Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
2007 XT Sports Manual
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I think the bracket that the stock NA Forester belt cover (metal) bolts to is the same bracket used on the XT's. I will try and dig up some photos/diagrams off opposedforces website. Sorry for the delayed response.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,529 Posts
Brad, the NAs and turbos have different attachment points. The NAs are missing the left one IIRC because we weren't designed to receive the covers. But yeah, NA cars can't use the turbo covers without fabbing up another bracket.

·
Registered
2004 2.5X
68 Posts
Okay. Here's what I've got.

OEM brackets in place:

Passenger side bracket (I already partially ground down the corner):

Bracket rotated:

Alternator cover in place:

The passenger side sits slightly higher and towards the rear using this bracket. I am going to put a couple of bends in it to bring it down and forward. I just have to be careful to ensure adequate clearance behind and around the power steering pulley.

Or, better yet, if there is an XT specific bracket that replaces the one shown on the passenger side, I'll order one of those. If someone has the part number, I would be extremely grateful. I spent about an hour and a half last night sorting through the parts list on SubaruOnlineParts.com, but couldn't find it.

Edited to add - I think I found the bracket, but also noticed the N/A and Turbo power steering pumps have different part numbers...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ok I received this today and like everyone else said, it is a beautiful piece; however, how in the world did you guys install the driver's side bolt? Either my hands are too damn big or something because I can't get the nut onto the bolt for the life of me. I've dropped the damn nut like 50 times trying to hold it between two fingers just to get it on the bolt.

·
Banned
2007 XT Sports Manual
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Ok I received this today and like everyone else said, it is a beautiful piece; however, how in the world did you guys install the driver's side bolt? Either my hands are too damn big or something because I can't get the nut onto the bolt for the life of me. I've dropped the damn nut like 50 times trying to hold it between two fingers just to get it on the bolt.
Use a piece of painters tape to hold the washer and lock nut. Rotate the allen bolt on the top and use a box wrench to hold the lock nut from spinning on the bottom. Come from it on the right side, rather than under the cover.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Use a piece of painters tape to hold the washer and lock nut. Rotate the allen bolt on the top and use a box wrench to hold the lock nut from spinning on the bottom. Come from it on the right side, rather than under the cover.
Not sure if it's my car, but i cant fit anything underneath even from the right. The belt is in the way. At any rate, I went ahead and JB welded the nut onto the bracket and did it that way. This way I can remove the cover at will if need be without losing the nut. Too bad Subaru didn't make a threaded bracket like the passenger side.

·
Banned
2007 XT Sports Manual
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Not sure if it's my car, but i cant fit anything underneath even from the right. The belt is in the way. At any rate, I went ahead and JB welded the nut onto the bracket and did it that way. This way I can remove the cover at will if need be without losing the nut. Too bad Subaru didn't make a threaded bracket like the passenger side.
That works too.

I agree with ya on the Subaru bracket.

·
RESTRICTED Member
2004 Forester XS 5 speed manual
661 Posts
i might have to give this a go with my lazer etching machine, this gives me a lot of ideas.
could you guys sell me unpainted radiator and alternator covers? (not the brushed one)

·
Banned
2007 XT Sports Manual
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
i might have to give this a go with my lazer etching machine, this gives me a lot of ideas.
could you guys sell me unpainted radiator and alternator covers? (not the brushed one)
:banana: Do it!

All of our shrouds are manufactured from pre-line grained #4 304 Stainless Steel. Your laser etching (Epilog I'm assuming?) machine shouldn't have any issues with burning in your design.

To laser etch, you may to apply that greenish/gray paint to the cover to burn in your design. Sorry, can't remember the name of that stuff off hand.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts