Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

subaru recalls for 01sf

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  taza 
#1 ·
i signed up with mysubaru , two weeks ago. and it said that these recalls were made for the following reasons. has anyone else expericenced this? and what happened after the recalls were finished?

Engine Cooling System Conditioner
Service Program Details
Program Number WWP99
Program Title Engine Cooling System Conditioner
Summary Subaru of America, Inc. has determined that, over time, your vehicle may develop small external coolant leaks at engine cylinder head gaskets. To prevent cylinder head gasket leaks from developing or to correct existing leaks, a special Subaru Cooling System Conditioner should be added to affected vehicle cooling systems. Official Owner Notification letters will be mailed to all affected customers starting in late February and continuing through May of 2004. Once you receive your letter in the mail, you should contact your Subaru dealer for an appointment to have the Subaru Cooling System Conditioner added at no cost to you. Your continued satisfaction with your Subaru is important to us. Please understand that we have taken this action in the interest of your vehicle's proper operation.

WWF89

Open

Service Campaign - ECM Reprogramming

Program Title Service Campaign - ECM Reprogramming
Summary Subaru of America, Inc. has determined that some affected vehicles may require reprogramming of the engine control module (ECM). The Engine Control Module software logic for the circuit that controls the front oxygen (air/fuel ratio) sensor in your vehicle may have been programmed incorrectly during production. As a result of this condition, the "CHECK ENGINE" light may illuminate without cause. It will be necessary to have the Engine Control Module software reprogrammed to correct this condition Please contact your Subaru dealer and schedule an appointment to have the Engine Control Module software checked and reprogrammed even if you have not experienced the condition described above. Your Subaru dealer will perform this repair at no cost to you. We regret any inconvenience this may cause you, but we have taken this action to assure your vehicle's proper performance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: service recall

I thought the cooling system conditioner/head gasket service recall was well known. If I remember correctly, the came out in '03 or '04...I bought my '02 brand new, and was made aware of this situation not more than 2 years later.

It's just a small amount of additive, (4.4 oz) that is added to the radiator. If you replace your coolant, you have to add it again, but it is very cheap to buy. My car has 73k miles, and I haven't had any coolant or head gasket problems, before or since the additive was used.

I'm not familier with the ECM recall, however, sorry.

#5 ·
Nothing to worry about, if you have had no head gasket issues, just remember if you do have the coolant system flushed, make sure you add the Subaru Coolant Conditioner again. It's a small bottle available at the dealerships (not sure the price).
Secondly if the software update has been done, if you get a Check Engine code now for the front sensor then it's probably just time for replacement due to age and corrosion. The problem that they found was the light would come on and they'd change the sensor, then the light would come on shortly after, even though the sensor was fine, it was the software reading an error even though there was no real problem.

#6 ·
I have a 05 Forester non turbo. No head gasket problem to my disbelief. I'm sure that will be next.
But the O2 sensor is something else. Had the first one replaced and the computer flashed under warranty at 19k miles. The second went at 37.8k miles. Only $400.00 out on my pocket.
Now this morning the CEL came on at 51k miles. Probably 450 to 500 this time. SO in my opinion "just time for replacement due to age and corrosion" is B.S.!
A friend at NAPA tells me that I need to find the cause of the sensor going out. I have questioned the dealer each time of the repair.They say that it is fuel or some other act of God. Subaru is the Act of God.
Talking at the dealer level is a waste of time.
CHILSON MOTORS in Eau Claire Wi has to be the worst dealer on record.

#11 ·
What a waste of money for the additive.

I just bought a 1990 L-Series wagon (Leone in the US) to drive while the foz is being repaired for a few months and it has/had a slight head gasket leak. Put some Chem-i-weld in the radiator(blocks cracks and leaks) and it's sorted out the issue. Cost $10 for the bottle!

#17 ·
No prob. Actually the car is in really really good condition. Hasn't been offroad much either in its 22years and only has 130,000miles (230,000km) on the clock which is really low. It has no tears or stains on the seats, completely stock, very few scratches but slight hail damage.
Just fixed it up and took it for its vehicle examination to get it licenced and it failed on due to needing new ball joints and some movement in the tie end rods. Should be sorted on the weekend though. But all in all it will be a good run about while the Foz is repiared and for under $1000 to get it 100% up and running its a bargin!!

BTW remember that parts and cars here in Aus are 2x as expensive as what you pay in the US too :icon_frown:

But in saying this if I had a head gasket issue in my main car (ie the foz) I would get it sorted properly not rely on a thickening chemical..

#19 ·
The import tax and shipping cost usually make it about the same price, sometimes more. Its only worth while if a whole container was shipped over then a huge saving is made. But I don't have a spare $50,000 for parts :icon_rolleyes:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.