Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Just curious - why does the 2015 Forester need an oil change more often than the 2014 model? What has changed?
It's likely because Subaru figured out that many owners can't be bothered to check their oil level between changes. With the consumption issues that several of the recent model years have seen, shorter intervals = less chance of people running their engines dry.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can do the maintenance yourself. Just keep copies of your receipts for oil, filters, etc. also, keep a log with dates, mileage and what you have done.

There is nothing stating that you must have service performed by a mechanic or car dealer.

With this being said, my Subaru Dealer sends me coupons all the time for a synthetic oil change and filter for $19.99. For 29.95 they also rotate and balance the tires along with the oil change. All in all, twenty bucks is a great price.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2006 Forester premium 2.5 AUTO N/A
35 Posts
True for desert climates,
in Saudi Arabia our schedule is 3 - 5K miles using synthetics 10-W30 or 5-W30,
on other grades like 10w40 it can go upto 6k miles

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.5i
2 Posts
I own a 2015. I accidentally had the first oil change at 3,750 mi instead of 6,000 mi (going off of my dealer's recommendation for 2014 model from their website. OOOOPS). Do I need to get another oil change at 6,000 miles to satisfy my warranty requirements, or can I take it to 7,500 mi and get back on track with the maintenance schedule at 12,000?

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
Do I need to get another oil change at 6,000 miles to satisfy my warranty requirements, or can I take it to 7,500 mi and get back on track with the maintenance schedule at 12,000?
All you need to do is make sure you don't go more than 6,000 miles between oil changes.

You can do the next one today or wait until 9,750 miles without any warranty implications.

·
Registered
2005 sti
1 Posts
maintenance schedule for water pump

I have a 2005 Forrester 2.5Litre sti, should the water pump be replaces as mandatory at 100,000 kms for when the timing belt and associated pulleys are replaced?

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5x 4EAT
1,113 Posts
On Subaru's schedule, no. As a darned good idea because everything else is already apart, absolutely yes.

·
Registered
2015 Forester
1 Posts
Hi guys, I know I'm probably late to the party on this, but I'm trying to find a reference to it in this thread. My 15 Forester (non-turbo) is coming up on 5500 miles and I'm going to be changing the oil for the first time on it. On my Honda Element, I used Mobil 1 and Wix filters. What's the recommended synthetic to be used on this engine? I thought I remember reading somewhere on the forum that this engine absolutely hated Mobil 1.

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Automatic
610 Posts
I'm not sure who hates Mobile1. That is the sole oil I have used in my Impreza, SG, both SH's, and now my M5 during winter. There might have been somebody with a hard-on against it, but I haven't heard that ever.

As for oil and filters, use Subaru filters and crush washers, and whichever synthetic you prefer. Personally I use Mobile1. Just make sure that it is the right weight for your weather conditions (10w-40 vs. 5w-30).

I always get filters from one of the discount shops: subaruparts.com, subarugenuineparts.com, etc. Given you are coming up on your change, just buy a set at your dealership. Sign up for emails from the online shops and buy a box when they are on sale. I currently have 4 sitting in my garage right now, but that's a year worth for an XT.

·
Registered
2017 XT Premium
2 Posts
Hey @Donutman,

I am trying to use the link you posted, thank you for posting it by the way, but it is just giving me a blank page. Any clue as to why the link may not be working? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2016 2016 & 2015
104 Posts
this has probably being said before but I find it amazing that for the same cars there are such maintenance specification differences as here in europe service is every 15000km or every year... twice more
Is driving condition in US worse than here and/or lubricant worse quality? it puzzles me.
same goes for tires permutations

·
Registered
2016 2016 & 2015
104 Posts
it has to be due to road conditions as you said, because 15000km between services it is on the very low range of what can be found here...my previous car was at 2 years or 30000km as lots of them around here...never any issue motor wise in 6 years...nor with the previous car in its 6 years with same specifications...
full synthetic longlife oil though... the type that cost an arm when you replace it.

·
Registered
2017 Forester2.5i Limited CVT
789 Posts
Even with the superior road road conditions in Europe your statement is ludicrous. Those maintenance schedules kept me busy doing engine work when I worked as an automotive technician for a living even when synthetic oil was used.

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Premium PZEV 4EAT
1,053 Posts
...I find it amazing that for the same cars there are such maintenance specification differences as here in europe service is every 15000km or every year...
Your comments are interesting, but certainly not "insane" or "ludicrous".

But explain further what you meant by tire permutations?

·
Registered
2016 2016 & 2015
104 Posts
tire permutation or passing the rear to front and front to rear...every 15000km here or every year
every 6 month or 9600km for you
sorry you call it rotation item 20 in the pdf linked above

so is subaru taking insane risks? I would think they still have a safety in this european recomendations.
As far as my readings goes, there are certainely not a bigger ratio of breadown over here even though the sample is low compares to us+canada+australia (probably aroud 80% of subaru sales i would imagin).

so for the road condition I could imagin if the roads are very bad it would justify a shorter span but over here the roads are not smooth neither, the speed limits are probably higher than yours on motorways (and maybe a higher tolerance to overspeeding, 140km/h is a speed I can hold here for hours with no issue i often go well above this but on short time periods...and a lot of people are overtaking me), the road are very curvy in some places and the quantity of roundabout make braking and accelerating a semi permanent game here.

oil quality could be for the services a reason but why sould US have crappy stuff? (i don't believe that)
left to check: gasoline? nothing to do with the tires wearing though but yes low grade could affect the oil by contamination...but I doubt it would do that much difference here 95 octane is the low grade 98 high quality, and the diesel recomended is the basic one not the one that is more loaded of additives. (I have a 2.0i 2015 forester and a 2.0D 2016 forester from september witch surprisingly have some of your 2017 features but no eyesight)

so The conclusions that tend to come to my mind are (tell me if I miss something):
subaru is extremely conservative in US (maybe due to the facility for customers to prosecute in case of issue and the possibility of class action that we don't have here) and much less conservative here where the risks of lawsuite are reduced...we still have 3years waranty though (2 years unlimited), 100000km limit for the 3rd year and cars dont die at 100000kms (at the dealer yesterday was parked an outback with 300k kms with no issue )

The other possibility is that, no to upset people who says" the service interval has always been 6 months and anything above is crazy i would no buy such car" they stick to the specs used 30years ago...to satisfy ego of custumers who knows best, after all it does not cost subaru a dime to write 6 month instead of a year in the states while puting a year might cost them customers...her it does, nobody would buy a car with a 6 month service interval....even 1year seems a short span...in short could oposite behaviour of population influence the recomendation...maybe not only the technique after all?

No ofense to anybody (that is absolutely not my intention I just try to understand) but I did read a couple of years ago that the car manufacturers are having a very hard job making people in the US trust /follow their recommendations for long life oil service intervals and that most of the oil change is done way too early throwing good oil (and money) away because people stick to the old way while the engine and lubricants have improved enormously during the last few decades.

101 - 120 of 144 Posts