Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5 X Auto
105 Posts
I own a '13 FB25 Forester. Just hoping mine is not part of the recall. If it is, I'm wondering if the engine would have to be pulled to replace a valve spring? Would they put a new head gasket on the head? Will they do a good job? Will the warranty be extended on the repair work? I have 78k miles on the car.

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,583 Posts
I own a '13 FB25 Forester. Just hoping mine is not part of the recall. If it is, I'm wondering if the engine would have to be pulled to replace a valve spring? Would they put a new head gasket on the head? Will they do a good job? Will the warranty be extended on the repair work? I have 78k miles on the car.
No disrespect, but is this not a silly question?

Like-will they do a god job? Repairs can go wrone..if they do they will be done again. And if they remove the head, will they replace the gasket? Of course.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT CVT
53 Posts
I read one article mentioned the work will take about 12 hours. So whatever that means. So far it looks like only MY12 and 13 correct? Hopefully it does not go beyond that.

·
Registered
2019 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6AT
541 Posts
Wait what?.....

Subaru says the Subaru Impreza compact car, XV small SUV (XV Crosstrek in global markets), Forester SUV and BRZ sports coupe are being recalled for a flaw in the design of the valve springs in the vehicle’s FB20 2.0-liter Boxer engine.
^ Is this just poor wording? Obviously there is no FB20 in the Forester...

Subaru Forester

Subaru Forester 2.0X models recalled were manufactured between 2005 through January 24, 2008 (4,739 units). Subaru Forester 2.0i models manufactured between September 30, 2008, through October 10, 2012 (14,242 units).
So it sounds like only Foresters manufactured from 2005 to Jan 24, 2008, and from Sept 30, 2008 to Oct 10, 2012 are affected.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
777 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Limited CVT
777 Posts
So it sounds like only Foresters manufactured from 2005 to Jan 24, 2008, and from Sept 30, 2008 to Oct 10, 2012 are affected.
The Newsweek article says that "Subaru’s Forester, Impreza and BRZ models are subject to the recall. All models affected by the recall were manufactured between January 2012 and September 2013." Later in the article it talks about airbags for older Scion vehicles, but the valve-spring recall is 2012-2013.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, Arizona USA 2018 Forester Limited
2,630 Posts
Wonder why the 2011 model year escapes the recall as you would think the same problem would have cropped up in the first year of the FB25 engine?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,029 Posts
Wonder why the 2011 model year escapes the recall as you would think the same problem would have cropped up in the first year of the FB25 engine?
That would certainly be a reasonable expectation if the springs had a design flaw.

On the other hand, if it was simply a manufacturing defect, then it would make sense to only apply to a subset of the total.

Perhaps Subaru used a different vendor for that period. It could be any of a dozen reasons...

In any case, it doesn’t seem to be as bad as some had feared. Bad enough, though...

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wait what?.....

^ Is this just poor wording? Obviously there is no FB20 in the Forester...

I think some markets had a Forester with just a 2.0L engine. Just not in North America.

·
Registered
2019 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6AT
541 Posts
That would certainly be a reasonable expectation if the springs had a design flaw.

On the other hand, if it was simply a manufacturing defect, then it would make sense to only apply to a subset of the total.

Perhaps Subaru used a different vendor for that period. It could be any of a dozen reasons...

In any case, it doesn’t seem to be as bad as some had feared. Bad enough, though...
Hats off to Subaru though for taking responsibility and agreeing to fix it. As far as recall issues go, this one seems pretty minor in terms of risk/safety, yet the cost to fix it would be high for Subaru.

This is what keeps me loyal to the brand.

·
Registered
2017 '08 2.5x / '17 2.5i 4EAT, CVT
181 Posts
Glad to hear it's not as widespread across Subaru models and years as it could have been.

Those potentially in the recall that are having head gasket issues could hold off on any repairs, if possible. This would be a win-win in that case.

·
Registered
2013 Forester 2.5 X Auto
105 Posts
No disrespect, but is this not a silly question?

Like-will they do a god job? Repairs can go wrone..if they do they will be done again. And if they remove the head, will they replace the gasket? Of course.
I didn't think a silly question or I wouldn't have asked it. Glad you think you are a lot smarter than me.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Touring
1,029 Posts
I have heard of techniques that allow for valve spring replacement without having to pull the head, but I’ve never done it personally...

There are several howto videos on YouTube describing the process...

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5 XPremium 4EAT
863 Posts
From what I can see, it seems that no USA Foresters would be affected as it's the 2.0 litre engine that is the subject of the recall. I.E Impreza & BRZ

All the reports I've read seem very confused - some saying 2008 models, some saying 2012 - 2013 models. I think some journalists have been rolling the dice a bit with their predictions and making it sound like news.......

I'd wait a few weeks and let the muddy water clear a bit. I bet you it turns out to be only cars in Japan and Europe affected. They've got me rolling the dice now!!

Edit /add - I'm assuming the 2.0 litre turbo is not affected - there's been no mention of it.

Reactions: HeyChris
1 - 20 of 35 Posts