Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
481 Posts
That is some seriously rugged terrain in the background...where were those photos taken?

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
For people familiar with the area- it was basically in the Waiparous area.

This was a good time indeed, trees, mountains, rivers, hills, mud, and half frozen puddles
I loved it, the wife when I got home, not so much.

Thanks to Subieoutlaw for showing me around a little and for the map... and for correcting my wrong way, almost to an indian reserve... stupid gps.

On a very adventurous future trip perhaps we could see marker 89, one way or another or both.

We left much muddier then this.
It was fun.

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
So when are we going to see them dirty???
You wont.Other then the video that outlaw has, I don't have anymore pics.

At the end it was dirty, The step bars were completely covered in mud and there were chunks on the hood and mirror but there are no pics and the wife made me wash it already... she wouldn't take it to work like that tomorrow, and I don't want to drive the Jeep, I want to drive my Forester.

So its pretty again now.

Bay 4 at the coin op car wash needs to be cleaned though.

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Something funny.

The path we completed just before the photos taken above had a lot of deep dry puddles, mud etc.

At the end of the trail....

A Ford Winstar minivan. Some mountain bikers used it to find their trail.

We both got a laugh out of it when we pulled up in a Subie and a Jeep. My thought, you can do a lot of off roading if you take the right line and at the right speed.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
nice pics guys, don't get me started on "Alberta Mountains" :biggrin:

My thought, you can do a lot of off roading if you take the right line and at the right speed.
growing up my dad went everywhere with his 94 corolla wagon, that car saw more gravel roads than most of the trucks in town. careful wheel placement, held breath, and crossed fingers made it over most roads.

On the other hand, it also helps if you couldn't care less about your vehicle; case in point: on our rally last weekend the fastest car over the worst stretch of mud/clay/uphill mess was a beater 1990 prelude, by 20seconds.. in a rally with 5 imprezas, our foz, a 323GTX and a GTiR. :icon_frown:

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
Just so happens that today, a good jeep customer of ours brought me in another trail map. This one is for Kananaskis Country, (McLean creek). I have been there before a bunch of times, camping, and offroading in other peoples trucks but never my own. South on 22 and a then west of Bragg Creek, Elbow falls area. Not sure if you have been down this way or not but I figured it's another nearby option for us to play at.

I did find it a nice coincidence that I actually had something to talk about with the guy other then the usual, "I really like your Jeep" and "Go Flames Go" stuff.

I also found out one of the parts guys is a rookie off roader too, and he would love to come tag along.... in his green 09 4 door Rubicon. I didn't think you would mind.

you may have just started something here outlaw.... my wife will be so happy I have a new hobby!

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have all my maps for Alberta in with my spare tire. I have driven in that area. It is meant for those with more lift and fatter tires.

I wouldn't try it in the the spring/fall. Too much mud for most vehicles.

It more drivable in the summer when it has dried out. I like driving the Smith Dorian. Lotrs of little areas to play in and also lets me drive like a rally driver.

·
Registered
09 XT
448 Posts
the jeep doesn't go like a rally car... more like a snowplow.

I would want both vehicles there for a day like that.
thinking more, quoting myself and post whoring a little-

trust me on the way back yesterday, i was pissed to watch you pull away, and pass with ease, while I lumbered along, wanting to play in my other ride.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts