Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
40,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found one of these on eBay for a good price, so I figured it would be a good addition to Forester. It was delivered today & my son was looking thru the supplies. He says, dad, the water is frozen! I said, no way, but sure enough, the water in the 3 packets were 50% frozen! This is very odd, since it hasn't been below freezing around here. My guess is that the exposure to freezing temperatures must have happen at the source in Grand Rapids, MI, or some place in route to Oregon.

This brings up another question. Will the water packets survive freezing solid without rupturing the plastic bags? You know if your vehicle is outside, it's going to exposed to freezing temperatures. I'm putting the water packets in another ziploc bag!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
They look flexible, shouldn't be an issue unless they are in solid containers like glass or VERY hard plastic.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,241 Posts
When water freezes, it increases in volume ~9%

So look at the package and see if there is ~10% unfilled volume. If so, then it won't burst. If not, then I'd probably consider keeping that water in another container.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I've had them in my car for 6 years now, outside in single digit temps for multiple days and they never split. Never really thought to check. I carry the kit around now mostly for the shovel. Dealership threw it in free when we bought the car.

Just a note, the water has an expiration date iirc, I'd double check that as well.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,070 Posts
I work with flexible packages and you will be fine. I double checked with my wife (her company makes flexible packaging) she's a packaging engineer, they will just expand. They do burst testing on packages like that and you'd be surprised how much they expand. But they don't fill them nearly to capacity.

As for them being frozen, we worry about our products getting frozen during shipping (cans of food) and I've put temp data loggers in with our shipments to find out what temps they see along the way. (did it yesterday in fact) Ground transport in a semi, unless it's shipped in a temp controlled box, will basically see the same temps as outside. If you are on a plane in the hold it's super cold up there :)

·
Administrator
40,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,039 Posts
Nice easy kit.

I have all those items and then some shoved in my wheel well in case I need it. I like the flashlights that DO NOT need batteries. No fear of dead batteries when you need it. I also have a pack saw in case i need to make a fire. I also have a a roll of TP in a zip lock bag. try living for a few hours without TP.

·
Administrator
40,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Administrator
40,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
@2.5x_sleeper I like it but it is in a different class. Just think, both Bear and the camera man need to be very fit to keep up with each other.

On the other hand in Survivor Man, he basically does everything twice because of camera placement! Crazy hardcore stuff...

·
Administrator
40,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update!

I sent the message below to Mayday Industries, the company that manufactured the water packets in my kit. The water packets in your kit may be from another company.
I just purchased a Subaru Severe Weather Companion, SOA868V9500, which came with 3, 4.225 oz (125ml) water packets. To my surprise, the packets were 75% frozen! I suspect this happened during shipping, since it hasn't been freezing here locally. My question: Can your water packets withstand being frozen solid & not not burst the packet?
Here's the answer I received.
Hello,
The packets can withstand being frozen without bursting the packet.
Thank you,
Mayra
Nice to know, but I still enclosed the 3 water packets in a heavy duty freezer ziploc bag.

Bobby...

·
Administrator
40,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
► Update - 11 years later...

We needed to move the emergency road kit out of the my son's Forester to do some hauling & we found this when we looked in the tote!

On the positive side, everything else was in perfect condition & the batteries were not placed in the flashlight! The stain on the case bottom cleaned up nicely.

Bobby...
1620701814727.jpeg 1620701916837.jpeg 1620702008035.jpeg
Of course there was this card stuffed in the kit! :D
1620702067542.jpeg

Reactions: Kevin

·
Administrator
40,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@broadbean everything else looked fine, other than the water packets. They have a 5 year storage life & expired in 2013... 8 years ago! :LOL:

I have another flashlight stored in the cargo area that I inspect yearly, when I check the air in the spare tire.

Bobby...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts