Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FXT Limited 5MT
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I went outside to start my subaru and i turn the key and the engine cranks but it does not start up.

i know i'm supposed to check compression, spark plugs and fuel lines but i dont have the tools to do that.

i have a full tank of gas.

is there anything else i can do? please help a newb in trouble!

·
Registered
2007 FXT Limited 5MT
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a CEL, and I'm not sure what to listen for and where to listen for it when i'm starting the engine

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,063 Posts
do you have an OEM alarm system?

·
Registered
2007 FXT Limited 5MT
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i do have the oem alarm system. but usually when it doesnt want me to start the car it just doesnt even crank the starter motor

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,087 Posts
The fuel pump is located in the gas tank, under rear seat. It should make a faint whirring sound when the ignition key is moved to the start position.

Questions:
-
  • Have you checked for blown fuses?
  • Do you know the service history of your your new Forester?
  • Has your Forester been running normally? Any odd behavior?

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
on the same list of questions how old is the battery? has the the battery had a deep full discharge recently? a battery might have the charge to sound like its cranking the starter as normal ,but in reality its barely enough throw the starter drive gear out and not enough to make a proper spark to ignite the fuel ... just a thought throw it on a charger or try a jump and see if that does it

·
Registered
2007 FXT Limited 5MT
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In response to questions.

Yes, all of the fuses are good to go.
Yes, it was my grandfathers and he brought it in for all the scheduled maintenance.
It seems to be, it was running fine on Saturday morning when I took it for a 20 mile drive, nothing wrong with it at all.

·
Registered
2007 FXT Limited 5MT
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
on the same list of questions how old is the battery ? has the the battery had a deep full discharge recently ? a battery might have the charge to sound like its cranking the starter as normal ,but in reality its barely enough throw the starter drive gear out and not enough to make a proper spark to ignite the fuel ... just a thought throw it on a charger or try a jump and see if that does it
The battery was put in in january brand new when they installed new brake rotors at the repair shop, so I'm pretty sure the batterys fine.

·
Registered
2003 forester XS
619 Posts
best way to be sure is to check the battery - if your near a walmart or autozone something grab a meter and IIRC you have to have at least 13.6 resting to crank and spark the engine

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
741 Posts
Right, and although the battery is new, has the vehicle been sitting off a charge for a few months without being driven?
Also, change the leads to the terminal and see if any rust or oxydation has appeared. Clean that off to ensure a better connection to the battery. :)

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,155 Posts
There are two basic reasons why cars won't start if the starter itself is actually working: no gas, or no electricity to the plugs.

Since you have a Forester from before the "fuel filter in the tank" era, you could check the tubing into/out of the filter to see if gas is flowing. Just a very, very quick test as this could spray gas into the engine compartment if something goes wrong. A plugged fuel filter could be your culprit.

As for electricity, check for a spark coming out of the coil by holding one of the plug wires (with good insulation between you an it) up near the block while cranking. Easiest to do this after dark when visibility will be better.

·
Registered
2007 FXT Limited 5MT
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just so everyone knows I figured it out. My dad disabled the car because he thought my sister was going to try and sneak out in it. I'm not sure how he did it, but he did. Thanks anyway everyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts