Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jalopnik - Drive Free or Die

After selling 78,000 of the Tribeca, the weird looking three-row crossover, Subaru has announced that it will deliver its last Tribecas to dealers in February 2014. They also said they'll "return to the mid-size SUV segment with a three-row vehicle in the future." Hopefully it's better looking next time.

Hopefully the new 3-row that will come out down the road is excellent. I am assuming they will do away with the Tribeca name just because of the history of that model (terrible sales).

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank god. They're so damn ugly.
The first ones were ugly. After the refresh they were just too plain and boring.

If Subaru makes the new 3 row with a more fuel efficient setup, something like the powertrain from the 2014 XT or a turbo-diesel with a CVT, they would really be able to attract new buyers like they have with the 2014 Forester.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,683 Posts
Massachusetts plate SNE (Subaru of New England). This must be the successor to the stretched Forester, once owned by Ernie Boch, Jr., CEO of SNE, that has shown up here on occasion.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
3,004 Posts
Not to forget that the Tribeca's name, when first on sale was the "B9" Tribeca.....what a joke.

Naming a new vehicle "Benign" sounds like it's a tumor (the good type!).....and maybe that was an appropriate name given the God-awful Alfa pig snout that the poor thing was saddled with....

Already gone and forgotten..........

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
They're finally taking it out behind the shed to end its misery? It's about time... :lol:

They also said they'll "return to the mid-size SUV segment with a three-row vehicle in the future."
Bye-bye 'beca, hello Exiga? One could only wish...

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,431 Posts
Just saw this in the comments too... RIDICULOUS!

:icon_eek:
Ernie Boch of Subaru of New England fame has been known to build these one-off monstrosities. He used to have Forester XT stretch limo too.

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not to forget that the Tribeca's name, when first on sale was the "B9" Tribeca.....what a joke.

Naming a new vehicle "Benign" sounds like it's a tumor (the good type!).....and maybe that was an appropriate name given the God-awful Alfa pig snout that
I believe the B9 was in reference to the B9 Bomber. I think that "Alfa pig-snout" is supposed look like the nose of the airplane with the vents on each side representing the wings.

That is just my guess though, could just be an odd name... terrible either way though.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,119 Posts
Good riddance. TIme for a proper Subaru with 3rd row seating. Something from this millennium.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
3,004 Posts
I read that the "B9" prefix came about from internal designs (B1, B2 and on and on) being considered and "B9" had nothing to do with an obscure American bomber from the pre-WW2 era......doubt that Subaru would have ever heard of the B9. I'm an aviation buff and almost forgot about the bomber.....

The Alfa snout, as I read it, came from the then-new head of Subaru Design, himself coming from Design at Alfa.......the snout was inspired from the Alfa nose and adding the left/right wings was this designer's way of honoring the FHI aviation heritage.

Regardless, most automotive design fans considered the entire exercise a tortured mess, the B9 being the worst of the several cars that adopted the look.....said head of Design was summarily fired and now designs bidets.........

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Regardless, most automotive design fans considered the entire exercise a tortured mess, the B9 being the worst of the several cars that adopted the look.....said head of Design was summarily fired and now designs bidets.........
Hahahahaha

·
On Island Time
2014 Forester 2.5i Prem. 6MT
550 Posts
Both the stretch Forester XT and stretch Tribeca were EB Jr's at one point, and both of them ended up at Singer Subaru. They are all of about 5 minutes from my house. The Forester sold a long time ago- the Tribeca was there a very long time but I haven't seen it recently.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
366 Posts
The first ones were ugly. After the refresh they were just too plain and boring.

If Subaru makes the new 3 row with a more fuel efficient setup, something like the powertrain from the 2014 XT or a turbo-diesel with a CVT, they would really be able to attract new buyers like they have with the 2014 Forester.
Yes the first one was too ugly and the refresh looked like everyone else. I look at one in a dealer showroom when I got my 2014 FXT and it was a nice looking car, but looked too much like everyone else, boring.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,683 Posts
I was always puzzled by their description of it as an SUV. It looked more like a minivan to me.

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.0XT CVT
366 Posts
This grill style works better on a real Alfa Romeo.

This Alfa is being sold here in the USA as the new Jeep Cherokee.

·
Premium Member
2019 Forester Touring
3,004 Posts
This is a great example of Alfa styling cues that the now-Ex- Subaru Design Veep tried to adapt to the Subaru brand....and failed miserably.

How do you spell "EDSEL"?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts