Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

621 - 640 of 675 Posts

·
Registered
2014 XT Premium CVT
190 Posts
Here you go!

Hey, guys, I am still waiting to hear from someone running this wheel and tire combination on the SJ Forester and wonder i) how it would look with 60 series tires on 17" wheels and whether it is a workable setup. I was unable to find a decent tire in 225-60 R17 and would have to step up to 235-60 R17 to get a decent tire like Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ and wondered about strut clearance given the 53mm offset, the wider 7.5" rim width and the 235 tire.

Bez

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT CVT
16 Posts
When it comes to wheels I feel like a dog chasing it's tail and I'm officially tired of chasing. I found some similar information, but not this specific question so rather than continue to run around in circles I'm going to ask you all that have a much better handle on this subject than I do. lol

I have a 2018 Forester XT and really want to switch up the wheels. I know that some 17" wheels will clear the brakes, but not sure if the 17" wheels off the latest Crosstrek (28111FL050) will do so. Do any of you know if these will work on my XT?

The other route I've considered going is the Rota Reece 17x8 that I've seen on a few other XTs.

Ideally, I will be able to run something that doesn't create other modifications for now as I'm not ready to invest that much money just yet, but would like to at least change up the look of the wheels a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring
12 Posts
When it comes to wheels I feel like a dog chasing it's tail and I'm officially tired of chasing. I found some similar information, but not this specific question so rather than continue to run around in circles I'm going to ask you all that have a much better handle on this subject than I do. lol

I have a 2018 Forester XT and really want to switch up the wheels. I know that some 17" wheels will clear the brakes, but not sure if the 17" wheels off the latest Crosstrek (28111FL050) will do so. Do any of you know if these will work on my XT?

The other route I've considered going is the Rota Reece 17x8 that I've seen on a few other XTs.

Ideally, I will be able to run something that doesn't create other modifications for now as I'm not ready to invest that much money just yet, but would like to at least change up the look of the wheels a bit.
I have the same, or nearly the same question. The Subaru in question is a 2015 XT (should be the same as the 2018 XT), and the wheels are 17" 2019 Crosstrek with 55ET. We don't want to run spacers, and are hoping the wheels and tires (225/65R17) will clear the brakes and suspension without modification.

Anyone have a definative answer for CohuttaFXT and I? Thanks!

·
admin
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
7,242 Posts
Repeating myself

Don't be afraid to use good quality 3 mm spacers. Avoid the cheap junk. I've been running 3 mm spacers for years. I'd recommend these.
Wheel Spacers - Primitive Racing

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring
12 Posts
I'm in agreement with you regarding quality, and thanks for the link, but it would be nicer if none were necessary as that's one less link in the chain.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT CVT
16 Posts

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring
12 Posts
I had forgotten about that website. It’s an excellent tool, and I used it quite a bit when I ordered up a set of Braid wheels for a Miata project car a while back.

You’re right about visuals; makes everything pretty clear. Thanks for the link and the reminder. I think we’ll most likely pursue the 17” Forester wheel angle as being he simplest, easiest, and cheapest alternative.

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 4EAT
64 Posts
'13 WRX Stock wheels on 04 FXT with JDM Bilstein Struts/Shocks

okay.... so long shot, but I looked through this whole thread and found a few people mentioning that I might need 3mm spacers in the rear only for these 17x8 et+53 2013 stock wrx wheels I just bought with 235/45/17's. I have stock brakes. Upgrading my stock suspension on my 04 FXT to JDM FSTi Bilstein struts tomorrow (Christmas in May) and just bought these today for a bargain, curious if anyone can confirm i need spacers or not.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Im wondering if this is the place.
I bought the wrx 2002-2003 16" wheels +55 for my 08 fxt. The oem for the 08 fxt sport is 48+.

The narrowing made my car feel finicky during turns, so would 7mm spacers help? Would it just lead it back to stock load onto bearings? or would 7mm be too much and load the bearings leading to early bearing failure? ... well early as in 190k worth of wheel bearing early.. Haha

·
Administrator
2007 Forester Sports XT 4EAT
38,105 Posts
Im wondering if this is the place.
I bought the wrx 2002-2003 16" wheels +55 for my 08 fxt. The oem for the 08 fxt sport is 48+.

The narrowing made my car feel finicky during turns, so would 7mm spacers help? Would it just lead it back to stock load onto bearings? or would 7mm be too much and load the bearings leading to early bearing failure? ... well early as in 190k worth of wheel bearing early.. Haha
The smaller wheel offset number would stress the bearing more than that +55. Installing a 7mm spacer just places the wheel back to the stock +48. It's not going to place any more stress on the wheel bearing than the stock wheel without a spacer. :wink:

One thing to keep in mind. The wheels bearings are known to fail, even with the stock offset wheels! :frown:

I seem to recall that there's a maximum spacer thickness, before it's advisable to install longer studs? :confused:

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
The smaller wheel offset number would stress the bearing more than that +55. Installing a 7mm spacer just places the wheel back to the stock +48. It's not going to place any more stress on the wheel bearing than the stock wheel without a spacer. :wink:

One thing to keep in mind. The wheels bearings are known to fail, even with the stock offset wheels! :frown:

I seem to recall that there's a maximum spacer thickness, before it's advisable to install longer studs? :confused:

Bobby...

sweet thanks.
how would smaller offset increase wheel bearing stress? I was thinking less due to the leverage arm shortening. just wondering the mechanics.

7mm is a lot..

·
Administrator
38,105 Posts
@frijoles the stock offset is +48. A larger offset number moves the tire/wheel inward towards the suspension... like that +55 offset. A smaller offset number, like +40, +42... what we have on our Foresters, moves the tire/wheel outward towards the fender. This will put more stress on the wheel bearings, which are know to fail even at the stock offset.

As to the +55 offset with a 7mm spacer. you will need to install longer studs to get enough threads for the lug nuts.

Bobby...

Reactions: frijoles

·
Registered
04 Forester XT 4EAT
64 Posts
okay.... so long shot, but I looked through this whole thread and found a few people mentioning that I might need 3mm spacers in the rear only for these 17x8 et+53 2013 stock wrx wheels I just bought with 235/45/17's. I have stock brakes. Upgrading my stock suspension on my 04 FXT to JDM FSTi Bilstein struts tomorrow (Christmas in May) and just bought these today for a bargain, curious if anyone can confirm i need spacers or not.

Thanks in advance!

Okay, so yes, I can CONFIRM that the '13 WRX 17X8 +53 DO need spacers when running a 235/45 tire IN THE REAR ONLY, I ordered 3mm hoping that would be enough and am going to give that a shot today or tomorrow.

I had no fitment issues in the front, but the back rubbed right away.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys.. Wanted to add to this post since I did use it to find out what other factory wheels will fit my sister's 2002 forester.

But I couldn't really find if the 2018/2019 Crosstrek premium wheels fit or not..

She originally had 15x6.5 (+45ish?) Subaru HUBCAPS with 205/70/15.. Beat tires and just ugly.

And the Crosstrek wheels/tires are 18x7.5 +55 with 225/55/18.. I took a chance if they would fit or not and just purchased from someone locally..

But luckily.. They fit.. No spacers.. Only thing I needed to do was shave off a tiny edge of the front lower control arm bushing bracket with an angle grinder.

The tears were very very close.. Within a credit card clearance!..but it is a static part that came that close.. So if it doesn't touch.. It won't.

I tested it out by driving up to ~75mph..doing fast circles.. Hitting bumps..reverse etc..

I will probably get some decent spacers for the rear to make them sit flush.. But these were pretty much bolt on! Cleared everything Lock-to-Lock. Very close.. But it all works out perfectly.

Honestly.. I thought they were pretty ugly at first.. But once they were mounted on the car.. They look to be aftermarket wheels and look great!

Wanted as much sidewall as possible.. And yes the OD is slightly larger with the new setup.. And making the speedo read about 3mph slower.. But it's fine

So..

Vehicle: 2002 Forester

Wheels are from :
2018/2019 Subaru Crosstrek Premium
Wheel:18x7.5
Offset: +55
Hub and bore: 5x100, 56.1mm bore
Tires: 225/55/18 Falken Zeix.

Modifications required:
-Slight trim on lower control arm bracket edge.. Basically just chamfer off the sharp corner.. It does not effect anything structural or safety wise.

Other than that.. Bolt ON.

hopefully I can get these pics uploaded

Hope this can help someone else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

looking at putting a set of these 2016 forester rims on my 09 sh forester, anyone have these and will i have any fitment issues? thanks
5x100 18x7 offset 48
forester18rim.jpg

621 - 640 of 675 Posts