Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...it's hard to get one--at least an Outback.

You may have read that Subie sales were up 38% for February (e.g., The Associated Press: Large wagons lift GM, Subaru February sales in US).

How does that affect one (large) SoCal Subie dealer? A salesman at my Subaru store told me Outbacks are selling so well they can't keep them in stock. Get one from another dealer? Forget it. He said basically all Outback sales now are special orders. The 6-cylinder cars are particularly in demand. "Subaru was blindsided by the popularity of the Outback."

Anyone else see or hear similar in their region?

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,827 Posts
Yes, the same applies here. I went in a couple of weeks ago to the local dealer to pick up some crush washers, I think it was on a Thursday. I believe there were maybe 10-12 Outbacks freshly unloaded.

When I went in to get the parts, we got talking about the Outbacks, they said they were getting the prep people from the Honda dealership next door to help get the cars ready for pickup. Drove by the dealership on the Sunday to have a look around and there was only one Outback in the shoowroom.

They still had plenty of new Foresters, Imprezas and Legacy's on the lot. Can you imagine if the Legacy wagon was still available in North America as they are in some European markets. I think they would be moving well too.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,015 Posts
Hmmm, they had a whole pile of them sitting on the lot when I stopped in at the dealership the other day.
I agree about the H6's being surprisingly popular though... they don't make a lot of them, but they're selling as fast as the dealerships can get them.

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,413 Posts
Funny how the Legacy doesn't come in the wagon trim, but that the Outback is selling like crazy. Outback= H6 for sure. Thing is huge and the 2.5 wouldn't just hack it. Besides the 2.5 is a POS!!!

I wonder if SOA will re-introduce the Legacy Wagon!!!!

Now Imagine the H6 6 speed in a Forester!!!!:rock::icon_cool:

·
Registered
2005 Impreza RS Wagon Auto
3,658 Posts
Funny how the Legacy doesn't come in the wagon trim, but that the Outback is selling like crazy. Outback= H6 for sure. Thing is huge and the 2.5 wouldn't just hack it. Besides the 2.5 is a POS!!!

I wonder if SOA will re-introduce the Legacy Wagon!!!!

That would be freaking amazing.

·
Registered
2018 ForesterXT Touring..
2,740 Posts
I'm a member of subaruoutback.org(traded in my 2001 Outback). There is a thread on there that members who bought 2010 Outbacks are complaining about highway speed steering wheel shake. SOA are trying to come up with a fix for it, but haven't yet. I'm glad that the dealer didn't have any Outbacks on the lot when I was shopping for a replacement. I wouldn't have bought one because it has gotten too big for my liking:icon_frown:.

·
Registered
2001 Forester S, auto
444 Posts
We usually have 1 Outback 3.6R in stock at any given time, we've been very lucky. They freakin' sell like crazy. I **** you not, almost half my Outback sales have been 6 cylinder cars, that's insane. We had to beg people to buy the old Outback 3.0R's, I don't know why the sudden popularity.

I thiiiiink it's because I'm seeing a lot of people coming out of more expensive cars and they're accustomed to more power than the 2.5L has, but I'm not sure.

But yeah Outbacks on the whole have been very much in demand. We are very lucky in that we have like 15 right now and about 15 more coming in the next allocation.

The shortage of cars, though, is mostly due to Subaru being idiots when it comes to production, not so much overwhelming demand. They need to get their **** together in more ways than one. Factory ordering a car at this point is a total mind****, I'm glad I typically can manage to avoid ordering cars for customers. My coworker ordered an Outback for a client in January, and didn't recieve ANY confirmation that they had even started BUILDING IT til last week. Yet other orders we did were built and delivered.

·
TANSTAAFL
2010 2.5X Premium AFF 4EAT
472 Posts
I do. That's at the top of my 'mods I'd like to do if I have a lot of extra time and money some day' list.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts