Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the subaru outback diesel and noticed that the oil is black as the ace of spades!! even after a change. Where I have the non diesel as well and the oil is a normal creamy look.

Other owners out there noticed the oil is always very dark black?

Thanks

·
Registered
2004 Forester
71 Posts
Black oil in diesels is quite normal. Had many diesel cars (utility's) and the oil was always much darker and a nice black coulour.

I think it should be fine unless someone else has an opinion?

·
Registered
MY09 XSn 2.0 Diesel 6MT
967 Posts
Black is normal. How many miles have you done on that oil ?

When you say "creamy" you do mean the golden, semi-opaque colour when it's new from the container. Not the creamy stuff after it's been mixed with water :icon_eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Black is normal. How many miles have you done on that oil ?

When you say "creamy" you do mean the golden, semi-opaque colour when it's new from the container. Not the creamy stuff after it's been mixed with water :icon_eek:
Only about 1000k

Yes Golden would sound better!!!

·
Registered
2015 SJ DIESEL L FOZZ CVT
225 Posts
I have the subaru outback diesel and noticed that the oil is black as the ace of spades!! even after a change. Where I have the non diesel as well and the oil is a normal creamy look.

Other owners out there noticed the oil is always very dark black?

Thanks
Don't sweat, blacks normal for diesels.

The oils are high detergent from memory and even after oil change looks black within a very short time.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X EJ253 Manual
2,802 Posts
Normal. My wife's 2005 Volkswagen TDI (diesel), the oil looks like black ink sitting on the dipstick. Right after an oil change, it becomes black as soon as a few miles get put on it. However, I have sampled the oil after a 9000 mile run (51,000 on the car at the time) and sent it to a laboratory for analysis -- the analysis came back okay, no problems found, no excesive soot and insolubles were well within normal limits as were wear metals. I would not worry about black oil in a diesel. Just be sure to wear nitrile gloves or better when doing the oil change because that black oil is very difficult to remove from the cuticles of your fingernails and underneath your fingernails etc., if you don't wear gloves.

·
Registered
2005 Impreza
8 Posts
Get used to it, a Diesel engine always colors the oil very fast, unless its a FIAT diesel. Some FIAT's seem to have clean oil for ages after a change, something I have not seem from any other diesel in the world

Just drove a brand new Peugeot 308 1.6 Hdi hatch with just 800 miles on it, the oil was black already!

·
Registered
07 Forester
10 Posts
Centrifugal oil filter?

I have heard of centrifugal oil filters that are capable of removing soot from the oil, and greatly improving the life. I am looking into one of these for my 82 GMC 6.2 lieter diesel that uses 2 gallons/change at a max of 2000 miles. Oil becomes abrasive from coked oil by the turbo.... On that note do the subies have an oil intercooler? Also curious as to the use of a water cooled turbo to keep intake temps down.. I so wish the diesels were here in the states, Id trade my gasser in tomorrow!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts