Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a used 2017 Forester Touring with Eyesight with 50 thousand km from a dealer. It has just finished the 3-year warranty and the dealer is offering the Subaru Protection Plan for $1700 which provides "complete" protection for another 100 thousand km. Is it worth the peace of mind?
Many thanks,
AndrewHall
Ottawa, Canada

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,250 Posts
We plan on buying that plan for our 2019 OB. IMO that looks reasonable.

·
Registered
2012 Forester X Auto
2,104 Posts
@AndrewHall
Welcome to the forum.
The quoted price will more than pay for itself if just Eyesight fails...
Is the warranty extension for "another 100K" or a TOTAL of 100K (50K from your present mileage).
Typically, Subaru warranties are all based from the original in service date (when first sold) and for total mileage.
As far as the "peace of mind", that is a value proposition that only you can assess.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport Rubber band
550 Posts
How many years, miles and deductible? Is it a Subaru Gold Plan or a dealer offering? Is complete coverage 'bumper to bumper'? Vehicles over 36K miles and 3 years are usually not eligible for Gold Plans. $1725 is what I paid for a 10yr/100k miles/$0 deductible. I would investigate a bit more.

@DragonSubie7 is dead on on all points. All insurance is a money maker for whoever is offering it. I bought for peace of mind. I have 9 more years of not having any repair bills. New cars are not "nickle and dime" anymore they are "hundred and thousand". An eyesight repair in year 9 or 10 won't be the $1500-$2000 it is now. More like $3000+. As DragonSubie7 said, It's your tolerance for peace of mind.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
38 Posts
be aware of the fact that the price of these warranties is negotiable...it is essentially a "pure profit" item for the selling dealer, so I would definitely negotiate your best deal.

·
Registered
2017 Forester Premium 2.5 CVT
7 Posts
When comparing options, make sure you are looking at Subaru literature and not some cut sheet created by the dealer and presented by some slimeball in the back office. I was not prepared and got taken advantage of when I bought my CPO Forrester by the dealer who showed me a pricing sheet with a number of different, confusing options that they had concocted with a mix of Subaru and aftermarket warranty options.They also failed to mention that the "Classic" plan existed from Subaru. I managed to avoid the aftermarket traps and ended up with the Subaru Gold plan, but in retrospect I would have just gotten the Classic coverage. It is cheaper and covers only the big, expensive items. Especially since I tend to make my own regular repairs, this would have been a better option in my opinion to save some cost and still be protected in case of something big going wrong.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
5 Posts
We have 2017 Forester Touring with lots of accessories and we bought a gold plus with 0 deductible and never regretted because it has already been a few issues that been taken care of without a peny spend including dead battery recently, I say take it, if it's Gold plus with 0 deductible

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
When comparing options, make sure you are looking at Subaru literature and not some cut sheet created by the dealer and presented by some slimeball in the back office. I was not prepared and got taken advantage of when I bought my CPO Forrester by the dealer who showed me a pricing sheet with a number of different, confusing options that they had concocted with a mix of Subaru and aftermarket warranty options.They also failed to mention that the "Classic" plan existed from Subaru. I managed to avoid the aftermarket traps and ended up with the Subaru Gold plan, but in retrospect I would have just gotten the Classic coverage. It is cheaper and covers only the big, expensive items. Especially since I tend to make my own regular repairs, this would have been a better option in my opinion to save some cost and still be protected in case of something big going wrong.
Yep. Even if you want a Subaru Warranty, buy it aftermarket!
Price it out over the phone/by email.

Unfortunately your experience is what they all do. All of them.

·
Registered
2017 Forester
20 Posts
I bought a 7-year warranty from the dealer for $700. Hmmm - I should check to see whether's it a dealer or Subaru plan. They give a store credit of $70 every 6 months - so that basically pays for oil changes. But it also psychologically ties me into dealer service which may possibly be more expensive than an independent. Now: given that: my battery died at 18,000 miles / 3.5 years. It wasn't covered by the dealer warranty and it was outside the Subaru warranty period.

·
Registered
2011 Forester 2.5X Automatic
196 Posts
Hey Andrew,

Only you can determine "peace of mind" ...are you a glass half full or a glass half empty guy? You need to read the warranty before you sign on the dotted line. Like DragonSubie mentioned ...and I would agree with him ...the warranty is most likely not a 100K warranty but a warranty covering the car until 100K. What are the deductibles and what are you required to do in order to keep the warranty active ...like the car can only be serviced at a Subaru dealership while under this warranty ...and what are things that will void the warranty. What do "they" mean by "complete protection"? Buying an extended warranty basically means you're betting the car is gonna be a maintenance nightmare; the warranty company has the actuarial information on their side telling them otherwise ...it's how they make money and they wouldn't be in the business if it didn't make them money ...it's a gamble either way but, hey, that's life.

OTOH, suppose you took that $1700.00 CDN you're willing to give to some "big evil money grubbing warranty company" and paid yourself with it. Yeah, just start a maintenance "slush fund" ...or call it Andrew's Extended Warranty ...and $1700 is a good place to start. Stick it in your bank account ...set up a separate savings account just for this ...and auto transfer, say, $100 a month. In 6 months you'll have $2300 towards any repairs; in a year you'll have $2900 to show ...plus any interest the account earns. You can let your fund grow as big as you want because it's your money. Use it as you see fit ...maybe you can cover a new set of tires or other less expensive regular maintenance ...save the slush fund for the big ticket items. Whatever. But unless you garner over $1700 in repairs in the next 50K klicks ...the warranty company "wins". And the idea you'll have no out of pocket expenses, as was posited by aperegudin a couple of posts above me, is false; he's just "prepaid" his maintenance costs by buying the extended warranty; if the sum total of his "no cost" repairs don't exceed the cost of the warranty then guess who's come out ahead? So if you sign up for the Andrew Hall Extended Warranty program and when your Fozzie celebrates it's 100K birthday and there's money left over in your "slush fund" account ...guess who wins then? Me, myself and I like winning.

·
Registered
2018 Forester, Touring
10 Posts
There is similar thread at: https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/i-need-advice-i-am-being-taken-advantage-of-updated.796513/

My comments from that thread are as follows:

I kind of feel like I need to weigh in. From my experience, I'm a fan of extended warranties. I've had them pay off double on two occasions. My rationale is simple - I keep my vehicles for 10+ years. I have a 2018 Forester touring and it has a lot of stuff that can go wrong. I'm confident the car will be mechanically sound for many years but the electronics scare the heck out of me. Having to replace any of the eyesight components will cost a fortune. With that said, $6613 for the gold plus is crazy! Like the car, I always (okay, my wife does the work) shop around. When handling the finance end, they tried to sell us the warranty at a ridiculous price. We showed the guy the quote we had and he hemmed and hawed but ended up matching it (less a few bucks). We all know the game, give a little here, take a little more there, and then squeeze out some more money. We paid $1,650 for the same warranty. (and while it is 10yr/100K) we all know that it runs concurrently with the standard warranty)

Bottom line - if a warranty will work for your situation, shop around. You don't even have to buy it with your car.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts