Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Subaru Rear Diff Protector, What good is it?

11K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  DaveL 
#1 ·
Subaru Rear Diff Protector, is it necessary? Some answers provided.

I took the thing off to dump the oil. You can leave it on, but it gets filled with oil. I plan to modify the protector with a large hole to help the oil drain out without making a mess. I'll post pics after the mod.

Anyhow, the reason for this post is, what good is the diff protector? So I took a photo of the scrapes I've put on it from rocks.

It has taken some hits and scrapes. Was it necessary? Probably not. But if I give it a harder whack, I feel better knowing it is there! Of course, the rear diff is much higher than the exhaust and the sump guard, which take the most abuse. In setting priorities, I'd get a good aluminum sumpguard before getting the diff protector (which is what I actually did, see my sig).

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey MountainBiker I know what you mean about it filling with oil. I had the dealer change my rear diff oil and it just made a mess. I plan to cut a notch out under the drain similar to what someone else on the old board did. That is my summer project.

Its like wearing a face shield in hockey. Its not necessary but you should see all the scratches and marks on mine! Its cheap protection and easy to install.

#5 ·
Steve said:
I haven't even gone off roading yet and I'm happy I got my protection. At $70.00 including install a little peace of mind goes a long way.

We offer these for just $54....

see: https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=diff+forester

I have one on all of my Subaru's.

necessary? maybe not.

but I know that nothing is getting through that sucker AND the diff!!! :D

Jamie Thomas
Jamie at chaplins.com
[url=https://www.subarugenuineparts.com][img]https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/images/design/logo.gif[/img][/url]
[url]www.subiegal.com[/url]

#6 ·
Subie Gal said:
nothing is getting through that sucker AND the diff!!! :D
Very true. I know I've heard packed snow and also grass running the length of the car (underneath of course). Would a diff protector be necessary for them? Probably not, but what happens about that hidden rock or log?

#8 ·
Markomyt1 said:
Hey, I did a search and found this thread.
I am looking for an aftermarket skid plate to replace the plastic one under the engine that got torn off during our last snow storm by going through 14"+ of hard chunky snow.
Any ideas?

Thanks - Black Blur
Welcome! Primitive Racing makes some very nice underbody protection pieces. I have one of their custom skidplates and rear diff protector, and they have served me well so far. You can also get the skidplate customized with access hatches for the oil drain/filter, so you don't have to drop the whole thing for each oil change.

Here's a picture of mine:

#10 ·
I wouldnt fuss too much about access holes - the thing is held on by probaby 4 bolts and shouldnt be much effort to remove.

I got a subaxtreme one (made in Australia) but the are now out of business!

Defintely a good thing for sand, as sand easily catches the plastic one and will tear it off. In fact in sand you are probably better with nothing than the original one.

#12 ·
Yes.
About 2 weeks ago Jody called me to explain as I had an order with them. He even asked if Id put it on the internet, but I posted it at offroadsubarus as that is where most of the interest comes from.

They are finishing out existing orders and getting rid of remaining stock.

#15 ·
GIT-R-DONE said:
I like mine, any kind of added saftey is better than none

WOW!! I wanted more stuff from them :(
Contact them right away, because like DN said, they are selling off stock. I'm considering some of the SubaXtreme goodies that are leftover right at this moment.

G
#17 ·
I just installed my OEM rear differential protector. What a PITA that was. I don't know about you guys, but removing some of those 14mm bolts were pretty rough. I figured since I was changing the rear differential oil, now would be the best time to install this piece. Man it was a lot harder then I thought due to limited access. It probably didn't help that I didn't jack the forester up, but still it took a bit of tooling around to get the spacers lined up.

#19 ·
Cubby said:
Hey MountainBiker I know what you mean about it filling with oil. I had the dealer change my rear diff oil and it just made a mess. I plan to cut a notch out under the drain similar to what someone else on the old board did. That is my summer project.
Much easier than removing the guard.:grin:

#20 · (Edited)
I will echo what sleeper said - the OEM rear diff guard is a PITA to install. Moreso than you'd expect at least. Getting the guard high enough so that it would line up with the holes (pry bar and dead blow hammer), lining up the spacers just right, etc. It took 45 minutes to an hour.

My Primitive front skid plate shipped yesterday; hopefully it will be much easier to install. :think:

#21 ·
How did you deal with the rusty bolts/nuts on the back end of the differential? I just purchased a read diff protector for my 2001 Forester, but had not looked closely at how rusty those bolt/nots are until I got under the car this past weekend to install my sway bar upgrade. They are bad enough I feel like I am likley to damage something trying to loosen them.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.