said that these are expensive for a couple of bits of metal but they punch way outside their weight. I can't think of another thing I've done for the money that's as good.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
Man.. all of you guys saying good stuff about it.. keeps reminding me that I have STILL have yet to put mine on! LOL GAHHH

·
Registered
1997 forester stb manual
1,435 Posts
Fender braces? ....are you talking about a strut brace across the top of the engine ? or front arb ??:biggrin:

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
mmmm, wonder if there is an SF fitment ?

Brian

·
2,966 Posts
What are they called in English as the fender was what Grannie used to dry clothes on in front of the coal fire !

Brian

·
Registered
05 XT2.5
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow ...they look like a real mission to fit those puppies !:icon_biggrin:
I didn't take the wings off (fenders? - some sort of guitar?) although I put them on at Zen and when Paul heard me cussing he reckoned it would have been quicker if I had. Once you've done one the second is easy but you need a very skinny spanner/ratchet to do the top bolt up at the front. I loctited everything as they supply plated bolts which I always think are more prone to working loose.

Anyway still loving them. Be nice to try them on a dry road <doesn't hold breath>.

·
Registered
2014 Audi S4 Black Ed Semi auto
439 Posts
I thought fenders where what you put done the side of a boat to stop it smashing into the dock???

Still, it could be worse, this morning I was driving down the Motorway (Freeway) and some guy threw a *** out of his window!!!

Its actually pretty common over here!*

* Do you think our cousins across the pond will get that humour???

·
2,966 Posts
Had a quick reply from Subtle Solutions......

""Hey Brian,

Thanks for your interest in our products.

I'm not sure if the SF Forester has fender holes or not. Our 04-08 Forester
braces will NOT fit.

However, if you do have threaded holes (4 total) the 93-07 Impreza braces
may fit.

Can you check this out for us? We don't have an SF available to test fit.

Thanks.
-Brad ""

So where do I look to see if the SF has these threaded holes or does someone know and can say YES or NO ?

Are there any made by a UK supplier for the SF ?
Cheers

Brian

·
Registered
2009 JDM XT Forester Auto
682 Posts
A quick reply from cdf-racing

Hello,

Its not something we do, But if we had enough interest then we would make them , probably 10 sets would get the cost down enough to make them not too expensive to buy

Thanks
Chris Florey
CDF Racing Ltd

·
Registered
07 Sti
146 Posts
I didn't take the wings off (fenders? - some sort of guitar?) although I put them on at Zen and when Paul heard me cussing he reckoned it would have been quicker if I had. QUOTE]

How tricky is it to remove the inner plastic liner? Presumably once that's off, the captive threads are (relatively) accessible?

Interesting to see that one pair of holes are slotted for easy fitting - but that means that location is by the tension of the bolt head?

Simon

·
Premium Member
2015 XC diesel CVT
4,053 Posts
There are "fender braces" fitted as standard on the SH; I wonder if they'd fit earlier models too?

p/nos are 50866SC0009P and 109P for right and left respectively...

·
Registered
2005 forester sti 6MT
371 Posts
I didn't take the wings off (fenders? - some sort of guitar?) although I put them on at Zen and when Paul heard me cussing he reckoned it would have been quicker if I had. QUOTE]

How tricky is it to remove the inner plastic liner? Presumably once that's off, the captive threads are (relatively) accessible?

Interesting to see that one pair of holes are slotted for easy fitting - but that means that location is by the tension of the bolt head?

Simon
FSTI ( all versions) have these already - its where the idea came from originally!

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
Easy......just bolts!

Simon

1 - 20 of 29 Posts