Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping the community can provide me some advice in dealing with my insurance company.

My Forester was hit Thursday evening by a full-sized SUV traveling in excess of the speed limit. The entire rear of the car is crushed. I'm lucky for the crush zone because my passenger and I have only mild whiplash rather than more significant injuries. I documented the car before it was delivered to the shop and know that the subframe is significantly deflected, the rear aluminum impact beam is shorn from the frame, the hatchback is gone, the welded seam of the tire well is no more, etc., etc., etc. I don't see how the car could not be written off as totaled.

Do any members have experience with this? I am worried that the car will be repaired and that I'll be expected to take back a car that now has a significant accident reported either on the Title or Carfax. Any suggestions?

I'll also want another shop to estimate the work. Any recommendations in the Bay Area? Geico referred me to Foreign Body Shop in Oakland on Webster Street, which is half a block from my place. They have a "Geico Damage Adjuster on staff". That made me more apprehensive.

Thanks everyone.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
:( :( :(

Sorry to hear about your accident... From the sounds of it, it will most likely be totalled (frame damage plus excessive body damage).

Contact Roo for any recommendations on body shops in the Bay Area; he knows a lot of them personally.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,295 Posts
ooh, I think I saw your car on my way to Sac... eesh. that thing has got to be classified as totaled man. but no clue as to a good shop as i can't say that i've even been in an accident :mrgreen:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeha hopefully it will get totalled, if it doesn't get totalled get it fixed and sell it immediatley.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
dlroto said:
Yeha hopefully it will get totalled, if it doesn't get totalled get it fixed and sell it immediatley.
Just not here. Sell it over at NASIOC. :p

At least you're able to tell us about it.
From your description, there's a good chance the Sube saved your life.
Glad your ok.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am very sorry to hear about your situation.

With experience from other car, I know that insurance companies will only total a car if the damage repair exceeds the total worth of the car.
I totaled my '96 Jetta GLS and it was so close to the total worth of the car, that the insurance company tried to have me get it fixed. We're talking down to the penny close. I told them flat out that it would not be safe for me and any of my passsengers to be riding in a vehicle that had been bent back into shape. Any time a vehicle has to be repaired It is one step closer to the grave.
My insurance ended up giving me the option of applying the amount of the current worth of the car to the loan, or purchasing an other car for the same amount of the worth estimate. I personally applyed the amount to the loan and payed the difference. Them I went and bought a new car, well used car........... a Subaru.......a Forester to be exact.

Get as many qotes a possible from body shops, and ask them if it is something they would do for their own car.

Just my two cents.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
The Subaru comes to the rescue yet again.
Quite a few members here and on other forums have been saved from serious injury or even death due to te safety features and build of the Subaru brand, I don't think I can see myself in any other brand of car here in Australia.

shinyhappyreturns nice to hear that you are both Ok matey. :D

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
985 Posts
shinyhappyreturns said:
I'll also want another shop to estimate the work. Any recommendations in the Bay Area? Geico referred me to Foreign Body Shop in Oakland on Webster Street, which is half a block from my place. They have a "Geico Damage Adjuster on staff". That made me more apprehensive.

Thanks everyone.
Sorry about your car. In addition to what the other guys are telling you I think it would be a good idea to learn what the value of your car would had been undamaged. This way you'll be ready to argue with the insurance company.(if you can.) Good luck.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not a fan of Carfax. I paid my fee, then promptly looked up Sexy Sally via her VIN (this was after her 2nd accident, and I was in the market for a new Forester). Carfax told me that my own car, which had been involved in two major accidents ($16000 repair for the first), had no accidents. So I promptly got my refund and will not use Carfax again. How could I trust that any results I get from future searches would be accurate?

·
Registered
13 Forester XT 4EAT
4,167 Posts
Sexy Sally said:
I'm not a fan of Carfax. I paid my fee, then promptly looked up Sexy Sally via her VIN (this was after her 2nd accident, and I was in the market for a new Forester). Carfax told me that my own car, which had been involved in two major accidents ($16000 repair for the first), had no accidents. So I promptly got my refund and will not use Carfax again. How could I trust that any results I get from future searches would be accurate?
Same thing happened to my sister's VW. It was involved in a major accident, well over $10,000 in damage while parked. But cops came, police reports were filed, insurance companies were invloved. When we went to sell it 3 years later, I ran a Carfax and it showed nothing. Carfax is a load of crap.

·
#8 Post ho
1999 Subaru Forester
2,441 Posts
I'm lucky to have a car in one piece after yesterday!

I stayed after school for about 10 min, something I rarely do, but with doing so, I feel that it saved the life of my car

While driving home the same route i do every day, I realise the cars infront are not moving, so I merge into the second lane, and drive past...

A limbo line of cars, smashed trunks/rears, hoods smashed, lights missing, and the drivers of the cars are standing looking at the mess from the median

8 of the 10 cars I found out where people's cars from my highschool, and many of those cars I follow out of the parking lot on a regular basis

If I just hadn't stayed after those 10 mins..my car would probally be totalled

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope you don't mind me asking...

Hey. I am very sorry to hear about your accident. I'm also relieved to hear that a Forester can take a hit like that and cover its occupants so well.

I need to scavange a part from you car.

I'm looking for a replacement dashboard bezel. This is the bezel that surrounds the stereo and has the climate control knobs. I scratched mine when changing the stereo. I suffer from serious OCD I can't stop thinking about the scratches. It's driving me bonkers!

Any chance I could purchase the bezel from your wreck?

Again, please understand that I mean no disrespect. I just thought if it's headed for the yard then why not ask?

Thanks,

Jindi

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
from what i understand, DMV's can be notoriously slow in updating their records. so if its not with DMV, carfax would not be able to pick up the accident. the only way to know if a car's been damaged is to conduct a thorough inspection.

Sexy Sally said:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would CERTAINLY get another estimate. Glad you're OK though.

It's hard to estimate how severe your auto body's damage is and how fixable it is uness you give the specifics of the accident. How fast was the driver speeding? How fast were you going? Or were you at standstill?

Similar to your accident, I was recently rear-ended by a car the past December by a car (drunk driver b*tch!) zooming at high-speed going 47 mph downhill who rammed straight into my back while I was waiting at a red light. My car's physical damages sound very similar to your description, if to be honest, not as nearly as bad as yours.

It took less than a day for my insurance adjustor to deem the car totaled. I think yours should be evaluated as totaled. Unfortunately, GEICO is not known to be the one of the better insurers around -- they offer discount prices for discount coverage. Consider paying AAA for a private 2nd party adjustment for a nominal fee.

Salvaging a car that is severely injured will only bring you heartache and endless future fixes down the road.

Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts