Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting article about our Foz' cousin...

From https://jalopnik.com/subaru-wrx-owners-are-getting-all-of-the-speeding-ticke-1837034392

• Hyundai Veloster: 14.48 percent
  • Subaru Impreza: 14.66 percent
  • Infiniti G37: 14.72 percent
  • Dodge Dart: 14.86 percent
  • Dodge Ram 2500: 15.32 percent
  • Jeep Wrangler Unlimited: 15.35 percent
  • Hyundai Genesis Coupe: 15.75 percent
  • Volkswagen GTI: 16.92 percent
  • Scion FR-S: 19.09 percent
  • Subaru WRX: 20.12 percent
Well, my son got one on our '04 XT a few weeks back. So, he's in driving school to avoid it being on record. It costed him a lot for wjat he makes. Dammit.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
1,896 Posts
Kind of a misleading article title...
It's not that WRX owners are getting the highest percentage of tickets, it is that a higher percentage of WRX drivers have had at least one prior speeding ticket.
VW GTI drivers could get 5 times more of them... or not...
It also doesn't say that any of the WRX drivers actually got a speeding ticket in a WRX, just that the registered owner had previously had a speeding ticket, not what vehicle the driver was in when that ticket was issued.
But - If you consider how easy it is to exceed the speed limit (just about anywhere) in a WRX, it also shouldn't be a surprise that people who have proven they like to go fast (or at least went faster than posted at least once) would want to buy a car that can go when the skinny pedal is pressed.
That is one reason that they are expensive to ensure.
Myself, I tend to use what I have, which is a reason I would never consider a WRX.
Put your foot down in a Forester and you aren't going to break the land speed record.
Do the same in a WRX and you can get from zero to felony land in a very few seconds.

·
Premium Member
2004 forester sti
2,144 Posts
Interesting article about our Foz' cousin...

From https://jalopnik.com/subaru-wrx-owners-are-getting-all-of-the-speeding-ticke-1837034392

• Hyundai Veloster: 14.48 percent
  • Subaru Impreza: 14.66 percent
  • Infiniti G37: 14.72 percent
  • Dodge Dart: 14.86 percent
  • Dodge Ram 2500: 15.32 percent
  • Jeep Wrangler Unlimited: 15.35 percent
  • Hyundai Genesis Coupe: 15.75 percent
  • Volkswagen GTI: 16.92 percent
  • Scion FR-S: 19.09 percent
  • Subaru WRX: 20.12 percent
Well, my son got one on our '04 XT a few weeks back. So, he's in driving school to avoid it being on record. It costed him a lot for wjat he makes. Dammit.
H Ha I read that today .
I only ever got one ticket in the foz 87mph in a 70mph . thank god they didn't catch me 5 mins before .
that was 3 years ago and been good since then …… or just haven't been caught :LOL:

·
Registered
2010 Forester Automatic
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm an immigrant. I find it not practical to have a fast car in the US because of all the speed limits. Back home, I can speed up as much as I want that is comfortable to me. I went 160 mph on my sport bike sometimes.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
822 Posts
From the link:

“The team compiled a top-10 list, which classifies the percentage of drivers with a particular model who have past speeding tickets versus those who don’t, not the percentage of speeding tickets compared to drivers as a whole. More than 20 percent of WRX buyers included in the study had past speeding tickets, for example, giving it the top spot on the list. About 11.3 percent of U.S. drivers have a past speeding ticket, the study said, making the WRX about twice the average.
All of the cars on the list were pretty normal ones, probably because the folks with the louder, faster, more expensive cars either know better than to call attention to themselves on public roads or they don’t care to waste their time shopping around for the lowest insurance rates on some comparison website.”

Note sentence 2. More than 20% of WRX BUYERS had past speeding tickets.

Using that criteria, the the one speeding ticket I got when I was 16 (in 1970) in a 1969 Chevy Nova 4 cylinder would count against the Forester I own now...

·
Registered
2013/14 2.5i-L CVT
783 Posts
I find it not practical to have a fast car in the US because of all the speed limits
Then you don't want to drive in Australia where a road can have 3 changes of the speed limit in under a mile, fixed and mobile speed cameras are everywhere and in some states you get a ticket if you're only 2-3 kilometres over the posted limit. Plus, speeds here are more conservative with 100 kph/62 mph being the most common highway limit and only a couple of outback roads where you can drive faster than 110 kph/68 mph. But the per capita death toll is much lower.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts