Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XT Touring (Cdn.) CVT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are Honda fans and we drove Accord, Integra (Acura), Odyssey, and Fit (still driving). Few months ago, I got rid of the Odyssey for a 2014 Forester XT. This is my first ever Subaru, first AWD, and first turbo.

With the ice storm just hitting Ontario, I am really glad to drive a Forester and I feel so confident on the bad road condition. Yesterday when I tried to back in to my in-law house's ice-coated driveway, the wheels was spinning. I turned on the X-mode and after some spin, it did the job!

I enjoy reading and finding info in this forum and learning to be a Subbie owner :)

Cheers,
Jonathan

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
373 Posts
Welcome to the forums from Western Pennsylvania and to the Forester family.

You may already know this however it is worth repeating, Don't ever think that the AWD means one can drive without the need for defensive winter driving procedures.

Enjoy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reminder. Definitely defensive driving is very important especially in winter like this. Since I drove FWD all my life, it's obvious AWD makes a difference.

Welcome to the forums from Western Pennsylvania and to the Forester family.

You may already know this however it is worth repeating, Don't ever think that the AWD means one can drive without the need for defensive winter driving procedures.

Enjoy

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,746 Posts
Welcome to the subaru family. By your pictures I see you have the stock tires. I suggest(if financially possible) buy some winter tires. Subarus are way more capable in winter with the proper boots on.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 X Premium 4EAT
84 Posts
Welcome! After I bought my first Subie(a 2006 Baja), I was hooked! I am now on number six with my Forester. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly it is way more capable with winter tires that I always put them on in Canadian winter. Actually the picture was taken in August. I got 4 Michelin XIce from the States with great rebates for less than $500 and tax free! I installed a hitch, a rooftop box and a bike rack for my new Subbie. So far I am very happy with my Forester.

You can see my little album here: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/members/119890-whitext2014-albums2906-my-forester.html

Welcome to the subaru family. By your pictures I see you have the stock tires. I suggest(if financially possible) buy some winter tires. Subarus are way more capable in winter with the proper boots on.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5i Lim CVT
282 Posts
I have had awd's in the past (4wd Chevy Blazer many years ago, and Honda Pilot fairly recently), but have mainly been driving fwd. It was actually scary how well my Forrester (first Subbie) gets around, I can see where it would give some a false sense of security when you can take off and pretty much go in whatever direction you want (to some extent). I still drive defensively, but can see why some would get into trouble with it, thinking the conditions were not as bad.

Our first snow/ice, I had driven my foz a little, but then got in my wife's Saturn Aura, and even with traction control, it still just spun and spun at the same spots my foz just goes, with hardly a slip. I don't even have winter tires (dont feel I really need them, as I have not used them since I quit driving RWD many years ago). I am sure they are better, just don't have issues getting around, even on my old FWD vehicles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I watched this video, I am amazed how good Subaru's AWD is.
It's not surprised the sales in Canada is rocket high.

I have had awd's in the past (4wd Chevy Blazer many years ago, and Honda Pilot fairly recently), but have mainly been driving fwd. It was actually scary how well my forester (first Subbie) gets around, I can see where it would give some a false sense of security when you can take off and pretty much go in whatever direction you want (to some extent). I still drive defensively, but can see why some would get into trouble with it, thinking the conditions were not as bad.

Our first snow/ice, I had driven my foz a little, but then got in my wife's Saturn Aura, and even with traction control, it still just spun and spun at the same spots my foz just goes, with hardly a slip. I don't even have winter tires (dont feel I really need them, as I have not used them since I quit driving RWD many years ago). I am sure they are better, just don't have issues getting around, even on my old FWD vehicles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts