3,144 Posts
That would be Subaru's Official Maintenance Schedule for the USA only

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
stevem said:
That would be Subaru's Official Maintenance Schedule for the USA only
How much different in the UK or Canada for example? Although I think a 3,000 oil change is :?way to soon....especially those who use long drain interval synthetics. I think the minimum should be 5 - 6k miles IMO. :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Oil is 6 months or 7.5k/10k ( would be 10k for an XT )

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
stevem said:
That's more like it! 8) Now is that dino oil or synthetic?

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
stevem said:
But that is dependant on climate and environment. In desert regions, the interval is 3,500 miles for Dino. Higher heat and dust require more frequent changes.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
It's down to dealers choice - most use a fully synth 5-30 or 10-40 after the initial 1000 mile run-in.

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
Rx said:
I wonder if this covers JDM specs as well?
6months / 7.5k for JDM . Major services at 2yrs (30k) ~ fluids and 3yrs ( cambelt + )

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Stevem, in the Subaru link provided by Peaty, line item #3 is engine oil and specifies 7500 mile intervals. In the REMARKS colum it indicates note #1.

Note #1 is as follows....

"Notes

When the vehicle is used under severe driving conditions**, the engine oil and filter should be changed every 6,000 km (3,750 miles) or 3.75 months.

And ** specifies...
A) Repeated short distance driving when the engine does not reach normal operating temperature. (Items 3, 13 and 14 only)
C) Driving in dusty conditions.
D) Driving in extremely cold weather. (Items 3 and 17 only)
G) Towing a trailer. (Items 3, 4, 10, 11, 13 and 14 only)

I was off by 250 miles...

These are Subaru directives, not dealer recomendations, correct?

·
Registered
98 Posts
At 30K miles, the timing belt on my 04 FXT is supposed to be inspected.

Can anyone explain how can this be done without the 3 hours labor required to remove the engine accessories and belt covers to get at it? (My dealer has the same question.)

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Maybe it's just my computer, but the link for the maintenance schedule keeps getting 'page cannot be displayed'. :(

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
To Retserof: Looking at the engine you will see (with dificulty) that there is a timing belt partial cover you can remove to inspect the belt. If you open the inspection cover, just check the belt at several places by turning the engine a few revolutions. I don't think anyone does this including the dealer unless the dealer is VERY interested and or want to make money and more money.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
stevem said:
For an oil change the official Subaru service requirements list it as:

Every 12 Months / 10K Miles, whichever occurs soonest.

That being for a UK Spec car.

James

F

·
0 Posts
3 to 5k miles is the norm here in southern california is there any reason why it should be done less frequently?

·
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
frodo1mjg said:
3 to 5k miles is the norm here in southern california is there any reason why it should be done less frequently?
How many months between oil changes? Toyota's maintenance schedule is 6 months or 5k miles. :confused:

·
Registered
2001 SOLD!
1,413 Posts
:icon_eek: 105000 miles or 168000km for Timing Belt. Other car mfg. suggest 96000km. Another proof that Subaru cars are far more superior :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
2010 Subaru Forester X? Auto, 76k miles
2,157 Posts
Actually, timing belt is 105k in our honda as well. And the Subaru 2.2L (which is revered as a fairly bullet proof platform) was specified at 60k miles. Though that didn't keep the previous owners of our legacy from waiting until 91k!

And so when we bought it, little pieces of timing belt rubber were getting on the cranshaft position sensor, leading to non-starts and CELs. Uh, yeah, we got that fixed real fast!

·
Registered
2001 Forester
15 Posts
Questions

1. Is it safe to wait for 105k to change Camshaft drive belt?
2. I'm not sure when to replace the transmission fluid and filter.

·
Registered
2001 Forester
2 Posts
I just replaced my TB at 113K (unk service history) and it looked OK however, most of the info I ever got was not much more than 105 K on the clock. Inspection is no big deal if you pull the left side of the cover if you have an idea of what to look for that wouldn't be obvious. I didn't want to take a chance with a catastorphic failure.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts