Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a recall notice from Subaru of America for the Front Passenger side air bag. It is part of the infamous Takata explosive airbag recall. The SOA recall instructs owners to NOT seat anyone in the front passenger side seat until the airbag can be replace when the part become available. Estimated replacement time DEC 2017. What am I going to do until then?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Perhaps you can just unplug the weight sensor, under the seat, and fool the system into thinking no one is in the seat even when there is. I did that and the OFF light illuminates for the passenger side. I feel a bit more comfortable.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
airbag Control modules

Perhaps you can just unplug the weight sensor, under the seat, and fool the system into thinking no one is in the seat even when there is. I did that and the OFF light illuminates for the passenger side. I feel a bit more comfortable.
I considered doing this, too. However, after reading the owner's manual I discovered this.

& System monitors
A diagnostic system continually monitors
the readiness of the seatbelt pretensioner
while the vehicle is being driven. The
seatbelt pretensioners share the control
module with the SRS airbag system.
Therefore, if any malfunction occurs in a
seatbelt pretensioner, the SRS airbag
system warning light will illuminate. For
details, refer to “SRS airbag system
monitors” F1-58.

It seems that the seat belts and airbag are controlled by the same control module. It might be possible that the seat belts will not function properly if the airbags are not armed by the weight of the passenger in the passenger's seat. I will need to ask Subaru for clarification.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good point, which is why I said I only feel a bit better. I'll look further into the issue and post what I find here. Perhaps we can figure out some alternative to having to forego front seat passengers for what could be 6 months, or more.

·
Registered
613 Posts
They should give you a loaner, and store your vehicle. My wife had a Honda loaner for 2 or 3 months.

Losing your passenger seat is a MAJOR inconvenience.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Does anybody actually know what they take apart to change the airbag? I'm not talking about guessing what they take apart. I want to know what is removed. I am not a fan of somebody taking apart the dash area... always goes back less than OEM than before. Anybody actually see them doing the work?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An excerpt of the recall.

I am not able to contact SOA directly. Their phones are very busy this morning!

An excerpt of the recall.

These vehicles are equipped with certain air bag inflators assembled as part of the passenger frontal air bag modules, and used as original equipment or replacement equipment. In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of the front air bags, these inflators may rupture due to propellant degradation occurring after long-term exposure to absolute humidity and temperature cycling.

Safety Risk

An inflator rupture may result in metal fragments striking the vehicle occupants resulting in serious injury or death

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Does anybody actually know what they take apart to change the airbag? I'm not talking about guessing what they take apart. I want to know what is removed. I am not a fan of somebody taking apart the dash area... always goes back less than OEM than before. Anybody actually see them doing the work?
The module replacement requires the removal of the entire IP upper to access the airbag module assembly so basically every trim piece in the front of the cabin is removed (A-pillar trim, lower dash trim, glove box, radio, instrument cluster, vent grilles, etc). Book time for the replacement of the igniter is 1.6 for a 09-12 Forester according to the TSB.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
thanks for that.^^ So they are going to take apart my whole dashboard???// ***. It won't go back the same. Blown airbags mean the car is totaled..... they don't replace them... so ... my car is totaled.
How Can I just disable the mofo and have the rest of the system working?

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
How Can I just disable the mofo and have the rest of the system working?
The ODS and SRS are not designed to not be disabled. If you are genuinely concerned that you cannot operate your vehicle safely between now and your scheduled airbag service I would reach out to the retailer or Subaru CDS and see what they can do about getting you into a loaner vehicle until the safety recall work has been completed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Both our 2010 Outback and Forester had this done back in December/January. It only took them about 2.5 hours and there were no rattles/creaks in either. The tech said he has been doing one a day for months.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NOT recommended.

I just heard back from Subaru of America. They strongly advise NOT to disarm the airbag by disconnecting the passenger sensor. I call my dealer and they are ordering an airbag. I hope I can put this behind me.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Is there any Kevlar vest and face-shield provided by Subaru that I can have the passenger wear while sitting in the passenger seat?
The notice I received said to wait until I hear further from Subaru, as there was a a shortage in parts.
No creaks or rattles depends on the person doing the work... not the job itself.
I dread going back to a dealer for anything, as they will start poking around in the motor compartment and drop a list of 'things that need to be done' on me.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Scheduled appointment for airbag

My Subaru Dealer called today. My airbag is available and my appointment is next week. Now I don't have to worry about my passenger's safety. Hope others replacement airbag goes as well as mine.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had it done in my Tribeca here in PA and they had the part in stock. I had a loaner for just 4 hours. It was almost too fast....but I liked my 06 Tribeca better than the 2016 OBW they gave me so it worked out well.

You are luckie. Subaru Canada dud the same with letters for the Tribecas ....maybe 6 months no stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
333 Posts
I just got a recall notice from Subaru of America for the Front Passenger side air bag. It is part of the infamous Takata explosive airbag recall. The SOA recall instructs owners to NOT seat anyone in the front passenger side seat until the airbag can be replace when the part become available. Estimated replacement time DEC 2017. What am I going to do until then?

I noticed yours is a 2012 Forester? Does anyone have a 2011 that has a recall letter? So it would be helpful to know. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts