Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2016 & 2015
104 Posts
why? what is not serious?
personally I still don't know the reason for doubling the life of oil depending if you are one side of the atlantic or the other...

I found the site I spoke earlier: https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html

do you think subaru takes enormous risks on its european market? if yes why?
and moreover what does wear the tires twice faster in US than europe...we have globaly the same high end brands...and if they don't wear faster why a doubling of the interval of rotation?

lots of doubts

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Premium PZEV 4EAT
1,053 Posts
...tire permutation or passing the rear to front and front to rear...every 15000km here or every year
every 6 month or 9600km for you
sorry you call it rotation item 20 in the pdf linked above...
Ah so, I wasn't familiar with that terminology. There are endless threads around on rotating tires, too. For me, it's a do-it-yourself thing: scheduling a weekend to do the "whenever" oil change, along with rotating tires, which allows a good look at the brakes, exhaust system, oil leaks, on and on. There is nothing like knowing what you've got, which you may not get from paid service.

I agree with you comments about the OCI differences. Over here, not much choice if a warranty is involved. After that, to each DIY-er his own.

·
Registered
2016 2016 & 2015
104 Posts
OCI? sorry what is it?
To show my goodwill and that i'm not lying here is a 2005 recomandation for cars that are still runing a this time in france:
Carnet d?entretien RENAULT SCENIC ? Révision, filtres, courroie

in french but the important part is "revision" (service) whaterver the "revision" is, there is at least oil+filter every 30000km or 2 years and that was in 2005 things are improving...i've heard some compagnies are willing to push it up to 50k km ...impressive but where the science stops and where the faith starts no idea...

these cars are not better nor worse in term of engine reliability than germans equivalents (there used to be a huge quality gap but nowadays it is gone).

my example is for french brand but it is same for BMW 330D for example (a brand you might be more familiar with) : 30k km changing in function of the evolution of state of oil and driving style.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
OCI? sorry what is it?
OCI = oil change interval

15000 km is actually closer to 9300 miles. Given that this thread pertains to the US maintenance schedule for 1990-2009 Subarus, that isn't really significantly more mileage than the factory OCI of 7500 miles (12000 km) for the non-turbo US models. Certainly not enough to sludge up an engine. The issue is more about possible consumption and keeping the oil topped off, I suspect. Maybe Americans are less likely to pop the hood in between oil changes and check their oil level, so it's generally considered safer to shorten OCI's to keep people from running their oil level down.

·
Registered
2017 Forester2.5i Limited CVT
789 Posts
why? what is not serious?
personally I still don't know the reason for doubling the life of oil depending if you are one side of the atlantic or the other...

I found the site I spoke earlier: https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html

do you think subaru takes enormous risks on its european market? if yes why?
and moreover what does wear the tires twice faster in US than europe...we have globaly the same high end brands...and if they don't wear faster why a doubling of the interval of rotation?

lots of doubts
Those oil change intervals that you claim are fine will cause a massive sludge inside an engine by no later than 60,000 miles which is why this is no longer a serious discussion. I have lost count on how many engines I had to repair because of these long oil change intervals.

·
Administrator
29,432 Posts
Those oil change intervals that you claim are fine will cause a massive sludge inside an engine by no later than 60,000 miles which is why this is no longer a serious discussion. I have lost count on how many engines I had to repair because of these long oil change intervals.
So why isn't there an epidemic of sludged up engines in Europe? Could have something to do with the fact that full synthetic is mandated for most all cars there (and has been for a while).

·
Registered
2016 2016 & 2015
104 Posts

you are plain wrong:
I dont claim they are fine: the manufacturer does.

the roads here are full of these cars and believe me 60000 miles (or 100k km) is nothing the immense majority does a lot more than that, as a matter of facts the cars rarely dies because of engine failure but more like because all the rest is falling apart :(

·
Registered
2017 Forester2.5i Limited CVT
789 Posts
So why isn't there an epidemic of sludged up engines in Europe? Could have something to do with the fact that full synthetic is mandated for most all cars there (and has been for a while).
Because they don't wait that long to change their oil.

·
Administrator
29,432 Posts
Because they don't wait that long to change their oil.
Actually, they do (sorry, I'm from Germany and don't know anyone who undercuts their manufacturer's OCI).

·
Registered
2016 XT
270 Posts
In general.. in the EU there is plenty of manufacturers (from all over the world ) that run higher service intervals, even 20,000- 30,000 miles with long life oils with no problems what so ever. The thing that needs to be taken into account here is the fuel, in the EU it is more refined than what the likes of the US, OZ etc get and that has a negative effect on the oil braking down sooner. There are vehicles which are sold in the EU which will never see the USDM etc (unless the fuel improves) because their fuels are just not clean enough for them to run properly without causing problems.

·
HCFFHC
2017 Forester 2.0XT
249 Posts
12000miles / 12 month service
  • Replace: Engine oil filter
  • Perform: Rotate and Inspect Tires
  • Inspect: Steering and suspension
  • Replace: A/C Filter
  • Inspect: Clutch operation
  • Inspect: Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
  • Inspect: Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system
  • Replace: Engine oil

Replace: A/C Filter? Are they talking cabin filter? I just hit 13207

·
Registered
2002 SF SG5 Cross Sports MT
5 Posts
The practice of owning Subaru showed that the best option for changing the engine oil and the filter is an interval of 5 thousand kilometers. I write it for JDM Subaru. But I think it all concerns. In Russia, the oil begins to lose its properties with a run of about 5,000 km, it begins to eat up ... turbo or not turbo - it does not matter!

That's it))
Affects the quality of the oil / fuel and the whole space where the car is used!

The data is taken from 12 years of experience, and not from the manual

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Forester CVT
2 Posts
I have a quick question about the 2018 Forester maintenance schedule. The official Subaru recommendation is to have the car serviced every 6K miles under normal conditions. I had my first service done at 6K miles,
and my local dealer (I'm in Upstate NY) told me that they recommend that the car be serviced every 5K miles. I was wondering if I should stick to the dealer's recommendation and switch to services every 5K, or I should stay on the official 6K schedule.

P.S. Funnily enough, when I try to schedule service on the dealer's website, it only offers 6K and 12K services, but not 10K.

·
Registered
2019 Sport CVT
789 Posts
I have a quick question about the 2018 Forester maintenance schedule. The official Subaru recommendation is to have the car serviced every 6K miles under normal conditions. I had my first service done at 6K miles,
and my local dealer (I'm in Upstate NY) told me that they recommend that the car be serviced every 5K miles. I was wondering if I should stick to the dealer's recommendation and switch to services every 5K, or I should stay on the official 6K schedule.

P.S. Funnily enough, when I try to schedule service on the dealer's website, it only offers 6K and 12K services, but not 10K.

If you can find an Independent Subaru repair shop in your area, they are usually so much better than the dealer. Here in Seattle, we've got a few Indy Subaru shops, and one I love. The dealer I avoid unless its a free or warrantee service. I just can't trust them to do routine service.

·
Registered
Sahuarita, AZ 2018 Forester Limited
2,741 Posts
I was wondering if I should stick to the dealer's recommendation and switch to services every 5K, or I should stay on the official 6K schedule.
When in doubt go with what the manufacturer recommends (6k miles), not what the dealer recommends (5k miles). Note that the manufacturer recommends 3k mile oil change intervals under certain severe driving conditions (repeated short trips, extremely cold weather or repeated trailer towing).

121 - 140 of 144 Posts