Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,835 Posts
Interesting. Diplomatic choice of words.

Must have been written before the Sirius deal, as it cites XM.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
The chrome wheels in the special edition package are hideous and entirely unnecessary...

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,486 Posts
I agree with that sentiment. Since when have Subarus been about bling? The chrome mesh grille needs to go, too, unless the motor gets the STi treatment.

Like alot of vehicles, such as the RX-8, the Tribeca is one of those that looks much better in person. I think maybe many of those folks who truly hate the styling simply have only seen photos. At least it's not like the Aztec, which made Stevie Wonder wish he were blinder, and Lord knows GM sold enough of those hideous things...

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,456 Posts
Yeah, we saw a black one here in town last night, and I have to say, the ones that I've seen in person have been much easier on the eye than the pics I've seen.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,835 Posts
pleiad7 said:
Yeah, we saw a black one here in town last night, and I have to say, the ones that I've seen in person have been much easier on the eye than the pics I've seen.
Me too, but only "much easier on the eye" on a relative scale.

There's a horrible sexist saying that I would never say myself of course that "beauty is only skin deep but ugly goes all the way to the bone."

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
It has a nice personality :)

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,931 Posts
I've seen B9s in person and still groan when I see em......sorry but this vehicle is a foul ball, IMHO.The Chicago "update" is no better, just a different type of eye sore.

I have seen very few B9s on my commute on RT 78 and the NJ Turnpike which speaks volumes for how many have been sold. Ditto for SOA running lease deals on the Tribeca.

The Imprezza nose is far more acceptable, I think.

The problem, from day one, is that Subaru wanted something different and distinctive and they got it. However, attractive is not necessarily part of distinctive.

But...what the hey, we all have our opinions and they all count equally.

Steve

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
I like the Tribeca. It looks like a cross between the Cheyenne & X5. It's not a supermodel, but not some hideous monstrosity either. I test drove it and was impressed with the overall quality.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,052 Posts
It's funny how many Subaru people are not happy with the looks (myself included) but it's amazing how many comments we get from non Subie owners that see it and really like the way it looks. I've gotten use to the looks myself. To tell the truth I was no crazy about the way the Forester looked either when I got it, not compared to my GC8 RS anyway. After living with the B9 I have to say it fills our needs nicely.

As for the changes, I don't like chrome anything and that grill is hideous, looks like it has braces.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Peaty said:
It's funny how many Subaru people are not happy with the looks (myself included) but it's amazing how many comments we get from non Subie owners that see it and really like the way it looks.
That's also what I've noticed about the new Impreza facial when it first hit. Suby owners cry foul, while non Suby folks approved. Now its cool because the new look has grown on them. But like most - I do not like chrome on Subies.

·
Registered
39 Posts
New/old B9 is OK in person and quite good in some colors, I'd get one if it met all my other needs.

The chrome edition B9, that just smacks of desparation. It's a joke right?

JP (who thinks his SG Forester XT looks awesome...)

·
Casper reincarnated
2,245 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 OutBack Ltd
2,931 Posts
I would expect that the front clip will shortly be redesigned to more smoothly integrate the new corp. face, very much more like the Imprezza nose which I accepted and then grew to like from day one....

I also expect the 2008-9 B9 to look far less "distinctive" than it does now............I doubt that quirky design is the road that Fuji wants to go further on as they push to be more mainstream.

Steve

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
I like the new grill mesh but those chrome wheels are hideous like Silke pointed out...I love the inside...I do like the fact that they are fixing the suspension to firm up the ride. Of course I would like a different front face but that will not happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
toysbyus said:
I also expect the 2008-9 B9 to look far less "distinctive" than it does now............I doubt that quirky design is the road that Fuji wants to go further on as they push to be more mainstream.
I find it odd that they would want to do that. I've heard it too: "more mainstream" and "more upmarket" too. But is it just journalists making up stuff to fill space? The way I see it, Subaru succeeds by being "number 1 in a field of 1". Can they really go head to head with either the mass market makers or the premium brands? I don't see it. Long live the quirky niche, I reckon. If I were them I'd be glad to be a big fish in a small pond.

-- Steve

1 - 20 of 29 Posts