Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter lives in Lewisburg-WV and right now they are getting snow-killed. She has an 08 NA Forester. My daughter Left work at 3:00 and picked up her 10 year old son and 1 y.o baby. Normally its maybe 40 minutes to go through town on Friday Night with bumper to bumper traffic.

Well 5 hours later she made it home. Cars were wrecking left and right. Finally she made it on an the other side of town and the last 2 mile stretch of 3 lane highway was 'closed'. The fire police police said it would be best to park on the side of the road and spend the night. When they saw she had an infant they said it was not safe but they would not stop her.

Bottom line she made it and when she called me she said. "Dad, I didn't even slip one time." Both me and her husband were worried sick bc her cell phone ran out. It was a terrible night but. Subaru ftw.

Needless to say I am doing an "Old Fashioned" (Double) right now. :Banane17: And I rarely rarely drink anything.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x
706 Posts
Kudos to your daughter for piloting 2 kids thru that mess for five hours. SHE might need an old fashioned once everyone is tucked in! And God bless the little ones sticking out a five hour car ride in a blizzard...wow.
Steve
09 2.5X AT

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,878 Posts
Kudos to your daughter for piloting 2 kids thru that mess for five hours. SHE might need an old fashioned once everyone is tucked in! And God bless the little ones sticking out a five hour car ride in a blizzard...wow.
Steve
09 2.5X AT
Ditto.... I know the feeling of waiting for overdue travellers in bad weather. Glad everyones safe.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Yea, who would think you need provisions in the car for 6 miles. You just never know. I'm sure that a lot of other folks in that town wished they had a Subie.

I'm spent.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport CVT
279 Posts
Thank God for your daughter's and grandkids' safety. This is PRECISELY why I want a Forester with good tires for my wife.

·
Registered
2017 Foz 2.5i CVT
1,776 Posts
Wonderful news that everyone is OK. We've got cell phone chargers in each car and that's the only thing that I'd suggest might have been done a bit differently.

If it was me, I probably would have needed at least one of the 1 year old's diapers for myself :)

Subarus rule!

George

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'll add to the thoughts of happiness that all are well, and finish the double and get an extra cell charger for next time....

Everyone calls you paranoid, untill something happens. Then you are prepared........

Tony

·
Registered
2005 FXT 5 spd
248 Posts
My daughter lives in Lewisburg-WV and right now they are getting snow-killed. She has an 08 NA Forester. My daughter Left work at 3:00 and picked up her 10 year old son and 1 y.o baby. Normally its maybe 40 minutes to go through town on Friday Night with bumper to bumper traffic.

Well 5 hours later she made it home. Cars were wrecking left and right. Finally she made it on an the other side of town and the last 2 mile stretch of 3 lane highway was 'closed'. The fire police police said it would be best to park on the side of the road and spend the night. When they saw she had an infant they said it was not safe but they would not stop her.

Bottom line she made it and when she called me she said. "Dad, I didn't even slip one time." Both me and her husband were worried sick bc her cell phone ran out. It was a terrible night but. Subaru ftw.

Needless to say I am doing an "Old Fashioned" (Double) right now. :Banane17: And I rarely rarely drink anything.
Always nice when these stories have a good ending!! I think that emphasizes how proper driving allows you to make it through this type of stuff when most folks just can't (or don't know how to) adjust. Enjoy your double!

·
Registered
2016 Outback and WRX CVT
2,589 Posts
Wow! Nice!

Indeed, kudos to your daughter for her driving skills! :smile:

And definitely, hindsight is 20/20, in cases like these - time to get her both a 12V accessory-plug driven charger, as well as an emergency-use battery-based charger (remember to check/replace those batteries, though!).

Despite being nearly exclusively suburban/urban commuters, our vehicles are burdened with an abundance of emergency supplies.... If nothing else, it just makes me sleep better. :smile:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Good to hear they made it through. Along with the phone charger, keeping a winter sleeping bag in the car is a good idea too. If you do get stranded, the bag can be a life saver.
My little brothers always have their blankets in our family SUV during the winter. :) And then we put some more blankets in there just in case.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
481 Posts
Your daughter and the Sube both did great under extreme circumstances

I'd join you with that double but I'm on call. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2007 Forester
185 Posts
Be a 'Scout'

Great story and replies. I'm really enjoying how it is up north in this ungodly blizzard. I grew up in NY and know what it's like but haven't experienced such weather since the 1960's. We had 3' of snow a couple of years in a row back then! A VW Beetle was pretty impressive!
Although I live in Florida I keep emergency supplies 'just in case'. Water, crackers, beef jerky, 12Vdc jumper, shovel. Even an ice scraper! Flashlights, LED flashing hazard light, spotlight. Flat tire plug, emergency medical stuff (band-aids, pain killers, etc), multi-kinife, maps, GPS, manual compass.
And a foil emergency 'blanket' and a fleece sleeping bag. I have an extra phone battery but need a charger. Also will buy a tire inflator soon, but I have one of those 'fix a flat' inflation bombs. A few tools including Vise-Grips, bungees, heavy rope for towing. Windbreaker, extra jacket, even a small pillow. A couple of small candles and some matches.
Most of it fits under the rear cargo cover or in the spare tire area. The rest fits in a small box bungeed down in the back. I also have a weather radio and a tiny AM/FM radio and extra AA and AAA batteries. All kinds of stuff 'just in case'.

It doesn't hurt to have some of these things no matter where you live. Especially if you go off road and in isolated areas. One cannot predict what wierd situation may occur.

A come-along could be handy, too. Also, a small bottle of spare medications (blood-pressure meds, etc.) and a walkie-talkie. All this stuff doesn't take up much room.

Hope I'm not hi-jacking this thread! :biggrin: Couldn't help myself thinking of what I would do in a worst case situation.

An inflatable infant would be useful!

Be safe, everyone! Get home and hunker down by the fireplace and drink some hot cocoa. (I'll add that to my supplies, and a sterno and.....)

Rick

·
Registered
177 Posts
Great story and replies. I'm really enjoying how it is up north in this ungodly blizzard. I grew up in NY and know what it's like but haven't experienced such weather since the 1960's. We had 3' of snow a couple of years in a row back then! A VW Beetle was pretty impressive!
Although I live in Florida I keep emergency supplies 'just in case'. Water, crackers, beef jerky, 12Vdc jumper, shovel. Even an ice scraper! Flashlights, LED flashing hazard light, spotlight. Flat tire plug, emergency medical stuff (band-aids, pain killers, etc), multi-kinife, maps, GPS, manual compass.
And a foil emergency 'blanket' and a fleece sleeping bag. I have an extra phone battery but need a charger. Also will buy a tire inflator soon, but I have one of those 'fix a flat' inflation bombs. A few tools including Vise-Grips, bungees, heavy rope for towing. Windbreaker, extra jacket, even a small pillow. A couple of small candles and some matches.
Most of it fits under the rear cargo cover or in the spare tire area. The rest fits in a small box bungeed down in the back. I also have a weather radio and a tiny AM/FM radio and extra AA and AAA batteries. All kinds of stuff 'just in case'.

It doesn't hurt to have some of these things no matter where you live. Especially if you go off road and in isolated areas. One cannot predict what wierd situation may occur.

A come-along could be handy, too. Also, a small bottle of spare medications (blood-pressure meds, etc.) and a walkie-talkie. All this stuff doesn't take up much room.

Hope I'm not hi-jacking this thread! :biggrin: Couldn't help myself thinking of what I would do in a worst case situation.

An inflatable infant would be useful!

Be safe, everyone! Get home and hunker down by the fireplace and drink some hot cocoa. (I'll add that to my supplies, and a sterno and.....)

Rick
Luck favors those who prepare. :icon_wink:

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5XL AT
171 Posts
adc - Happy to hear your daughter and grandchildren made it home safe.
This is a hell of a storm here in New Jersey, I can only imagine what it must be doing to the Mountain State.
Lewisburg WV? Site of the state fair if I remember correctly.
Been through there once or twice years ago. An old friend owns property in Alderson.
Best to you and yours. Seems to me you already got your Christmas wish.
Regards,
Red

1 - 20 of 25 Posts