Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
Joined
·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer offered me a free tank of gas if I let them fill out the Subaru post-sales survey. What should I do? I know what to do ethically but $30 bucks is $30 bucks.

I don't have anything negitive about the car nor the dealer so I don't really care either way.
 

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
They should be providing you a free tank of gas for YOUR HAVING FILLED OUT THE SURVEY.
Your ethics are what you make out of them. Take money or gas and you've established that you're a whore...your only option then is to haggle over the price.
Quick's reply...
 

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
Joined
·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quicksilver said:
They should be providing you a free tank of gas for YOUR HAVING FILLED OUT THE SURVEY.
Your ethics are what you make out of them. Take money or gas and you've established that you're a whore...your only option then is to haggle over the price.
Quick's reply...
I already bought the car. The dealer only made this offer during that telephone conversation a few days post-sale. If I were 20 years old and optimistic I'd never take this offer. Now that I am pushing 40 and know the world is not fair, I might be a whore.
 

·
scarred from battle
Joined
·
730 Posts
I'd report it to subaru of america. (but then i'm only 24)

look at it this way... if the dealer does this often enough, they can really screw over future customers.

Maybe you should do both: report it, AND let them fill it out so you get the gas.

Oh - and get the offer in writing. :)
 

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
Joined
·
8,063 Posts
higgledy said:
My dealer offered me a free tank of gas if I let them fill out the Subaru post-sales survey. What should I do? I know what to do ethically but $30 bucks is $30 bucks.

I don't have anything negitive about the car nor the dealer so I don't really care either way.
My dealer sells cars and includes a full tank of gas. As far as the sales survey, they always say if there is any reason you won't put the highest rating on any of the sections please let us know so we can make it right...
 

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
Joined
·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Peaty said:
My dealer sells cars and includes a full tank of gas. As far as the sales survey, they always say if there is any reason you won't put the highest rating on any of the sections please let us know so we can make it right...
I got a full tank when it was delivered too and have no problem checking excellent for each question.

BTW, U have nothing against 20 year olds. In fact, I wish I were one. :(
 
G

·
Sounds like a topic for a poll. I'd take the gas, and report it to SOA, AND make sure that all us at SF.org know who the dealer is for future reference.
 

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
Joined
·
835 Posts
I know getting good ratings means a lot to the dealers, but that is just plain unethical. And shows me they are not a good dealer - they are trying to scam SOA! Now, as Peaty said, every dealer should offer to make sure you want to fill it out right and should offer to try and make you happy if you are not.

My vote is an emphatic NO!! And call SOA!
 

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
Joined
·
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FXTIam said:
I know getting good ratings means a lot to the dealers, but that is just plain unethical. And shows me they are not a good dealer - they are trying to scam SOA! Now, as Peaty said, every dealer should offer to make sure you want to fill it out right and should offer to try and make you happy if you are not.

My vote is an emphatic NO!! And call SOA!
I agree. But I have purchased other new cars (Acura, Honda) who were even more agressive with trying to get a shot at my survey. The difference is Acura nor Honda would pay me with a tank of gas at least the Sub dealer is making it worth my time. Besides aren't they doing just what Peaty thinks is fair, just paying for my time?
 

·
Registered
2006 Forester
Joined
·
174 Posts
Hell no and I'd be calling Subaru. That just ticks me off. Dude, it's just 30 bucks- it ain't that much. Now if they were offering you $100 plus...:p
 

·
formerly known as Benrock05201
2012 GMC 2500 HD Automatic
Joined
·
2,225 Posts
I'd take the gas and not worry about it. They say that everyone has a price and 2 minutes of my time is worth $30 in gas. Just my $0.02 though.

Ben
 

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
Joined
·
8,063 Posts
higgledy said:
Besides aren't they doing just what Peaty thinks is fair, just paying for my time?
I never said that was fair, I think you should fill it out the way you want. and you should get the gas no matter what. I don't like the idea of the fox guarding the hen house.

Reminds me of a joke though.

A guy comes up to a pretty lady at a bar. He says "will you go to bed with me if I give you a million dollars?" She thinks about it to herself. Well he's a good looking guy and a million dollars is a lot of money. I could do a lot w/ a million.

"Sure" she says. He replies, "how about for $20?" Then she gets all indignant and says, "20 bucks! What kind of woman do you think I am!?"

To which he replies" We've already established that, now we are just haggling over price."
 

·
Premium Member
2006 XT
Joined
·
53 Posts
That does sound kinda shady. When we bought our XT, the business manager made it clear that anything less than "excellent" on the survey was considered a failure, and that we should bring it to their attention if we had any reason to be less than really happy (which we don't).

BTW, my first Subaru since a couple of '70's models (which were great, tough cars). What a difference! But still familiar...
 

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
Joined
·
835 Posts
Peaty: I have heard that attributed to Winston Churchill.

It should be noted that the surveys go from 1-5 or 1-10 (I forget), but only the top two answers count. That is a 4/5 is one passable, 1-3 is a failing grade, according to SOA. The dealer, I believe, gets rewarded for higher customer service scores. My dealer flat told me this, and asked if they needed to do anything to ensure that score - they were not offering bribes, just saying has the buying experience been good enough to get a top grade. It had been - I gave them a perfect score.
 

·
Mr. September 2008
2007 Legacy Automatic
Joined
·
583 Posts
Our06FXT said:
That does sound kinda shady. When we bought our XT, the business manager made it clear that anything less than "excellent" on the survey was considered a failure...
I was told this too, and they said that if I didn't put excellent, that my sales rep wouldn't get her bonus. No pressure huh? Left a BAD taste in my mouth. I didn't fill it out. F'um for pulling that shizzle.

That's Mike Shaw Subaru in Northglenn Colorado folks. Tell um Oddnoggins sent ya. Wait, that doesn't make any sense, don't go there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
I would fill out the survey, include this little nugget of info AND call SOA. Not cool or ethical at all.
 
G

·
Ok - I admit stupidity or should I say ignorance on why it would be wrong. Taking the 'whore' as an example, isn't this like telling a whore that they will give her 100$ and a key. The key goes to a room where they will be waiting. There is nothing to keep her from just taking the whole thing and doing what she wants to do...eg: go buy a big pizza, some beer and watch a movie at her home with her cat.

It not like the John is gonna send henchmen after her. SOOOOO... what is the problem? They are taking the risk as far as I can see, but I am probably missing some key bit of information. Please be kind in your response!

*hides in her Forester.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,113 Posts
vtforester said:
Ok - I admit stupidity or should I say ignorance on why it would be wrong. Taking the 'whore' as an example, isn't this like telling a whore that they will give her 100$ and a key. The key goes to a room where they will be waiting. There is nothing to keep her from just taking the whole thing and doing what she wants to do...eg: go buy a big pizza, some beer and watch a movie at her home with her cat.

It not like the John is gonna send henchmen after her. SOOOOO... what is the problem? They are taking the risk as far as I can see, but I am probably missing some key bit of information. Please be kind in your response!

*hides in her Forester.
By being honest, filling out the survey and reporting any failures on the dealers/salesperson or vehicles part, Subaru can change for the better. If you give them the survey, they will praise themselves no matter how they treated you. Why are they trying to buy a good survey, what are they hiding? Their service and actions should speak for themselves. Just my .02$
 
G

·
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Lights just went on ---

My innocent eyes didn't even take in the information that THEY were trying trying to BUY the survey with the tank of gas!!! I thought they were going to give a tank of gas just to fill it out! Holy cow that's just wrong!

:shock:
 

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
Joined
·
29,449 Posts
What I don't like about the Subaru surveys is that they are not anonymous. Evidently SOA returns the surveys with your name attached to the dealerships to which they pertain. I heard a story not too long ago about someone who gave his dealership a less than glowing review, and it came back to bite him in the arse when he took his Subie in for service/warranty work.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top