Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium CVT
370 Posts
I read a few of the articles about this brake light switch recall and Subaru is saying that the use of silicone-based consumer products is contaminating the contacts in the switch. While I don't use any cleaning products in the cabin (other than plain water on the dash and door panels and Stoner invisible glass on the windows), I do treat my door seals with 3M silicone paste. I had the switch fail about a year ago and picked up a replacement at a Subaru dealer. The new switch had a green dot on it that wasn't on the original. This makes me think it was a newer/modified version of the original switch. I wonder if the problem is going to return again...

Perhaps I need to find something better to treat the door seals!

StanF

·
Registered
2014 Volt
23 Posts
I'm not certain this is what you want for your door seals, but I use Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 for all my window trim and black "vinyl". A person on a car detailing forum did a long term test of various treatments and found 845 lasted the longest by a long shot. A little goes a long way and does not leave any white residue. Just remember to place the plastic bottle into some hot water to warm it up before you try to shake it.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,607 Posts
Beyond the financial hit, brings up some recent wounds for the company (e.g., admitting to quality control issues/cutting corners)

·
Registered
2014 Forester Limited CVT
96 Posts
Affects the brake light, not the brakes ... details here https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/subaru-recall-crosstrek-impreza-forester-brake-lights/

"The issue stems from the brake light switch, a component behind the brake pedal that regulates the use of the brake lights on the vehicle's rear. Use of silicone-based consumer products, such as cleaning products or lubricants, near the brake pedal may cause that material to seep into the brake light switch housing. If that happens, it could deposit a layer of film on the switch that prevents the brake lights from turning on when the pedal is depressed."

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
258 Posts
I’m calling B.S. on this one...

And I’m not buying it. I had a brake switch failure after just 11 months and use only homemade soaps and no fabric softener, no hair conditioner,no lotions, no cologne, no perfume, no dash dressing, no vinyl conditioner, no silicone or any product containing same.

Why aren’t other manufacturers or even other switches having issues? An item tucked up under the dash? I think they are looking for an excuse for PR reasons. Suck it up and admit you went with the cheapest producer and got screwed. I like honesty.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5i CVT
200 Posts
New Subaru Recall Developing!

A new Subaru Forester Recall for some models of 2014-2016 Forester for brakelight warning light switch may be disabled by some siliicone cleaners. Brakes would work but not their lights. Allso effecting some crosstreks and imprezas. Watch this one today, guys, more to follow from Subaru.
Subaru recalls 1.3M vehicles in US for brake light problem

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
128 Posts
After having to replace all 4 hub bearings at less than 65,000 miles – this is walk in the park……
First and last Subaru…..

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT
40 Posts
Brake light switch Ignition recall....hard starts

I have been researching hard starts in foresters since I got mine and It occurred for the first time. It seems it's the later model foresters that have this issue. Could this recall be the elusive fix? Or am I dating myself right now.

I haven't.found a solution ANYWHERE

·
Premium Member
2014 Touring with Eyesigh CVT
616 Posts
The recall doesn't sound like your issue from what I researched.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT
109 Posts
According to my vehicle's service records, the brake light switch has been replaced before by the previous owner under warranty, I presume with the updated part. When I plug my VIN in to the site now, it now shows this as a new open recall. I wonder if there's another newer part now.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i CVT
936 Posts
Oh snap!

... I had the switch fail about a year ago and picked up a replacement at a Subaru dealer. The new switch had a green dot on it that wasn't on the original. This makes me think it was a newer/modified version of the original switch. I wonder if the problem is going to return again...

Perhaps I need to find something better to treat the door seals!
Hopefully your new switch lasts...

I’m calling B.S. on this one...

And I’m not buying it. I had a brake switch failure after just 11 months and use only homemade soaps and no fabric softener, no hair conditioner,no lotions, no cologne, no perfume, no dash dressing, no vinyl conditioner, no silicone or any product containing same.

Why aren’t other manufacturers or even other switches having issues? An item tucked up under the dash? I think they are looking for an excuse for PR reasons. Suck it up and admit you went with the cheapest producer and got screwed. I like honesty.
X2, WTH Subaru, honesty please. Gotta be cheapest vendor they could find problem, growing way too fast.

Whatever off-gassing they claim would probably kill the driver long before the switch.:)
Agreed.

After having to replace all 4 hub bearings at less than 65,000 miles – this is walk in the park……
First and last Subaru…..
Ya, Toyota's partial ownership hasn't upgraded the never lasting wheel bearing problem, but we now have gadget overload. :furious::mad:

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium CVT
258 Posts
According to my vehicle's service records, the brake light switch has been replaced before by the previous owner under warranty, I presume with the updated part. When I plug my VIN in to the site now, it now shows this as a new open recall. I wonder if there's another newer part now.
Will they reimburse those of us who had to do the fix already?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts