Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
vtforester said:
Ok - I admit stupidity or should I say ignorance on why it would be wrong.
I'm no saint, but you honestly don't see anything unethical about it???

The survey is for us, the consumer, to fill out and report anything we feel done to our satisfactory or improperly by the dealerships. For them to come at you with $30/a tank of gas as a bribe and fill the form out for themselves is shady. Think about it, they're *pretending to be you*, filling out the form in order to give themselve high grades otherwise might not have earned...

It would be like sending your brother/sister in to take a test for you because you fear that you might not score well. To say "Why not? It's not like the principal is going to send henchmen after me, sooo...." doesn't make it right, IMO.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
SKSTI said:

The survey is for us, the consumer, to fill out and report anything we feel done to our satisfactory or improperly by the dealerships. For them to come at you with $30/a tank of gas as a bribe and fill the form out for themselves is shady. Think about it, they're *pretending to be you*, filling out the form in order to give themselve high grades otherwise might not have earned...

It would be like sending your brother/sister in to take a test for you because you fear that you might not score well. To say "Why not? It's not like the principal is going to send henchmen after me, sooo...." doesn't make it right, IMO.
See two posts above yours where the Edison effect occurred

:)

·
Mr. September 2008
2007 Legacy Automatic
583 Posts
SKSTI said:
I find it unethical when they pressure you to give a glowing review, or else they don't get their bonus. Sorry, not my problem, was I supposed to feel bad? Do your job and you should have no problems getting a bonus IMHO.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Roo said:
See two posts above yours where the Edison effect occurred

:)
I was typing my reply when the bulb lit. :D

By the time I hit post, it was too late. The other folks beat me too it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
FXTIam said:
Peaty: I have heard that attributed to Winston Churchill.

It should be noted that the surveys go from 1-5 or 1-10 (I forget), but only the top two answers count. That is a 4/5 is one passable, 1-3 is a failing grade, according to SOA. The dealer, I believe, gets rewarded for higher customer service scores. My dealer flat told me this, and asked if they needed to do anything to ensure that score - they were not offering bribes, just saying has the buying experience been good enough to get a top grade. It had been - I gave them a perfect score.
That was my experience. Frankly if I'm SOA or the dealer I want the feedback good and bad. SoA wants it to see how their network is treating customers, the dealer wants it to gain a good reputation with SoA and find ways to improve their service. Like Peaty my dealer includes a free tank regardless of the survey.

My advice, take the fuel, fill out the survey and tell them everthing was fine, but you didn't like being "bribed" to say that.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT
35 Posts
I seem to recall one of the questions on mine was "did your dealer pressure you to answer the questions on the survey..."

I'd take the fuel & answer the survey honestly, including that one :)

·
6/22/76 - 12/21/14 , Gone but not forgotten
742 Posts
Well, if they did treat you well and you have no problems to report, I don't se why you wouldn't fill out the survey for 30 bucks. Since you also stated you don't care, I can't find a problem with filling out a survey.

However, if I had something negative to report, I think it'd take a lot more than 30 dollars to get me to 'change' my opinion. And even then, I might not do so because it's not going to help someone in the future. I don't like being bribed, period.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,449 Posts
sleepy said:
Well, if they did treat you well and you have no problems to report, I don't se why you wouldn't fill out the survey for 30 bucks. Since you also stated you don't care, I can't find a problem with filling out a survey.

However, if I had something negative to report, I think it'd take a lot more than 30 dollars to get me to 'change' my opinion. And even then, I might not do so because it's not going to help someone in the future. I don't like being bribed, period.
Read the first post again... they didn't offer him the tank of gas for filling out the survey, but to let the dealership fill it out for him.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
keyser soze said:
By being honest, filling out the survey and reporting any failures on the dealers/salesperson or vehicles part, Subaru can change for the better. If you give them the survey, they will praise themselves no matter how they treated you. Why are they trying to buy a good survey, what are they hiding? Their service and actions should speak for themselves. Just my .02$
Do you think SOA will use negitive info to improve or to punish? Seems the whole survey orientation is punitive not rehabilitory.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
When we bought our 05 X last summer they included a full tank of gas and told up that if we filled out the survey we would recieve a free tank of gas when we turned it in.

A week after buying the car the survey arrived, we filled it out, returned it and got a free tank of gas. A good deal for 5 minutes of your time.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
higgledy said:
Do you think SOA will use negitive info to improve or to punish? Seems the whole survey orientation is punitive not rehabilitory.
I believe they use negative information to punish people in the belief it will improve the end product. I think salespeople are stuck between what SOA is saying and what the dealership is pushing. Is it effective? Completely depends on the employee. I would hope they use a more comprehensive approach, chart several aspects and use the information to make sound decisions. Problem is a lot of dealerships are privately owned. SOA will withhold bonus money or something of value if the dealer does not produce, but SOA just provides the vehicles, parts, advertising and the like. It is the Dealership who is pushing salespeople to sell NO MATTER WHAT! SOA will provide some training but the successful dealerships have good leadership. It really is up to the owner or manager to teach, train and mentor individuals to succeed. Most don't. You have X number of days to reach a certain level, and hold a certain level or you will be let go. They are there to make money.

If a dealer is shady, SOA should know about it. If they refuse to act proportionally, in the end, SOA will suffer.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
The finance person at the dealership I bought from told me, aside from the bonus situation, if they score poorly on the surveys, Subaru will not hook them up when time comes to stock new vehicles. They will still get cars, but loose privileges on hot items (STi's for example). No car in inventory means no testdrives, which is not good. No testdrive = less chance of a sale.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Two thoughts: (a) there is something called "integrity" that's worth having, and much more valuable than $30; and (b) I wouldn't buy a used car from you--I wouldn't be able to trust what you say about it.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
From Subaru's website:

New or used, buying or leasing, parts or service, a Stellar Performer Certified Dealership sets a new standard in Customer Service. The goal is an exceptional dealer experience with every visit and a customer who is satisfied with the service provided.

Dealerships must adhere to a rigorous review of their operations by an impartial third party and fulfill our established standards to qualify for this distinction. This process ensures that the dealers achieve high measurable results in the eyes of their customers.

When you visit a Stellar Performer Certified dealership, you can be assured you'll receive the best customer care possible!
Your survey is part of this review process. Getting certified as a "Stellar Performer" is a sales tool, allowing them to charge a slightly higher price as many folks will pay a premium when buying products from a "certified" source.

Note that it's similar to buying something on Ebay - 16 vendors all have the same product for sale, and all within a buck or two of each other in price. The guy with 99.8% positive feedback can charge a little more because he knows that customers are more than happy to fork over a little extra over the price that the 92% guy offers, in to be certain that the transaction will go as smoothly as possible.

What the dealer is doing is akin to manipulating the Ebay feedback score in order to gain more sales at a higher price.

By taking the "deal", you'd potentially be raising the price of purchase for everyone else. The effect sounds minimal until we consider that every customer to whom that dealer sells a car is getting the same offer, and you can bet that many of them are jumping at the chance.

Do the right thing for your fellow Subaru drivers. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
pleiad7 said:
Read the first post again... they didn't offer him the tank of gas for filling out the survey, but to let the dealership fill it out for him.
Need to read more carefully myself. Keep the $30.00. Fill out the survey yourself and make their methods very clear. That is completely unethical and plain wrong.

G

·
Subaru is not the only car manufacturer that uses this survey. Mercedes and Porsche also use it. It is true that if the response is anything, other than, "excellent", there is a negative result. While I was employed by a large German company, (not in the car business), they too, used these surveys with our service techs. The German's just do not understand the concept of good, better and best". However well intentioned they appear, in the end it is just another way to hassle or screw your employees.
Knowing this, I always take the survey and give them excellent across the board. ( unless someone really pissed me off, then all bets are off)

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio
313 Posts
When I bought my previous car (Audi) I received the survey form directly by mail from Audi with no chance for the dealer to intervene. The survey was quite detailed (app. 100 questions) but - alas - no incentive to return the survey form was offered!

I fully agree with Dan's argumentation and suggest you keep your own integrity (presumeably it's worth much more than $30?).

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well, I just filled out the survey on my own. So no free gas for me.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts