Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found my coolant level a little low for the first time. Requires dealer only long life coolant for ~$30/ gal. Any less ridiculously expensive compatible alternatives?

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Found my coolant level a little low for the first time. Requires dealer only long life coolant for ~$30/ gal. Any less ridiculously expensive compatible alternatives?
Is yours the new blue super coolant? If so you have to use the same kind to top off, which is only avail at dealers. However, if you go into a dealer they may top it off for free (my dealer always topped up everything when I brought it in for an oilchange)

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is yours the new blue super coolant? If so you have to use the same kind to top off, which is only avail at dealers. However, if you go into a dealer they may top it off for free (my dealer always topped up everything when I brought it in for an oilchange)
I do all my own work, and prefer to keep essential fluids on hand. Looks like the pricey blue juice is the only way to avoid potentially shortened coolant life, corrosion, or other problems, unless the aftermarket comes out with something.

·
Registered
2009 Forester (MT)
226 Posts
If it's under the warranty, the dealer should add antifreeze free of charge. Well, they would charge Subaru :)

In my view, the anti-freeze should not disappear unless there is a mechanical problem in the motor, or a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
03X MT
847 Posts
Where are you seeing this low level? radiator, expansion bottle?

I wouldn't worry about it unless it is a substantial change from full.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where are you seeing this low level? radiator, expansion bottle?

I wouldn't worry about it unless it is a substantial change from full.
Coolant level is checked at the overflow bottle. It has been at normal level every time I have checked it since new until now- I have about 17k.

If it's under the warranty, the dealer should add antifreeze free of charge. Well, they would charge Subaru :)

In my view, the anti-freeze should not disappear unless there is a mechanical problem in the motor, or a leak somewhere.
Water is one of the main ingredients in coolant- ~50%, so it will evaporate gradually over time. I live near sea level, but recently made a couple trips up to 9K feet in the mountains, so that may have had something to do with it. Not sure dealer would cover it under warranty unless there is an actual leak. It would be under routine maintenance like an oil change.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,306 Posts
My coolant level was a bit low at this last service as well (42,000 km) and in addition was only good to -20C. So the mechanic drained a bit, and topped up the rad. This will get me by till I can get to the dealer to find out why the level dropped, and I will at that time get the system flushed and re-filled with the proper stuff. I just hope I can get it done before my trip to Northern Alberta next month!

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X
1,698 Posts
My coolant level was a bit low at this last service as well (42,000 km) and in addition was only good to -20C. So the mechanic drained a bit, and topped up the rad. This will get me by till I can get to the dealer to find out why the level dropped, and I will at that time get the system flushed and re-filled with the proper stuff. I just hope I can get it done before my trip to Northern Alberta next month!
Topped up with what? What about the conditioner?

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
hahaha

-20C isn't good enough for anywhere in Alberta. Best be getting that looked at before starting the trip.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,306 Posts
hahaha

-20C isn't good enough for anywhere in Alberta. Best be getting that looked at before starting the trip.
Its usually not good enough for around here at times either!

Topped up with what? What about the conditioner?
I did not see specifically what he put in but it was the same weird colour and he said it was compatible. it was only a liter or so, I hope that not having the conditioner in that small amount won't be a big deal for the week or 2 it will be in there.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,306 Posts
Mine is booked for the dealer (Zimmer) for Monday morning. They want to pressure test the system and then drain, flush and put in new coolant with the conditioner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts