Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Premium Lineartronic® CVT
316 Posts
I was hesitant to purchase my MY19 in March, and was considering waiting until the fall for the MY20 release. This announcement is a bit of a relief. Words cannot describe how disappointed I would have been had they made a big change, released an XT, or even a palatable color.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring HT-CVT
576 Posts
Pretty typical of any 2nd year update...usually minor stuff. Subaru should've at least made all LED interior lights standard by now. But I'm guessing they're saving most of the good stuff for the 4th year refresh that will probably hit in 2022.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,929 Posts
Whew.........I have a 2019 Touring on order and can live w/o these 3 "upgrades". The hybrid would have been nice BUT we don't drive enough to merit waiting for the Hybrid when it finally does make it to the USA......Jasmine Green isn't really dark enough for me BUT, again, that new Green MIGHT be offered during the refresh in 2021.....

·
Registered
2014 2.5i Premium manual
50 Posts
My dreams of a non-turbo 2.4 Ascent engine with 230 hp for 2020 is not to be (since they said no turbo will be on the Forester). Rav 4 hybrid is looking better every day, but they are hard to get because they are selling so fast. I have enjoyed my 6 MT 2014 Forester (that doesn't burn oil), but I am ready for a new vehicle and a color change.

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,115 Posts
This is consistent -- no substantial change from first to second year of a new model -- with previous generations of the Forester. 2015 was the same way: A few tweaks to minor features, but no substantial changes. This has been the pattern with the Forester: a five-year cycle with minor changes for the first three, and something a bit more substantial but not transformational for the last two.

And you can generally see what's coming by looking at changes in the JDM Forester. It's June: If there was going to be an engine option for the US three months from now, we'd have seen it in Japan already.

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
2,912 Posts
Disappointed. Might be time to look at an Outback XT as a substitute for one of my XT's in a year.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
552 Posts
No XT, not interested. The red accents is for the birds. Minor upgrades, still the same small HP. Nope, I keep my 17, always garaged, always maintained, always clean. I wish Subaru would stop trying to convince me to trade up, there really is no up.

·
Registered
2019 Touring
223 Posts
I was hesitant to purchase my MY19 in March, and was considering waiting until the fall for the MY20 release. This announcement is a bit of a relief. Words cannot describe how disappointed I would have been had they made a big change, released an XT, or even a palatable color.
I was ready to buy the 2018, until I heard of the new dashboard and electronics simular to the Outback. I then waited for the 2019. Looks like he 2020 didn't really add anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
First Yr Model or 2020

So if folks held on to buy the first year model, does this mean the 19 and 20 Forester are exactly the same (except the 3 changes)?

My family mentioned that first year models tend to have issues and wait to get the 2nd yr model.

·
Registered
14 Forester XT cvt
138 Posts
I personally like dark gray over the new magnetic gray color that has migrated over the rest of the line up in the past year or two. I wouldn't look for a XT version until maybe next gen but I 'm interested if they bump the Impreza/Crosstrek HP up for it's 20 mid cycle refresh. The CT sales are down. Even with the new OB XT Forester sales could be at the top for Subaru

·
Registered
2015 Forester2.5i Premium CVT
1,115 Posts
So if folks held on to buy the first year model, does this mean the 19 and 20 Forester are exactly the same (except the 3 changes)?

My family mentioned that first year models tend to have issues and wait to get the 2nd yr model.
I agree with your family. Often there will be unannounced fixes and tweaks that can make the vehicle more stable and reliable in the second and subsequent years.

We waited until MY 2015 to buy ours, and it has proved to be utterly reliable and trouble-free. The 2014s were good, and I'm sure most owners were happy, and I'm grateful to them for helping Subaru work out the kinks in the design before we bought ours.

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,929 Posts
We got a 2015 Outback towards the end of its first year of build and it's proven to be perfectly reliable....except for the el cheap battery which SOA replaced when it started failing after overnight.

The only "update" that the 2016 OBs included was a larger LED clock display..........and trust me, nowhere large enough to be readable. The tiny, lower center stack-mounted digital clock display in the Gen 5 Outbacks is a joke, slightly larger digits or not.

The 2015 OB generation had some issues with wind noise BUT my car had none. There also was a reported issue with windshield fragility. Again, mine was fine for the 4 years that I owned it. Trading it for the 2019 Forrie Touring when it comes in.......

I think it's a coincidental thing, honestly. If you're lucky, all is good. If not, then you're not.

Steve

1 - 20 of 47 Posts