Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
30,099 Posts
@Norcalmark300 Adam and Noah at LIC can do all of that. They can source the parts for you, or you can bring your own. The only things they don't do in-house is tuning and alignments.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
@Norcalmark300 Adam and Noah at LIC can do all of that. They can source the parts for you, or you can bring your own. The only things they don't do in-house is tuning and alignments.

I contacted LIC, and they said they don’t work with user-supplied parts or official Subaru JDM parts. Noah also told me that installing a Subaru CVT cooler (the same one that is available in Japan and standard in Australia) would void my warranty.

That sounds like BS to me, since Subaru can’t really claim that an official Subaru part that was meant for this car was the cause of a CVT failure unless it was installed incorrectly or failed (like a CVT fluid leak from the cooler or extra hoses).

Does anyone know of a reasonable shop within driving distance of San Francisco that will install owner-supplied parts without giving me the run-around?

·
Registered
924 Posts
I contacted LIC, and they said they don’t work with user-supplied parts or official Subaru JDM parts. Noah also told me that installing a Subaru CVT cooler (the same one that is available in Japan and standard in Australia) would void my warranty.

That sounds like BS to me, since Subaru can’t really claim that an official Subaru part that was meant for this car was the cause of a CVT failure unless it was installed incorrectly or failed (like a CVT fluid leak from the cooler or extra hoses).

Does anyone know of a reasonable shop within driving distance of San Francisco that will install owner-supplied parts without giving me the run-around?
I called LIC awhile back and was not super impressed with the person I spoke to on the phone, which pretty much scratched them off my list. I know lots of people swear by them and whomever I spoke to may have been having a bad day but it left a sour taste in my mouth.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
I called LIC awhile back and was not super impressed with the person I spoke to on the phone, which pretty much scratched them off my list. I know lots of people swear by them and whomever I spoke to may have been having a bad day but it left a sour taste in my mouth.

I also contacted Mann Engineering in the South Bay, and had an opposite experience. They will install user-supplied parts, and have nothing against installing STI parts into a regular Forester. They did advise me that there is no way to tell ahead of time if a CVT cooler would interfere with a warranty claim, which is true. I might leave it alone since the warranty is so long now, but it’s nice to be treated like I know what I’m talking about.

Now that I know that Mann Engineering is willing to do installations of JDM Subaru STI suspension parts, they are top of my list for installing suspension bracing and new springs/struts.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts